1971 ratstoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and yes it’s a 2 year only colour called elm green or ulmen grun l60d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the new look. I went dark green to the roof too. That bit of distress on the petrol cap cover.....brilliant touch. Your bus has tons of atmosphere. Read the previous mentions re: negative comments. Some comments from people are just worth ignoring. You got a bus to be proud of.

Thanks so much , I didn’t want to mess with the fuel flap as that is what I uncovered when I took the black off and it’s all og factory paint !!

When you said about the paint, something twigged. I looked at some of the photos of my restoration. And there it is, burnt orange at the base, white then dark green. Now you’ve got me wondering about original colour too. Cheers.

slammed72 said:
Thanks guys for the encouragement, the guy in question was very derogatory about the quality of the restoration and the “fake patina” I can only assume he was more taken by the cheque book resto on the Brazilian split with bunting in next to me lol

That is exactly my point, personally I am not into the 'Happy Camper' side of the scene, bunting, picknik sets, camper called 'Mavis' etc, however, being part of the 'scene' I accept that style, appreciate the work that goes into them and understand that the scene would not be what it is without them, just as the majority of those people understand the same for ratlook.

He may have not liked your bus, everyone has an opinion and that was his, but it was something that he should have kept to himself, I am sure he would have been annoyed if you followed him back to his car (probably a 2012 Astra) then picked out all the stuff you did not like and told him.

Your bus is great and looks how German steel should, stern!

Get back to work on your bus and get it ready for summer enjoyment, I know we would all like to look around it :party0047:

Thanks cunning plan , I’m certainly a bit more into it again. I’ve decided to only do 2 Vw shows this year though as I think I needed a year out. I’ve been doing most of the shows since 2001 and it’s not ness got better. We will defo have to have a beer if you’re at skeg Vegas or dubs int dales

So just a quick update , need to say a huge thanks the George from this forum for lends of the compressor and air tools. This has made all possible.
e6de4210683b784c588cf6762ad82374.jpg

Still lots left to do all needs flatting and polishing and I don’t think it will be amazing but should look good and just to let you all know....... the stripes will be back. Stay tuned !

Looks (to me) perfect. Actually.....should be Capital ‘P’. Stripes? It’s your bus. It’s personal. Capital ‘P’. Be prepared. Capital ‘P’.......Think Marmite. Capital ‘M’. 🕉

Fair Play!!!! Just scanned your thread... from the beginning pics to this!!!!! Hats off to you...
This is the kind of thing I like reading about....

Far far better than an ‘open cheque book’ build!!!!
Keeping it real! Well done you!

So, thought I'd continue this thread as I bought this bus back in May 2022 having been through a few owners since slammed72. Unfortunately the bus had been stripped of some of the delux bits like the opening 1/4 windows and the motors been changed too I think. The most gutting thing is the camping interior has been removed and the suspension raised. Also, it was stuck in 1st gear when I bought it so it wasn't even driving...!

So this is when I got it.. looking a little sad..

IMG_20220627_183316.jpg

Anyway it's been slow to get things moving, I bought it for a reasonable amount and with work commitments I've not had a lot of time to get stuck in.

IMG_20220922_162151.jpg

At the end of last summer we pulled the engine and box out gave the motor the once over and concluded it was a stong 1600 motor running twin kadrons. A quick tidy up and sorted out lots of missing tinware. Gearbox was changed out for another that we sourced and we chucked it all back in after changing the fuel lines etc. Finally it moved under its own power again.

IMG_20221012_142512.jpg

More to follow

Last edited:
Having been through a few owners since it was painted, I don't ever think it got that flattened and polished it deserved. Paint felt rough and had a few runs in it but nothing that couldn't be sorted.

A fair bit of pachience, some wet and dry and lots of polishing compound and cracked out the machine polisher. We finally have a bus that shines now.

IMG_20221027_203749_373.jpg

Looks great and very very tidy in the noisey cupboard too. You have just got to name that bus something along the lines of
’Boss Drill’
or similar. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Gr8 Pl8 M8 :)

Looks great and very very tidy in the noisey cupboard too. You have just got to name that bus something along the lines of
’Boss Drill’
or similar. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Gr8 Pl8 M8 :)
Sorry.. you've lost me completely 😄

Latest posts