1971 Dormy....six months later

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksoncaddy

Reaction score
I thought it was high time I showed my bus - seeing as it's finally on the road!

I aquired it in March this year and, well, lets put it this way - the underneath was solid so it seemed like a good buy :roll: .
On the way home about 10 miles into my journey the engine blew due to a massive oil leak it was suffering. When I got it home and started to actually go through it, I realised that almost every inch of the body needed attention. Despite having new panels etc fitted about a year ago, it was only finished in rattle can primer, meaning that the weather had started to rot away the body again.

I fitted a newly rebuilt engine, all new ignition system, new alternator, re-undersealed the whole underneath, new gear shift bushes and almost 6 months of body work. I finished it in VW Turkis Green and Cloud white.

This is how it stands now - the jobs over the next few months are to sort the interior and fit some decent wheelage - the Vauxhall jobs don't really float my boat. Anyway! half way there, sort of! :mrgreen:

Oh, ignore the side rear window, I just need to get down to VW Heritage and get some glass :roll: :p

This is how it looked before I got it...

BEFORE.jpg

....and now

outside1.jpg

outside3.jpg

outside2.jpg

Engine.jpg

inside.jpg

back.jpg

outside4.jpg

Cheers for the comments people.

The wheels don't look as good as they look there, I might get 'em refurbed and keep them for a winter set.

I'm feeling the vibe of chrome Fuch or some sort of chrome going on. I know they don't last five minutes, but style over fuction?

That looks tidy, very nice indeed!! 8) 8)

I'm not a fan of the wheels, but if you like them you should keep them - it's your bus after all!!

Looks like a really quality ride!

;)

That is looking sweet 8)

I quite like the look of the wheels but would worry about running on alloys that are 110pcd, i know other also run 114pcd alloys and don't seem to have any probs.

Fair play mate,turned the bus round in good time.Would look good on gasburners :mrgreen:

wow!i went up to buy this bus!spent about 4 or 5 hours with the bloke!have you got any pics of the work you did?as in the body panles and the "slight allingnment issues"that the bloke told me it had!?nice job tho mate loving it. :)

I've got a few, i'll dig them out. To be honest, the sliding door still is a bit off at the bottom. Its one of my winter jobs! Saying that, with a new seal it is water tight but looks a bit off .

When I got it, you couldn't really shut the passenger door and the drivers door was almost impossible to open from the inside :roll: Most of the body issues had been touched up with a can of primer before I saw it I think (different shade of grey)! Still, i'm lucky enough to have a double garage to do the work in.

Seeing how much work i've had to do I wouldn't say it was a great buy to be honest. At least I know now that it's totally solid and most of the mechanical side is new!

It's having twin Weber ICT 34's fitted next weekend. Happy days 8)

o nice man!well yeh i was realy tempted buy it but then found another one a bit cheaper!either way i love what you have done with and would love to have a look at a show when i get mine done!

take it easy :)

A few pics from the beach today...a late bay pulled up along side which was quite cool. Really could have done with some sort of heater.... :roll:

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3244.jpg

DSCF3243.jpg

DSCF3242.jpg

DSCF3234.jpg

Latest posts