1971 Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugger

Reaction score
Having looked at some of the fantastic resto threads on here,i thought i would add my own.
I bought my crossover a few months back and started sourcing parts and gettin the underneath sorted
resto006.jpg

resto008.jpg

carol001.jpg

It was quite a Daunting task it needed a front rhd chassis leg which was like finding hens teeth,two rear qrts front clip and the usual bottom 9 ins.having sourced all the parts the work started.
carol2009.jpg

at least the floor was ok :lol:
DSC00108.jpg

the chassis leg welded back in
carol2029.jpg

carol2028.jpg

and the underneath done as well
carol2014.jpg

carol2015.jpg

carol2019.jpg

I havent added all the pics as after also having all the brakes, rear backing plates,cylinders
new brake pipes and almost everthing underneath done including steering as well,off she went to the bodyshop to have front clip and rear qtrs done,only to be told that the complete roof was fcuked and with all the seams rusted through on the roof it was unrepairable,now some of you might say have a roof transplant but with already stretched funds i had to draw the line so i decided enough was enough,i had 3 different people check it out and all said the same

So there i was with my dreams in tatters and the guy who was going to do all the work telling me he wanted the van out of his way in days bearing in mind he had plenty of space i was pretty pissed off,thanks Mark,but i had the van moved in less than a week.Anyway you know i said about the chassis leg being rare as,well i had manage to borrow one from a mate of mine who had a 71 he was gonna restore next year so i had some time to source one.His name is Kevin (KDC Bristol)who had just restored a 68 to its former glory,a stunning van,anyway he offered me the 71 at a good price withn a very solid roof and a complete headlining which hasnt any tears and is in excellent condition,the rear qtrs are good and the front clip is good as well so a lot less work for a good price and free storage as well,the not so good was the rear tailgate engine lid no slider no windows and both doors need replacing,but i thought (here i go again) the 72 would be an excellent donor.
Well the tailgate doesnt fit,nor does the engine lid but the slider should and all the windows plus the rust free doors i bought on here will and i got a rust free lid at slough and i have the rust free front clip and also the complete rust free rear qtrs including roof section for sale anyway some pics of the 71 and i will update as work progresses as i enjoy reading other resto threads and hope you will enjoy mine too
Also like to thank Alan (OVC Bristol)who has a 68 for his help and assistance too and Martin (KDC)
van004.jpg

van005.jpg

van007.jpg

van008.jpg

Havent done much recently as had to have a knee operation,but the 71 has had all new jacking points and outriggers,chassis leg reinserted and steering again

nokia010.jpg

nokia018.jpg

nokia012.jpg

Im aiming to put the Original Moonraker interior back in to the 71 that came out of the 72 i am restoring the interior the best i can but its hard to get catches and handles

nokia008.jpg

nokia009.jpg

Oh :shock: and the 72 ended up like this :lol:

carol6009.jpg

xmascruz005.jpg

Appologies for not keeping this up todate but have been rather busy,the van has been named Nagmo and is now not far off going to paintthe van has been sanded down all over and bare metaled from the roof down to make sure there are no further surprises,i will try to update on a more regular basis

nokia066.jpg

nokia070.jpg

nokia074.jpg

nokia073.jpg

nokia075.jpg

nokia078.jpg

nokia080.jpg

We had a trial fit of the rear tailgate engine lid and rear apron and were very happy with fit

nokia083.jpg

the front inner panel i place

nokia085.jpg

the front outer panel in too

nokia109.jpg

nokia111.jpg

nokia112.jpg

nokia114.jpg

nokia118.jpg

nokia120.jpg

will add more soon

Crossover is the cross between a low light, and a high light.

The 72 model still has the low lights on the front, but has the Oblong rear lights that are on the 73+ high lights.

Of Course this is no longer a crossover resto but an Early Bay resto :D

Sorry havent posted much about this resto but the painter has been taking his time Yawn but getting close now

nagmo.jpg

nagmo1.jpg

094.jpg

Latest posts