1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems nothing will surprise you anymore on your bus! i like your attitude, i know ill feel the same when i get her i doors and the rust massager out.

loving the thread so far :lol:

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
it seems nothing will surprise you anymore on your bus! i like your attitude, i know ill feel the same when i get her i doors and the rust massager out.

i'm not to sure whether i like what you are insinuating. i hope tht you are not implying that my camper is full of bodge jobs covered over by a blizzards helping of filler, and that things have got so bad they cant get worse :p

NaFe

Haveacamper said:
i'm not to sure whether i like what you are insinuating. i hope tht you are not implying that my camper is full of bodge jobs covered over by a blizzards helping of filler, and that things have got so bad they cant get worse :p

NaFe

Calm down young un, think youve been sniffing too much filler dust :shock:

Heres a couple of pics to remind you of the good old days.
First one is of our buses at vanfest 06, second is of me sitting by your bus after a bike ride.........

IMG_0477.jpg

rusty.jpg

Haveacamper said:
Johnnyâ„¢ said:

NaFe

something like that :lol: , and im complementing your jaunty attitude and upbeat nature about these things in general :lol:

PMSL :lol: loxy, you used to be skinny and hansome! what happened? :p

how nice did the van look in those pics. who thought that there was so many corner cut (literally) and cover ups that i'd find myself in this situation. ah well i suppose people are only after a quick fix most of the time. now i just have to redo ALL of the fixes at once, properly...

so Loxy and myself finished work a little early yesterday and i was straight down to the barn and cracked on with the work. work this eve was to try and figure out what exactly had been patched up along the rear wheel arch. i knew there wasnt much of the original inner arch there and was pretty sure the outer was a replacement. after finding a serious overlap of repro panel UNDER the original i decided to just zip it out. found that the reason why fille was so think was due to the fact that someone had used 1 piece of metal from the A Pillar all the way back to the outer rear wheel arch. therefore they had to sculpt the seam between the rear quarter panel and middle panel and then follow the lineforward.

here you can see the reminence of the inner wheel arch, or is it the original outer skin??? i think the van is going to be a gd couple of inches thinner by the end of this resto. you can see the line i've zipped along. the middle panel you can see below the zip line is the extent of the overlap.

01022008008pf6.jpg

the area by dividing the middle and quarter panel has had some very discrete patch work. you may not be able to see it but have a go. its there somewhere. i'll circle it for you if you cant :)
01022008010sk7.jpg

this picture you can see again the extent of the overlap that a PO thought necessary. they they spotted along the top out lip and didnt bother grinding back. they just went ahead and caked the filler on like a friday night slapper.
01022008011kj2.jpg

just an aside: i'm still on the same sanding disk from when i started around the windscreen area.

i'm hoping that this is the only bad side and that it was parked by a house or shed for a while and picked up the moisture. I've recently sent off lletters to all of the previous owners with exception of the last to ask if they have any info on when the 2L T4 engine went in or work they did. one guy owned it for 10 years. with 14 owners i'm hoping for something back, but not holding my breathe.

FYI: if you want to get previous owners' last known addresses then fill in a V888 form from DVLA and cheque for £5. as long as you dont intend to use the information (addresses) in a malicious way then they should give you the addresses

NaFe

at last.... i spent a few hours on sat and sunday trying to find the best way to remove the O/S sill in one go. however after much effort and time i realised this was not possible. because the person who put this replacement in did not spot weld the sill in the same way the original one way i found it very difficult to get the cutting disk to the welds. having said that i have managed to remove the sill (outer,inner and strengthener)...

inner wheels arch... i'm not too sure how much will need to be removed because the bulkhead has been seriously patched and not to a high standard. for the moment though i just just out the section of the sill that petrudes through (for strength)
img0310ws2.jpg

img0311fl8.jpg

after alot of effort and time i eventually removed the replacement sill. i left bits of the original sill welded on the outriggers and tophats to be ground down when i get the sill
img0312oq1.jpg

what aided me in removing the old sill was cutting out the edge of the floor. this was pretty much rotten through near the edge so i dare say i'll have to remove a bit more (e.g. floor under seat mount is shot). doing this simply made removal of the sills bit easier
img0313pd1.jpg

started putting together a big list of parts and hoping to make a mamouth order in the next week of so.....

well after a bit of an order to schofield, my parcel arrived today.....

originally the parcel was going to be 4 boxes but when i foned wednesday to clarify day of delivery they told me it was going to be on a pallet, but really didnt this..........................................................................................

14022008019qp8.jpg

List:

2 rear wheel arches complete
2 rear wheel arches outer
2 inner B post repair section
2 B post repair section
2 tophat sections
2 track cover support channel
2 rear side window repair
2 inner rear repair panel
2 inner sills
2 outer sills
1 middle strengthener sill
3 outriggers
2 jacking points
1 side door repair skin inner
1 side door repair skin outer
2 Battery trays
gutter roof section.

i know what you are thinking.....but they couldnt fit a shell on a pallet :)

let the welding begin

that quarter panel patch up is nuts!

i think you deserve the EB medal of Bravery for replacement of that much metal :shock: i just hope its not awarded postumously! :wink:

it will also have a rusty core, several layers of metal welded ontop of that and, of course, a liberal spreading of filler.

Johnnyâ„¢ said:

i think you deserve the EB medal of Bravery for replacement of that much metal :shock: i just hope its not awarded postumously! :wink:

Of course you do realise that someone off of earlybay was responsible for the "repairs" that have been performed.....

well i had a very disappointing evening down the barn last night. i was due to have my first welding lesson of my dad with my brand new butters 150Amp welder. the cheeky thing it first turned up without a bloody plug on it. then when we set it up the wire wouldnt come out quick enough, even on maximum. so its going back today and hoping to get a replacement. :( i was looking forward to my lesson all day lol. i was like a dog with two tails and when i found out i was gutted booooooooooooooooooooo

Loxy said:
Johnnyâ„¢ said:

Of course you do realise that someone off of earlybay was responsible for the "repairs" that have been performed.....

i read about that earlier... as i said, i cant believe the patch up job done! :shock: :lol:

what kind of welder are you going to buy?

Latest posts