1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was down the barn till late last night so didnt manage to update last night. that will be this evenings fun :)

just a quick question to people in the know. what is this hole for? its blanked off on the other side. it appears to have been ripped out on this side?? :?:

07112008420rs7.jpg

either way its been blanked off this side as you will see this evening.

i started to attach the other wheel tub nd out wheel arch yesterday evening so pics to follow.

ok so last nights work.

a template was made for the remaining chassis section:
11112008427hb7.jpg

then welded in place:
11112008421ws4.jpg

then ground down...

before:
22072008284fg4.jpg

12082008347sr5.jpg

after:
11112008422sf8.jpg

11112008423ks8.jpg

still have to make a bracket to weld to the chassis and the top of the bump stop arm for strength.

my attention turned to the "Good" side. I mean the better side... i'll let you judge...

the outer arch came off...
11112008424yl9.jpg

nothing but OG...
]
11112008425dj2.jpg

i started to then pick off the wheel tub...
11112008426kq4.jpg

didnt quite manage to finish the picking and get the whole arch out but i'm pretty close. i hope to get the wheel tub out on friday. may have some time saturday too as the g/f is off to see some friends, so i get to see my friend :)

I know what you are all thinking, all i have done is mirrored the photos i took on the O/S and claimed them to be the N/S :)

NaFe

ok so a bit of an update. the N/S turned out to be alot better although i need another bracket for the bump stop. this was cut out for my old man to take into work and hopefully knock something similar up in the next few weeks.

i have taken the spring plate off this side along with the a-arm and the wheel assembly. this was put to one side - to make access that little easier:

15112008429zo9.jpg

the braket on this side was just in a good enough condition to be taken out in one peice for my dad to take into work and make a replica in some spare time:

18112008433fc0.jpg

18112008434ly8.jpg

this left the following hole that can really only be accessed with the plasma cutter again to tidy up and blank off:
18112008436zh9.jpg

the was a small hole which we sorted out - i didnt need such a big replacement but now it matches the other side:
18112008435mm8.jpg

and primered - you can hardly see its not original!
18112008437ih0.jpg

i have managed to get my wheel hub nut apart for the hub to be machined to fit into a disc. in future.

not sure of plan for firday yet, but have tomorro to think of whats next - apart from finishing off the bump stop chassis stuff

a slight aside, but i had someone off volkszone cut out a petrol tank shelf off a camper he was breaking. i specifically asked if it was in good condition and he said yes. i paid £30 for it and it eventaully arrived after about a month of paying him and not receiving anything. this is what turned up - somehow in one piece:
18112008432fp9.jpg

the two strengthening stripes on the underside are completely rusted through
18112008431fz6.jpg

i'm in the process of getting my money back - well i can hope. i paid via paypal so will see.

watch out for the ironically named SHAMLESS

more nice work. 8)

but bummer about the shelf, there seem to be alot more scammers on fleabay recently. im in the process of getting money back for the dodgy steering wheel, and got the rest of his shizzle pulled so there is justice :wink: .

looking good dude :)

must be catching myself and a few other people have got a few things either of ebay or other sites and the items have been in shambolic condition, at least paypal gives you a chance to get your money back if the people turn nasty

what did mr shamless think you wanted the shelf for? weighing in? its certainly no use for welding into any camper. :evil:

mike, i havent shamed him yet - apparently that doesnt go down well on forums :) so i'm told hehe. then again volkszone is like no other!! i am in conversation with the moderators to see if they can sort it out (or at least get the guy to reply to me) otherwise i'll be contacting paypal to see if they can do anything. in the meantime i am relying on the lovely scott wilson to source me a dry version from sunnier climates as he's getting me a few panels as it is.

didnt manage to get much progress done on the rear on friday. we managed to tidy up the chassis hole on the N/S with the plasma cutter and weld in a nice thick new piece. i forgot to take progress pictures cos it was so cold so only have this one:
21112008439jh5.jpg
[/URL]

i almost forgot. i was working tidying up around the wheel arch the local gardener came for his usual chat and asked me a question that went along the lines of, "is that meant to be like that?" can you see anythign out of the ordinary:
21112008438rg9.jpg

if you havent spotted it, look at the pin coming out of the axle stand!!!!! i was stradling that side when he asked the question. all i could say was THANKYOU IAN!!!!

unfortunately, apart from the bump stop brackets i dont really want to go on to fit the wheel tubs, because i need to replace the petrol tank shelf. i'm not too ken on replacing that after fitting the wheel tubs, as its going to tight enough as it is. so i think our efforts are going to be going back to the front and with a bit of help i think we are going to attempt the front clip!!!! a bit that both my dad and i are a little scared off if i'm honest. time will tell!!!

NaFe out

SH*T lucky the neighbour spotted that one else it could have been a trip down to Nevil Hall, ouch.....

that was a close one for sure :shock:

i was offered the loan of a plasma cutter but having never used one im not sure its a good idea for me :)

are they really as good as everyone says?

your dad is a genius with a mig :wink:

Johnny said:
that was a close one for sure :shock:

i was offered the loan of a plasma cutter but having never used one im not sure its a good idea for me :)

are they really as good as everyone says?

your dad is a genius with a mig :wink:

i wouldnt want to say its just point and press the button as i havent had a fgo at it, but i think it is

Nafe sorry about the crappy quality, i landed round this morning and the camera battery was dead so had to use my mobile... :|

bracket01.jpg

bracket02.jpg

bracket03.jpg

bracket04.jpg

bracket05.jpg

Plasma cutters are great provided the metal is clean and shiny it cuts a treat. Was fortunate enough to be able to use one on mine, give it a go now while you can and migging as well especially if your dad can teach you the skills. Never know when it could come in handy....I remeber being rather impatient as a kid and plugging me old mans welder in whilst he was at work, first taster was trying on a bit of not so clean metal and the sparks flying staight down inside my top, ouch soon got to grips although admitedly always good to have a sounding board / steer if things get more technical....

Keep the pics a coming fella

andewilson said:
is that a rear brake caliper mount johnny?

yep, you need astra mark4 calipers (preferably SRI) and Merc 180 discs (crossdrilled are available). Theres a small mod to the caliper to make it fit just shaving a little off the threaded joint which can be done with a cut off disc. The hub also needs machined to fit the disc.

Latest posts