1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its at the bodyshop:

img0862ge6.jpg

img0864qm9.jpg

img0866vg8.jpg

img0867ra7.jpg

img0868ls5.jpg

the farm cat wasnt too excited the camper was going to the bodyshop
img0863ja3.jpg

the farm cat wasnt too excited the camper was going to the bodyshop
img0863ja3.jpg
[/quote]

either that or he was so exited by the camper he decided to self felate :?

sorry for the cat, blow job camper joke. :D

Haveacamper said:

It looks like you have to align your steering, mate. This way you'll wear out your front tires in no time! :shock: :mrgreen:

As for the colours, both will look great I think! But why don't you use both colours? The Bentley colour for the body and the Audi colour for the roof or something like that?

i havent been on for a while, but im so glad you didnt give up. that lump nelly sold you sounds and looks awesome!

Johnny said:
i havent been on for a while, but im so glad you didnt give up. that lump nelly sold you sounds and looks awesome!

cheers johnny - the setup i bought off nelly is awesome, but i know that what he is putting on is and soon will be even better

well work should have started on the camper today - having said that i am not sure due to the weather

NaFe

Unfortunately, no progress on the camper last week due to a number of problems, but i have been informed that they are starting today.

i turned the engine over by hand on the weekend to make sure it staying in good condition for when its fitted. its alot easy to turn the flywheel than trying to put a spanner on the crank :)

time just isnt going quick enough for me as i want it to be finished lol

wahey!!! the work has started. i went to the bodyshop this evening and had a good chat to the main man. they have fitted the front clip and both outer wheel arches. the guy was telling me that they literally screw all the panels together with self tappers to check everything fits. then when everything is good he welded up the front clip and arches.
this is the passenger side:
12022009462yb0.jpg

this is the drivers and you can see where they have fitted it to the doorframe my dad and i fitted.:
12022009465eo8.jpg

the outer panel can now be re-fitted once the welds on the inner panel is ground down.

they butted the four chassis legs, but staggered each leg. they took the flanges off the two old chassis legs and cut the outer ones back. as seen on this side. they also then put new gussets ontop

12022009470iq9.jpg

you can see the but weld on the outer and the new weld on the inner right up against the flange. he kept the flange as it looked alot neater.

passenger door gaps:
12022009463wt8.jpg

12022009464yg1.jpg

passenger inner wheel arch area:
12022009466bw0.jpg

12022009468qn8.jpg

when fitting the outer wheel arches he opted to keep the original outer b-pillars and kept the replacement ones and spot welded from inside, which will then be ground back:
12022009467qb2.jpg

the replacement floor is both LHD and a late bay - the only one i could get from schofields. with it being a late bay the handbrake is differnent and therefore the frame had to be taken off:
12022009471il4.jpg

this is the frame underneath:
12022009472aq1.jpg

the new floor then had to be bent a little more than the press and a blanking plate needs to be welding in where the late bay has the step integrated into the floor rather than the wheel arch:
12022009469ar4.jpg

the guy at the bodayshop has taken loads of pictures which i'm going to get off him at the end, so you'll not see many progress pictures just the finished ones sorry.

i spoke to him about the progress over the next week and he's going to get on with the following: tomorrow he's going to finish off the front area then next week one of the guys is going to start on the panel opposite the sliding door and he's going to replace the rear corners. i think that i am onluy going to need to use up to the swadge line, but he'll bare metel it and see.

i discussed with him about the option of a custom fuel tank and he was more than happy to design one to fit the hole rather than make a tank with a given volume. he also said that he'd make one to utilise my fuel sender - as this is calipbrated to my fuel gauge. he's going to see whether its easier to fix the old fuel tank or make a new one. either way he's going to make the call as after all he is the professional. the engine bay inspection hatch has also arrived and that will be grafted in. i really look forward to seeing it next week.

NaFe

pinheaduk said:
some damn nice work there, and a good idea self tapping them to trial fit - thats one for the momeory banks :)

i'm really pleased with the progress and the standard. the self tappers is much better then tacking things in place and it only leave a 4mm hole once you take them out - if you remember to take them out that is hehe.

i just wish i lived just around the corner from the guy and not 45mins away so i could go on a daily basis.

i may pop up the trimmers this afternoon and try and get a quote from him.

NaFe

pinheaduk said:
have a crack at it yourself, not as difficult as it looks :) plus its way cheaper

i have porsche tombstone seats up front that will need trimming and a headliner that i would never attempt to trim.

i admire the work you have carried out on your interior, but dont think i could attempt it myself. i want to show the van when its finished in volksworld next year, to it has to be show quality. i dont think i could achieve this. if i was just having it for myself then i may attempt the trimming and interior, but with my aspirations of having a show vehicle once its finished i dont want to gamble.

NaFe

cant argue with that dude, didnt realise you were wanting a show winner :), plus i wouldnt attempt tombstones either. looking at the work carried out recently and that lovely engine you got off nelly, its going to be one hell of a ride.

i think the only time mine will get in the volksworld show will be in the earlybay lineup :), but might enter a few in smaller shows to guage interest.

well i popped into the trimmers on the way back from wokr today and the chap seemed a real good guy. spent 45 minutes chatting to him about different possibilities and routes i could co down. discussed the whole vinyl and leather route. he recommended leather for the front seats but whatever i wanted for the door cards and bed - due to cost. he also recommended me to stay away from perforated trim as it is difficult to clean as the cream goes through the holes and generally looks dirty. also he recommended that i put the darker colour of the two in the middle of the front seats as this is where i will sit. he seemed very helpful with tips etc and didnt seem too hung up on charging me for the most expensive either. he told me that i had to weigh up the look with the practicality. we discussed using two different colours and stitching. as i wasnt too sure on the patterning of my door cards and the rear seats he gave me a ball park of £2-2.5k for everything. thats door cards bed, seats, two buddy seats, front kick panels. roof bunks, headlining up front. he told me it would be best for me to make the templates to save me some money.he quoted about £500 for the front seats in two tone leather

the quote he gave me was based on all leather. and obviously the vinyl would knock a fair bit off, but also it would knock the quality off and also the lifespan of it.

he was working on some other bench seats whic took my eye. not necessarily the colour difference but the texture difference.

13022009474mm7.jpg

13022009475gq0.jpg

he also mentioned that he knew of a company that could embroider script into the leather if i wanted VW or something scripted into the headrest of my tombstone seats.

i discussed about the order in getting the interior and the upholstery and paint done in, and he said that he may not even need to see the bus so it can be done last. therefore i am thinking that i will:

-wiring and trial fit everything once i get it back from the bodyshop
-get the interior made,
-then paint the bus,
-then refit the interior
and then get the trimming done.

thats not a bad price at all for everything and decent price for the front seats in two tone leather.

i was told the same thing about the perforated headliner and with mine being manky alwyas comfirms something :) so im differing on either a wooden headliner or some other material. the embroidery in the top of the tombstone seats would look awesome but its similar to my bed base and badge, its personal preference.

did he give an idea on timescale if you went for it?

Latest posts