1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice colour choice. Proper old school colour. Do you think we will
Ever get our buses together with the Porsche engines in?

Great to see some colour going on.... and what a great colour too!
I do get very excited when I see fresh Neptune as it gives me a taster of what I have to come.

Make sure you keep the pictures coming as I'm probably as excited as you are to see the exterior painted shots!

Dan :)

cheers dan...when i get more pics, rest assured that they will be posted up too :)

Uber, i am sure we will get our busses running the way they should be ran, lol. However, i have been recording some worrying low compressions on no.2 cylinder - 105psi compared to the others around 155psi. 30% reduction. i was worried that it could either be a piston ring, valve, or cylinder to head interface.

i therefore carried out a leak down test on no.2 cylinder as well as no.1 cylinder as a reference. basically you pressurise the combustion chamber and measure how much leakage you get. the results are as follows:

no.1 Cylinder leak down results:
no1f.jpg

No. 2 Cylinder leak down results:
no2y.jpg

No.2 exhaust Valve:
no2exhaustvalve.jpg

there was a level of leakage that could be heard from the crankcase breather, which was coming past the piston rings. this is normal according to my porsche book. both cyclinders were consistent with eachother (the hissing that could be heard was the same volume and pitch). you could visibly see moisture (oil residue or condensation) bubbling past the closed valve.

i am inclined to believe that due to the engine standing around for 18months and not being run inder load that the condensation in the engine has been absorbed by the carbon and needs a good run out. i think i will just dress the engine, re-fit to vehicle and give it a good run up a hill!

i better get a wriggle on as the bus is painted!

img00388201107011221.jpg

img00390201107011222.jpg

img00391201107011222.jpg

img00392201107011223.jpg

img00393201107011224.jpg

and a sneaky peek at the roof against the neptune blue!!!!
img00394201107011224.jpg

bus hasnt been flatted back and polished yet. i turned up and they were just putting the last of the blue on. i popped in to take a few picks before they fired up the oven!

they've got the bumpers, grill, cover tracks, dash and bits and pieces o ye, and the wheels :)

lookin good mate get that engine in and running then see how it goes.

A little knowledge is dangerous. an empty house gets damps, and if you believe every surveyor damp proofers would be rushed off their feet. move in and get the heating on, problem solved. :D

it sounded bloody good last time i heard it run :D

Cheers guys. Its exciting! Just so many options on the sound proofing and thermal insulation. Still undecided on what route to go. Few people have been really helpful in sharing information!

How's ur bus coming on andy? Haven't had an update for a while

NaFe

just updated it, but only with a bit of wheel whoring :D . Nelly is back on it tomorrow so looking forward to seeing its progress. :D

I am in the us and have a crossover dormy - I feel so luck after seeing the work you are having to go thru to build this great bus. great job and I will be watching as it is coming together.

ok, popped up to the bodyshop and this time armed with my digital camera rather than my phone :)

its out of the oven now...still needs to be wet sanded, polished and waxed...but looking the part.
img0633ev.jpg

wheels have been repainted in matching black with the roof
img0634mu.jpg

the deluxe trim and bumpers again in the same matching black
img0635f.jpg

img0638so.jpg

img0639cb.jpg

the roof (looks a bit dusty. again still needs to be flatted and polished)
img0640hf.jpg

img0641n.jpg

img0644vt.jpg

That, my friend is starting to look smint 8)

The end is looking so close now - well made up for ya :mrgreen:

not much progress to report as i have been away for the last week on a city break with the g/f, and i havent been able to transfer the bus back to the barn from the bodyshop because of the weather!!!

i got back from hols on thursday and popped up to Bears Motorsport where I collected my rebuilt gearbox from. have otped to have taller 3rd and 4th gear rather than just the 4th. this meant i could go for the a 1.18 3rd gear and 0.75 4th gear. i could have gone for the 0.7/0.72 4th gear, but it would have meant i would have had to really rag it in 3rd before shifting. also i had to weigh up low engine speed for cruising and fuel consumption, as well as maintaining fan speed for cooling.

i was going to post a pic of the gearbox, but from the outside its just a black box, lol.7

hoping to get the tinware back from the bodyshop this week so i can work on dressing engine. o ye, and weighting for a dry day so i can ship the bus!

NaFe

Latest posts