1972 Crossover- intro and question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganrue

Reaction score
Hello all. I just about dare to join earlybay, as a crossover is "on the cusp".

My view is if I suffer the grief of having no engine access hatch, then it's "early"!

Originally a microbus, it was imported to the UK some years ago, whereupon the drug-dog at customs tore the middle seat to shreds. (no guesses why)
I bought it because I wanted a low-light 'cos they're cuter, I could live with the bigger tail lights, and I fancied a servo...

Since then I have added a lite-steer (remarkable!) and fitted a full-width R'n'R and headliner. A recon steering box, exchange one-year only calipers (ouch!) and a new exhaust. Turned out to be the Cali only catalyst type, which was harder to track down. New clutch, secondhand 1700, new alternator, fuel pump, electronic ignition. Now you know why I'm broke.

I have a number of headaches with the electrical system. Over the years, it seems like dozens of dabblers have "improved" the wiring. It's a mess, and I am working thru' it bit by bit.

Living in Luxembourg, I don't have much access to like-minded individuals, much less English-speaking ones, so I would like to have your views on a couple of specifics:

1) fuel gauge- do ALL instrument panels have a "stabiliser" fitted.? Mine does not, and there's no obvious trace of it. If I need one, where should I look to buy?

2) the horn- I suspect the indicator switch is from some other beast, as it has the horn push on the end of the indicator stalk- am I right?

I would like to get the horn working on the original wheel-centre push. Does a wire have to run up the column shaft? Mine seems hollow only for about 6", then solid. If not, how does the horn and horn-push wiring work? I am worried in case the whole shaft needs to sit isolated from the outer column- in which case the Lite-steer may have b@ggered that up...views?

Please gimme a shout or two as I am working on this alone every night till it works or I expire...

regards

Morgan in Luxembourg.

Hello and welcome to the site. Sounds like you have an interesting bus.
To answer your questions,

1) only the later bays had the voltage stabiliser.

2) you are right. Originally the steering column was isolated from the outer tube. The column acts as the earth and the outer column carried the live feed from the horn.

With electric power steering I doubt the column is still isolated from the outer tube though you could check with an ohm meter just in case. Having a non stock indicator switch with a horn button on the end would be a good solution - otherwise you will have to have a dash mounted button.

Latest posts