1972 Crewcab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubpower83

Reaction score
This is my latest acquisition - picked it out in mid July and all it needs in the short term is the brake system overhauling! It is a left hand drive Swedish forestry vehicle which has been in the UK since 2002. The underside is all original (never been welded) and the bodywork is equally original, except that I think the windscreen frame has been replaced at some point in the past - you have to look really hard to spot it!

Anyway, a few shots I grabbed in the sun the other day...

DSC_5151_lr.jpg

DSC_5154_lr.jpg

DSC_5159_lr.jpg

DSC_5160_lr.jpg

DSC_5161_lr.jpg

DSC_5162_lr.jpg

gninnam said:
That is a very sweet looking double cab you have 8) ;)

Thanking you! I'm chuffed to bits with it - wanted one for ages and this fitted the bill in all respects! 8)

Wouldn't mind stretching to DC next year - need to get the wife driving the current one first though (she refuses...) :mrgreen:

That was one of our criteria for the double cab - that Katy, my wife, could drive it too! She can't drive my Bus because it has non standard seats which are too high for her to reach the pedals :roll:

ooro said:
sure i`ve seen that somewhere before???
smart 8)

It's certainly been around a few shows before I owned it. The previous owner was in Sussex.

Hi mate , did your van belong to Rev Al from this forum?
He has/had one identical to yours , in the Eastbourne area.
Nice double cab by the way 8)
Cheers Paul.

CHILDSEY said:
Hi mate , did your van belong to Rev Al from this forum?
He has/had one identical to yours , in the Eastbourne area.
Nice double cab by the way 8)
Cheers Paul.

Not sure if he was on here with this double cab before, but I did get it from a chap near Eastbourne so its quite possible.

Been getting to grips with a few of the crewcabs issues over the last couple of weeks. Got the brakes working now (pistons weren't acting on the front discs at all) and now using the existing pads to scrub up the discs while waiting for new pads from VW Heritage.

Also uprated the front shocks to reduce the vehicle's bounce - got Bugpack red shocks on the front which have made a huge difference and mean the bus doesn't lift into the air when I go over a bump!

Next job, sort out the flat spot/fuel pressure/throttle issue which stops me using anything more than half throttle!

Oh... and its also had a new flywheel oil seal, full engine service, new sump plate with central sump nut, magnetic sump nut and a good wash!

A quick pic from my mobile while we had the engine out for the flywheel oil seal...
IMG00128-20100815-1343.jpg

And for good measure, one with my Type 3 Notchback...
IMG00109-20100719-1731.jpg

Barkafer said:
You have one of my wish list Bays there and a very sweet lookin one too. Is it gonna debut at the next ADK meet? I hope so :D
Cheers, Chris.

Hey Chris, it would be at the next ADK meet apart from I'm away working that weekend in Cornwall with T5 power (hopefully)!

Will more than likely be at the mid-week ADK meet with it in September though which will be its first venture there.

Cheers,

Mike

It was up for sale a on here while back, i would have been tempted if i had the funds. You are one lucky man :mrgreen: . I think a DC is on mose peoples wish list.

Been doing a little work on the crewcab today - new brake pads so that it hopefully stops properly. Just scrubbing up the discs on a couple of trips round the village, then bleed the system with more help from my good friend Drew.

IMG00167-20100910-1353.jpg

Oh, and the back of the pick up has become my cats favourite place to sleep - got to be careful with that one! :lol:

IMG00158-20100908-1344.jpg

Having finally got to grips with the servo brake system on the DC, it flew through its MOT retest a couple of weeks back so its got a green ticket again!

Not been on here much because I've been rebuilding my wife's 1970 Bug over the past two months. :msn4:

Its been a while since I did anything of note on the truck. Its a good reliable runner (if a little oil thirsty) which, if I'm honest, doesn't get a huge amount of attention apart from regular servicing and cleaning.

I have started building a new engine for the truck using my spare block which will be fully overhauled and rebuilt as a 1776cc, but more on that as it happens - all I'm doing is taking things apart at the moment!

Anyway, the underside is looking decidedly shabby so today I started removing the old flaky underseal so that I can give the chassis a full repaint. I'll be working on one area at a time to make it manageable and so far I can't see any metal that needs replacing - there is plenty of surface rust, but even being the animal that I am I haven't been able to put a screwdriver through any of it. Rusty areas will all be treated with rust killer first, followed by a healthy coat of red oxide (or two) then a gloss black top coat which will repeal water.

Here are the first scraping of the old underseal...

IMG00747-20111015-1554.jpg

Happily underneath on the chassis rails and floor I found original factory paint. Seems a shame to cover it, but I want the vehicle to last and I don't want to do another chassis rebuild in the near future like I'm doing (slowly) on my '72 bus.

IMG00746-20111015-1554.jpg

Then this evening at sunset I had to pop down to my office (a whole 1/2 mile from home) and couldn't pass up the opportunity for a nice picture, even if it is from my phone camera...

IMG00754-20111015-1831.jpg

Latest posts