1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spenmiester said:
anymore more news on how its coming along fella?

He hasnt been down the barn in weeks, think hes lost interest.
If I dont see him down here by the end of the week then I'm gonna chop it up and stick it on ebay :lol:

Loxy said:
spenmiester said:
anymore more news on how its coming along fella?

He hasnt been down the barn in weeks, think hes lost interest.
If I dont see him down here by the end of the week then I'm gonna chop it up and stick it on ebay :lol:

you'll be out of pocket if you do that mate :)

i am going to be getting on the case soon. no progress over the christmas period. all new times for me at the moment. back to normality now though i hope as i am back in work.

VeeDubMan said:
What is it about 71/72 Dormobile's? Mine needed all this sort of attention too.

I have had my 72 Dormobile since May and plan on hitting Europe this year - a little like NaFe - I know it had a resto 8 years ago and its showing serious signs of needing another, makes me gulp everytime I see resto's like this and hope mine won't be anywhere as near as serious as this, but it is going to be a great job when its done, and you'll know its ALL done to your high standard!!

Keep it up dude, take a short break if necessary but don't give it up!!

Happy New Year Fella hope your back on it, looking forward to seeing an update soon :wink: ......

ok, so small update for those who havent given up on me :)

i took all my panels to the bodyshop on friday and collected the following from nelly on saturday:

24012009458jc2.jpg

24012009461ul8.jpg

i also got the rear suspension stuff, dash, the bumper, the removable balance - for some reason he wouldnt even consider throwing the rest in for nothing :) On a serious note, what a real helpful guy. he could have easily just thrown the stuff in the back of my van and took my cash, but he was more than happy to go through every detail of what i was buying

on friday - 2 days time - the camper itself is taking a visit to the bodyshop, i'm so excited to see the progress being made

more pictures of the engine to follow - i've also asked the bodyshop to take loads of photos trail fitting stuff :)

NaFe

pinheaduk said:
love the colour of the audi - looks evil :D

what brakes you going to be using to stop the porsche lump?

i really love the two colours. cant decide yet, but i have a few months still :)

the front brakes are boxster S - 318mm drilled and vented with matching 4 pot calipers
the rears are the merc/astra affair that nelly and johnny had a thread about a while back

NaFe

Liking the Audi colour - as the hippies would say 'totally rad dude!!!'

:mrgreen:

I wish i had the time and money to have that set up!its going to be amazing.maybe see you down the Bay at the Cardiff aircooled meet.

D@VEY said:
I wish i had the time and money to have that set up!its going to be amazing.maybe see you down the Bay at the Cardiff aircooled meet.

i'm starting to question with i have the money hehe. ye i'm really going to try and get my ass to this one.

the camper is going to the bodyshop today. SO EXCITED!!!!

wish i could send mine to the bodyshop lol, would save me the hassle :), seems like everyones bus will be finished before mine hehe

how long is it going to be in the shop for? and are they spraying it too?

Haveacamper said:
D@VEY said:

i'm starting to question with i have the money hehe. ye i'm really going to try and get my ass to this one.

the camper is going to the bodyshop today. SO EXCITED!!!!
Which bodyshop are you going to?Also which colour did you go for?

pinheaduk said:
wish i could send mine to the bodyshop lol, would save me the hassle :), seems like everyones bus will be finished before mine hehe

how long is it going to be in the shop for? and are they spraying it too?

i've been given a 4-6wk timescale on just the fitting of the panels. that includes fitting and etch primering the panels once fitted.

not sure who i am going to get to paint it yet.

i'm hoping to get van finished by the end of 2009

thats not a bad estimate of time, as im guessing they wont be working on it 9-5 so to speak.

i was tempted to get the bodywork done by a professional but i might only get help with the front panel as its slightly wavey at the moment but going to give it one more go :)

friend of my dad's owns his own small body shop in hirwaun for many years so he's doing for me. i think he's pretty quite so will be working on it most of the time with his two other employees.

not sure on colour yet, leaning towards the bentley blue at the moment

Latest posts