1972 Bay rustoration topic

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygeistert

Reaction score
Hello All

After checking the bay forums out there I have decided to register on this one as it seems the best one. That said Even though I have a 1972 bay it is not an earlybay as it is one of the first few that have the large rear lights and new front. So if that is a problem let me know.

If not I'd like to share my restoration project with you and obviously ask a few questions along the way. I had a few fast beetles in the 90ies but this is my first bus. It is an ex German fire brigade with two sliding doors. We got it as a present from my soon to be wife's brother. The objective is to get it on the road. Then put a decent engine in and lower it quite a bit. The orignial paintjob is still present under the graffity. Hopefully this can be saved too. Currently there is a 34hp 1300cc engine installed, I am thinking about a two litre, but I am open to suggestions. I want decent speed, fuel consumption and reliability (I know that is what we all want) within reason...

Pictures in a minute I need to figure out why the forum does not let me upload them...

10qhrok.jpg

ic5mdz.jpg

10qbcwl.jpg

cheers

Chris

Hi chris Does your bus have a fuel filler flap or the fuel cap on show and are your engine lid hinges actual hinges or are they the wire type?

You say the bus is a 1972 so a crossover from early to late bay
I thought the crossovers had an early front bumper with no deformation panel thats all
Have you checked the m plate and vin number?

I have seen a fair few late bays of late with the indentity of earlier busses to get free tax

Hi, thanks for putting this in the right place

Mine is not a crossover it is one of the first few late bays built in 72. Hence the question if i am allowed to post in this forum.

The bus has been in Germany all its life and is garaged since 1998, and I have full history before that. So i doubt that somebody changed the identity to get it tax exempt, as its not a problem over here (I just moved to Switzerland from the UK) So on top of all the changes I want to make I need to figure out what is legal over here. The Swiss Motcan be a nightmare after all I have heard.

In regards to the details I will go and check next time I am in the garage. For now all I know is that for example the side windows and instruments (grey not black) are like the ones on an early bay or crossover model:

dgscqe.jpg

cheers

chris

You are correct that you have the earlier style grey speedo and from that pic i can also see you have the earlier style door catches aswell

Your bus may well be a 72 i just dont think ive come across a 72 with a deformation panel and late bumper before

Im sure the guys on the early forum dont mind you being here but if you want a forum more specific to late bays

Then theres the late bay dot com

Its moving over to a new server at the moment but should be back online tmw hopefully

Either way ill look forward to more pics of your bus :D

@Dave:alright I will GTFO...;-)

@paradox. As I said I am pretty sure its a 72. The papers say so. it was delivered in 72 to the Dossenheim (near Heidelberg, Germany) fire brigade and then a friend of my girl's brother bought it in the early 90ies drove it until 98 or so and then gave it to my girl's brother who wanted to use the side windows for his 76 2ltr westy. he dumped it in one of his storage halls and there it was ever since until now. I will get the numbers next time I am in Germany.

The plan is to get it welded and put a decent engine in this spring. I am not going to do the welding myself (no time). And i hope to source a good engine.

Currently I am thinking about a 2 litre t25. As they seem to be cheap(ish). I would have put a type 4 in but they seem to be pricey now. But I am open to any suggestions. What I want is about 70-80+bhp with good torque and decent fuel consumption. Long gearbox to be able to drive it at low revs on the motorway. I want to be able to do about 80 all day, but if you guys tell me that is unrealistic I will listen.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts