1971 Devon Sunlander Pastel White

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now that guy does know what he is doing 8) that looks like 1 sweet finish dude ...loving the bus :D

the bus has now had all its paint, just the dash steering column and gear stick to be painted now, oh and the bumpers and rear hatch but the shell is done, will get some pics next time i go down to see it, i am expecting it back soon to put it all back together :D

pk1was said:
i want to lift/remove the fibre glass trim round the pop top to prep and paint the roof and gutters, anyone any advice on how its best done, before i attack it and make a balls of it

hope you like the pics

i recently removed my roof and it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. there were four pieces of wood with around 60 screws, more than half the screws sheared as they were so badly rusted, there is alot of no more nails type glue and the fiberglass might be damaged as mine was. Be careful taking out the springs in the mechanism as the retaining screw can fly off and its hard to find if you lose it.

if you want pictures let me know.

i have just ordered the new roof bellows and seals etc for the roof, Mr visa paid again :lol: so will be attacking getting the roof back on in the next couple of weeks and the new upholstery is and vinyl round the windows and windows back in soon too. just waiting for the final flat and polish to be done.

pics soon

did you go for the solid bellows? im just curious to know what came with the bellows? fixing etc?

pk1was said:
yeah more than chuffed, i have collected most of the parts to put it back together, although im shittin myself thinkin about rebuilding the dorrs and putting the seals and scrapers on to new paint.

hi firstly the vans looking ace !!! with regards to putting the scrapers in ........masking tape ,masking tape, masking tape ,..................and lube and another pair of hands too ......oh yeah almost forgot i built my doors on the kitchen table on a quilt........so much easier than when there hanging on the van , plus when you do hang them....... four bolts, check strap done !!(i did that bit in a ramsey voice)
2.jpg

photo5.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

oh yeah bang some soundproofing in too it doesnt half make a difference .....

keep up the good work

chris

Looking good and like the idea of doing the doors in your house - especially with it being soo cold ;)

cheers fellas.

crede999 so when are you poppin doen then putting my doors back together, :lol: looks like a good idea with the sound proofing, what have yo used to do it with. can you give me an order of jobs when putting the doors togehter i.e what goes in first and last etc. please.

i have ordered the white canvas bellows with no windows, nothing has arrived yet, when it does i will let you know what comes.

i might get a bit of time on sunday to go and have a look, whats happening but work seems to be getting in the way of my social life at the mo far too much :D :( .

update as soon as anything is done

crede999 so when are you poppin doen then putting my doors back together, :lol: looks like a good idea with the sound proofing, what have yo used to do it with. can you give me an order of jobs when putting the doors togehter i.e what goes in first and last etc. please.

the sound proofing i got from a local car audio guy it cost £110 for a big roll i did the whole van for that including floors ,doors ,sides and some of the roof, popping down where about are you i dont mind ? with regards to which order i think it went something like this its been a year now !! but have your manual handy !

get organised lay all the bits out , ready ,

firstly take your time, do a bit have a brew , do a bit have a brew, do a bit have a piss !!

grease all moving components ,i say again grease all moving components !!! lock winder even where the bar goes through the plastic retainer, hinges, lock
soundproofing
waxoil the bottom of the doors while you can
check strap
door lock / catch....... handle
glass and winder mech
scraper
felt channel clips then felt
quarter light
lock bar
lock opener
door card
winder handle
door pull
line up screws !!! (you can always tell when a resto has been done properly , have a look at the next show and shine you go to see whose bothered , its always the better vans )
door rubber ........ i use a toothpaste tube of evo stick squeeze a line in the groove and then use a small dry paintbrush to spread it ,a 10mm brush is ideal this way you dont get glue all over the place !!
turn over
mirror, delux trim
reflecter

admire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brew !!

it took me about 2 hours to do the first one and about an hour to do the second !!
it may not be the right order but get yourself organised i always have a tub of grease and a small paint brush handy to get grease in all the workings, all screws that go through body ,and get an areosol tin of waxoil with the straw on the end ,to waxoil the bit where the skin of the door joins the door frame because thats where the water may sit if it gets in ............theres nothing worse than a scabby door after a few years when the rest of the van looks ace !! all for the sake of a bit of waxoil ,

oh yeah i almost forgot you need a big pair of balls to pick the door up now !!!

take it easy and dont smack the door on the door frame of the kitchen lol
IMG_0103-1.jpg

regards
chris

cheers mate, thats a good guide.

dont think i will have a problem with the brews, i love a brew. im near Bolton. im going havin a quick look tomorrow to see if i can get on with anything

the roof bellows have arrived, so i might have a go at fitting it this weekend, depending on the weather and if i have another pair of hands available.

pk1was said:
the roof bellows have arrived, so i might have a go at fitting it this weekend, depending on the weather and if i have another pair of hands available.

i think im as excited as you about seeing this, plenty of pictures please!

Weather and work have stopped play for a couple of weeks, however the roof is going on this wednesday, will take plenty of snaps, the engine is being put back together on thursday and being treated to loads of new service parts. thursday and friday sees new vinyl and foam around the windows and on the pop up part and the static part of the roof.

me and my son have been busy this morning cleaning up and re painting the rear tinware and other little parts. we have been sorting out all the little parts and cleaning tthem up.

so hopefully this week should see us a little bit closer to the end of the tunnel.

just a quick question. when fitting the seals to the doors and tailgate etc, do you use a glue to hold them in, if so whats the best stuff to use?

cheers

had a day on the van today, dragged it out got the engine started and serviced, which is a big weight off my mind as it hadnt started for 15 months. im having a couple of days big effort on it so watch this space

03032010026.jpg

03032010022.jpg

03032010023.jpg

03032010024.jpg

03032010025.jpg

the stance suits it already!!!! and ive taken a liking to the finish on those wheels :lol:

...mk1 in the background looks pretty good??

This looks awesome dude!! Cant believe how many EB's there are near bolton!! we could have our own NW chapter :lol:

Loving this bus dude!! :mrgreen:

thanks for the comments.

thats my mk1 gti, its turn is next just need to get this finished first ;)

been fitting the roof bellows today, what a bastard. took all day and about half way through, will get some pics when i can, hopefully the bus is coming home tomorrow, the dash has been sprayed and a final flat and polish and thats the shell completed, doors to follow next week, also had my interior trimmer down, will get some pics of the door cards :)

pk1was said:
been fitting the roof bellows today, what a bastard. took all day and about half way through, will get some pics when i can, hopefully the bus is coming home tomorrow, the dash has been sprayed and a final flat and polish and thats the shell completed, doors to follow next week, also had my interior trimmer down, will get some pics of the door cards :)

curious how many helpers did you have to fit it?

Latest posts