1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to say your miles away from what you started with would be an understatement, you've done amazing work on this so far, dont slack now! :wink:

Just read the whole thread - the work you've been doing looks to an excellent standard 8)

Keep going 8)

Keep it going fella, just read the lot and got to say what a great job you're doing. Shit happens but you just have to get on with it, :) at least you'll know what a solid bus you'll end up with :)

Cheers guys. your words mean so much when is directed at someone like myself who has never attempted a restoration before - and when the resto was never meant to be s oin depth its encouraging that people out there look out for the next update. this really helps me to try and get an update to show progress asap.

i'm going to have a slow week this week as i am moving out of the rents and in with the g/f so i have to pack everything i possess ready for the move. also, the rents are back off their holidays so i'll have to see them before moving out.

either way i'll keep everyone updated :)

have to say, the work your doing is superb, its always the way with these vehicles. you start a job which you think wont take long but you keep digging and low and behold the job becomes a monster, but thays why we love these vehicles.

im doing a resto alongside yours and it gives me the kick up the arse seeing how other people are doing on theres, as sooner or later they have to get finished so we can get them out of the garage into the light and enjoy them for what they are

keep it up dude :)

HAts off mate, hats off 8) keep up the good work 8)

ok, managed to get down to the barn on tuesday and carried on working on the drivers door frame above the swadge line. i've got the B-pillar notched and the donor notched by the b-pillar and cut the a-pillars. i've cut them a little it bigger and i'll shave them down as i go. one difficult bit is going to be cutting the part of the A-pillar the branches out and goes over the top of the windscreen.

no pictures because not much progress made - well visible.

off down there this afternoon and may even get it tacked into place.

bloody hell its cold in that drafty barn - shouldnt complain though as i am not paying for it. cheers alan and matt!

some progress update for you guys. think we got pretty close to fitting this door frame now!

first fitment of the B-pillar was a little way off but in the ball park:

17102008386ez2.jpg

but after shaving little off here, little off there we managed to get these pictures. not bad gaps, one or two larger than originally anticipated but these should be able to be disguised:
17102008390qo6.jpg

17102008391hh4.jpg

near side (mirrored reference):
17102008385wb4.jpg

donar(not bad line i dont think...tweaked a little since this picture was taken:
17102008384za0.jpg

17102008387wz9.jpg

apillar:
17102008388ka7.jpg

17102008389rh2.jpg

thats how far i got this evening. got some thinking time until tuesday when i should be able to get down there again and possibly tack it in place and hang the door to check the gaps.

NaFe

more major surgery Nafe :shock: this one should have been advertised rotten as a pear as well :D

pinheaduk said:
some nice work again dude :)

where did you get the a pillars from around the front screen?

the whole upper door frame was oss a donar van - the red section. i have a front clip to go on that has a-pillars up about 16inches from the swadge line so i've got plenty of overlap to work with to notch.

Johnny said:
more major surgery Nafe :shock: this one should have been advertised rotten as a pear as well :D
- Johnny you are not suggesting that this van may have started life as a RHD sunroof deluxe are you? :)

all i can say is YAY!!!!!!!!!!! i think we've got the door frame all fitted with the gaps right in all the right places. i'll let you be the judge of this with the following pictures...

what i will say though is that i appreciate any tips or advice about all of my work as long as its been put in a constructive way :) after all the majority of the stuff i'm doing to the O/S will need to be done for the N/S. so even if its after i've done the work, it's always good to know for next time :)

21102008392bn0.jpg

21102008393il8.jpg

21102008394lu1.jpg

21102008395il8.jpg

21102008396hm2.jpg

21102008397pg2.jpg

template that was taken from the other side and mirrored - pretty good fit hey!!
21102008398cd5.jpg

little difference in top and bottom gap but this can be sorted with hanging doors and goes with difference in swadge heights on door to body.

what you think??

Latest posts