1971 US Westfalia Campmobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott-Westy

Reaction score
Imported from California with 36K on clock, this is how she looked on day 1. We waited a long time for a 71 westy in this condition. Nice early styling with easy to maintain 1600 and factory disc/servo up front. I dont know if the engine has done 36K or 136K.

DSCF0090.jpg

The bus is completely unwelded, all OG paint and very original inside with full westy campmobile ply interior and all original stickers even. It has a one off pop top fitted by a company in Ohio, date unknown. It came out of the factory on 2 September 1970 and still has original dated factory service sticker on inside of door and was manufactured for US export, bound for Los Angeles according to export code.

WestyBadge.jpg

Since we have had it I have tried to return the hacked about engine back to stock as much as possible replacing heaters, manifold, dizzy, air filter, US spec fuel breather system with charcoal canister and all missing tin and added electronic ignition and bug exhaust for better breathing. Fuel economy has virtually doubled from 15 to 27-29mpg on a run. Also added a rack, overriders, missing internal birch panels, jailbars, curtains, original ties, mudflaps, original seatbelts with all original hardware and all original icebox racks. I also sorted out the hook up electrics which now work and rewired the rear brake lights to allow me to fit twin bulb euro lenses at MOT time. Still looking for the infamous westy stool though!

airfilter1.jpg

At minute the bus looks like this:

DSCF0006.jpg

Derwentside4.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Plans are to keep paint as is for as long as possible, and when funds allow retrim upholstery inside, reversible drop by 2-3 inches all round on spindles, install leisure battery and thats it really.

Byreside2.jpg

Nice work you've done there.
what sort of electrnis igntion did you fit? I have a stock 1600 in mine but is thirstier than anything I can think of anywhere between 13/15 litres per 100kms (Idon't know what that is in mpg) but my mate has a 2litre camper which is heavier and uses 10/12 litres.

I like you line "that's it really" As if????

Cool bus, and nice to see a different roof. 8)

Ive fitted the Pertronix ignition system in mine. Its seems to be the best out there. £60 fit and forget!

cheers guys

yes petronix is what I used - very straight forward.

and yes I know the line "thats it really" was a bit optomistic :lol:

Putting stock dizzy on took mpg up another 2-3 in itself and how I drive affects mpg dramatically - light footed 55-60 is best for fuel.

The roof has a sticker on it saying

"The One Man Tells Another Pop Top - Patent Applied For" :? :)

Great bus dude, any lowering plans? :)

easy said:
Great bus dude, any lowering plans? :)

yes but I want something I can alter easily - some of the camp sites we go on are pretty rough.

any suggestions?

Cant go wrong with dropped spindles on the front, to take it down a bit. Depends on what stance you are after. Probably drop it a couple of splines on the back and dropped spindles on the front. Not to low then and you can still get in and out of campsites! :D 8)

In fact, just lower it till the mudlaps drag and then you know youve done it enough! :shock: 8)

Dropped spindles went on today, real subtle lowered front end, and factory ride quality.

Before (snob shot), stock height up front

DSCF0009-11.jpg

stock spindle stripped with shagged ball joint boots:

DSCF0010-9.jpg

Found one of outer bearings was a gonna:

DSCF0012-1.jpg

dropped spindle on with replacement boots and all new bearings:

DSCF0015-1.jpg

subtle drop about 3 inch:

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

Latest posts