1971 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
froggy said:
CIMG0073.jpg

Is that the new spot to install fuel filter? Ive always heard behind the firewall....thats BEHIND the firewall! :p

So i managed to do a job AND remember the camera this time :lol:
I (read we) decided the interior needs adjusting to suit our needs.
At the moment its fitted with a 3/4 bench bed but as we intend on using it this year i bought a full width R&R so the interior needed to come out.
Interior pictures as was
Picture004.jpg

Rear bench seat
Picture005.jpg

Overhead cupboard (table fold up and fits under this)
Picture006.jpg

Buddy seat and cupboard
Picture007.jpg

3/4 width bed (not R&R, made by fitting table and other peices between buddy seat/cupboard and rear bench)
Picture008.jpg

Parcel shelf storage
Picture009.jpg

Another picture of the bed (not allowed to work on Rusty without my helper :lol: )
Picture010.jpg

Standard layout
(up for sale see the board)
Took about 1 hour to remove (always easier removing than refitting)
While it was out i Hammerite Red Oxide 'd the floor
P1010002.jpg

And then loosely fitted the seat in place to see how it fits
P1010001.jpg

Then opened it out into the bed
P1010003.jpg

The biggest compliment i got was the wife was impressed 8)
I have since pianted over the red hammerite with white gloss just to tidy things up, makes it look cleaner.
Havent really given much more thought about the rest of the interior as the van is going to Volksmagic on the 3rd Feb to have some rear seat belts fitted either side of the rear seat, my van started life as a panel so Lee needs to weld in some strenghteners then make the brackets to lift the belt to shoulder height, so until this has been done i cant really do much more, although i already have the table ready to be fitted
CIMG0665.jpg

CIMG0664.jpg

After reading some threads at work the other night (cheers Steve, you know who you are!)
I went shopping, so now i got this to fit aswell
P1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

I will try to remember to update after the seat belts have been fitted as i'm sure other panel conversion owners might be interested in the job done

Not done much this week due to work and weather but
Now you see it
Camper10.jpg

Now you dont
P1010004-1.jpg

Have just re-fitted the bolts into the captive nuts until i can get the time to get the angle grinder and welder out!

With the van being away this week having the rear seat belts fitted, i've spent to long on here looking at various threads (and starting a few :wink: ) and becuase i've had a few dys off i've been playing, and with thanks to pete nice for some measurements i made this.
p1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Having sold my interior the van is looking a bit empty and having failed in my attempt to make my own R&R bed i still had enough 18mm MDF lying around, had to adjust 1 or 2 of petes measurements to suit the wood i had left but i think its turned out alright.
Went to Dunelm Mill and bought some 3" blue foam for the cushions (560mmx1000mmx76mm approx) for £12 also got some fabric but not sure if it going to look right so will hold off n this for the time being.

froggy said:
After reading some threads at work the other night (cheers Steve, you know who you are!)
I went shopping, so now i got this to fit aswell
P1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

I will try to remember to update after the seat belts have been fitted as i'm sure other panel conversion owners might be interested in the job done

glad to be of service matey! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dig that table :mrgreen:

Was out and about this morning getting a few items just in case it snows badly again over the weekend and walked into our local Blacks Outdoor activities shop (http://www.blacks.co.uk).
Just having a mooch around (as you do) and noticed what i consider to be an absolute bargain.
A 2 way cooler (240V & 12V) reduced from 89.99 to 29.99.
So i bought 1, when i get the van back i can now try to build a cabinet around the cooler to hide it but it gives me something that we hadn't really thought about or planned to get but couldn't really not buy it for this price
P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Just picked the van up from Volksmagic after having the rear seat belts fitted.
I'm over the moon with the quality of job Lee has done.
I taken a couple of pictures as i think they will say a lot more than i can type :lol:
P1010014.jpg

Even had a middle lap seat belt fitted which i didn't expect or ask for 8)

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

A view of both sides showing the brackets that were made to lift the seat belt to shoulder height for an adult or a childs seat(the main reason for having b3 point belts fitted!)

P1010017.jpg

Instead of using long reach belts Lee fitted a brace bar between the wheel arches and mounted the lock parts of the belts to this. Also adds a bit of strength to the van.

As already said i'm over the moon with the fit and finish and even now seeing the way they have been fitted i dont think i could ever of done anything like this or even thought about fitting any this way. Just incase anyone is interested they are Golf MK1 belts

Not really done a fat lot this week due to work but i have finally got the foam for the RnR bed, taken delivery of 25m cream vinyl to cover the foam and hopefully the interior panels, and today i went to the wood yard and got an 8x4 peice of 9mm ply to do the beds kick board and the floor.
Also while i was there i positioned the Buddy seat i made just to see how everything looked and also to see how musc room i had left to play with.
P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Just need to find someone to cover the bed cushions now!

froggy said:
P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Just incase anyone is interested they are Golf MK1 belts

Hi your doing a great job there, were the rear seat belt brackets made specially, if so could I beg borrow steal a sketch/drawing or maybe I could buy some from the person who made yours ?

Had a day off so thought i'd have a play, seems a shame not to :lol: , so after taking delivery of 25m cream vinyl i call a bloke to find out about getting the RnR foam covered and got quoted £175 for the 3 cushions and £25 for the buddy seat cushions, just so happen to be talking to my sister and find out that she has an 'A' level in Textiles. 1 trip to the fabric shop for some needles and thread (also some velcro to stick the cushions to the seats)and i've saved £190 8) Already got the buddy seat cushions back and although its not perfect its a good enough standard for the price :wink: .
Also cut off a bit of vinyl to cover the kick board and fitted some sockets, speakers and 12v outlets, also pre-wired everything up so just need to wire the leisure battery up this weekend and install the 240V hook up and its on to the next job!
Actually remembered to take some pictures so heres the finished kick board
P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010025.jpg

2 x double sockets, 1 x fused spur (this will connect to an in-line RCD and then onto the hook up socket) 3 x 12v outlets (2 wired together in paralell and 1 wired seperatly for the fridge) and then of course the must have 6x9 speakers 8)

Managed to get the hook up socket fitted and ran the cable to underneath the bed. Also mounted the leisure battery on the spare tray (passenger side of engine bay).
Didn;t take any pics but will hopefully finish it off tomorrow and will take some pics.
Just need to wire the in-line RCD to the fused spur, earth the leisure battery, fit the switch relay unit, connect leisure battery + to the fuse box, connect the 12v sockets to the fuse box, re-wire the stereo to the fuse box, run some speaker cable the full length of the van etc etc, then i can move onto next area of resto!
Hopefully got a mate coming round tomorrow to price up some floor tiles aswell, thinking of going for blue and white but not sure if the white will look odd with the rest of the interior being cream?

Latest posts