1971 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as i've been trying to prep the bodywork ready for a re-spray i thought its about time i posted an update.
Not really a bare metal re-spray but have taken a layer of paint of and flatted everything down, them a couple of coas of primer and hey presto ....................

I need some filler :lol:
Looked quite smooth until i primered it, so more filler and its probably as good as i can get it without it going to a body shop.

DSCF1169.jpg

DSCF1170.jpg

DSCF1171.jpg

And these are my most recent purchase, a few emails / phone calls and plenty of internet searching and i now own a set of 1/2 2/3 seats for the front. Need to get them covered at some point but astonished at the prices i've been quoted so i might just buy some replacement covers and try it myself. :?
DSCF1172.jpg

Will try to remember to update as i do more work but as usual i'm usually half way through a job before i even remember about using the camera :lol: :lol:

Looking good dood, didnt realise yours was a converted panel. ;)

Nice one. Coming together now!

Liking the bare metal respray ;)

We need the pics so please don't forget :D

Still playing with the bodywork but its nearly ready for a re-spray. Still trying to decide whether to go for a single colour all over or add a white roof and paint the bumpers to match.
Anyway a few more pics.
DSCF1175.jpg

DSCF1176.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

The reason the doors and the engine lid aren't primered is i have 2 new doors and another engine lid in the garage already primered just need to fit them but going to wait until the vans in my mates garage as i have to work on the drive and dont fancy stripping the windows out of the doors and having to refit them in just 1 day.
Not yet filled the bumps/dents in the front panel as waiting until we take the windscreen out, if the screen surround is in need of repair then i might just replace the complete front panel

Hi there how do find the weber? does it ice up/ reliable? looking to change from stock but cant afford twins just yet!

Not had any major issues with the weber, yet to suffer from icing but i did replace the heat risers for new 1's when i fitted the carb.
Definately better than standard carb and a cheaper option than twins, although some people do have horror stories about the progessive carbs but i've not suffered with it

Managed to have a little play with a few things this week inbetween the weather and work (the 2 bains of my life :x )
Finally got all the bracketry made and welded for the front seats and fitted them, just need to sort out some seat belts now but its a start.
DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1198.jpg

Also made the passenger side kick panel, used some hard board and sprayed it black, its not the best but it will do a job for the time being.
DSCF1199.jpg

Also decided that as i now had blocked off the walk through with the bench seats then i might aswell block it fully.
DSCF1200.jpg

Now have a blank rear interior to play with.
DSCF1201.jpg

Interiors coming on, it almost looks like you know what you're doing :lol:
Is there gonna be a unit across the bulk head?

windsurfer said:
Interiors coming on, it almost looks like you know what you're doing :lol:
Is there gonna be a unit across the bulk head?
Yeah think thats what we are going for, seems stupid now we've blocked the walk through up not to use the extra space so looking at ideas and have seen a few westy style interiors we like so........
still keeping the full width RnR and with having (and sleeping in) the awning we're trying to use the interior to its fullest but still give the kids room to play in should the weather turn nasty at any point.
Just awaiting a phone call from my mate about arranging a time and date to get the van upto his house and start on the re-spray :D as i've done about as much as i can externally on the drive so now need it inside somewhere to complete it

Froggy, that bus has come a long way, certainly looking good, will be great to see you at a show in 2010 and catch up.

Looking really good mate,and like the converted panel look,little bit different bud.....nice work. :)

Had a little play today trying to fix a leaking exhaust and while underneath the van noticed the dreaded rust was starting to show its face through the primer (the bus is now my daily) so even though its the wrong weather and i'm outside on the drive i thought why not, if a can get at least a light coat of paint on to seal the body then i can always flat back and topcoat it when i eventually get to my mates (shift work and priorities have sort of stalled the official respray) so.......
Washed it, flatted back with 600 wet and dry, tack clothed, pre-panel wiped and sprayed.
Not looking to bad in all honesty, a few runs that will need sorting out (they can wait until top coat) and
DSCF1428.jpg

DSCF1429.jpg

DSCF1430.jpg

Heres the results from my mornings work, a bit bluer than i hoped for and have also decided that because of this the roof will now be white.
Still need to do the front, the back and remove all the windows, do above the swage line and fit and spray the new doors (just sprayed over the existing doors as it looked odd with just the sides done) but you get the idea.

Latest posts