1971 westy dodgy alternator - help me please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan71westy

Reaction score
Hi there everybody
I have a problem just started on my 71 californian import westy.
Saturday i tensioned my alternator drive belt using the shims as i have many many times before. Within 15 miles the belt was as slack as anything. On closer inspection the pulley had started to dissintigrate. I ordered a new pulley (proper quality one not cheap rubbish) new shims and a new woodruff key. Fitted them up and started the van. Within seconds the belt was slack as it was before, and there seems to be play between the alternator shaft and pulley too. I adjusted the shim stack again blaming the paint on the new pulley but the same happenned again, and again :( . If any of you guys / gals out there have had a similar problem could you please let me know how the problem was resolved
Thanking you in advance
Dan

Could be that you need a new alternator :( Bruce on here has just replaced his due to the top pulley wheel coming off.

Is there any strange wear marks on the top pulley wheel? if there are it maybe due to the alternator shaft having worn and this may need to be a replacement time 8)

Do you store any spare shims actually in the pulley wheel? (this can act as a kind of bearing and slacken the pulley).

Is your bottom pulley running true? have a look at the way it spins, cos if its out then you may have to replace it aswell, as it will pull the top wheel off.

and finally, is your top and bottom pulley in line? (if you look at it from above) if they are out, it can cause your pulley to pull out the other.

Well theres your starter for ten :D

you need to have a certain amout of shims on the top pulley at all times .So even if there not being used you store them on the front behind the retaing nut.

I didnt do this and tightened the top pulley into the shoulder of the generator at the time and eventully the entire front top pulley nut sheard off .....On the M6 :roll:

please consult your Haynes manual and check the alternator shaft isnt fracturing and therefore coming loose after tighting etc

Hope this helps :wink:

I have come across a similar problem with a couple of Bosch recon alternators recently on customers cars. If you need a used alternator I think I have one lying around complete with fan, etc

Gadget Boy said:
you need to have a certain amout of shims on the top pulley at all times .So even if there not being used you store them on the front behind the retaing nut.:wink:

Be careful as to what top pulley wheel you have, if its the standard or orginal or spin true kind, this is fine, but when you use ones like the CB performance top pulley it is best to store the spare shims in your tool box as there is no place that you can keep them centrally enough so that they do not hinder the pulley. 8)

Hi Guys thanks for the tips.
The replacement pulley was a just kampers good quality one (not the £7.95 one) original spec. The pulleys are quite alligned (im an engineer so its probably pretty good) however i haven't checked the concentricity of the bottom pulley. However the alternator shaft does appear to be worn. Boo more expense.
Its going to Scotland in 4 weeks for a 2000 mile round trip so a new one will probably be the best bet. Just leaves the mot (due 31st), tax and any remedial work. Its taken 11 months to prepare for this - typical!

Make sure that when you get a new alternator you get a new woodruff key aswell and its a nice fit, otherwise if its worn it can spin and cause mucho damage :shock:

Now go forth and purchase! 8)

speedwell68 said:
Is the top pulley in line with the bottom pulley, use a straight edge to be sure.

keep up that man! :wink:

Cheers everybody
I went down to VW Heritage today got a shiny new alternator, top pulley, woodruff key and belt boshed it all in there, lined the pulleys up and hey presto jobs a good 'un
also adjusted the throttle cable with an inch of slack and my twin carb linkage so they both open up at the same time now. Revs over 4000rpm for the first time in months!!!

Latest posts