1972 Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone got any idea with this roofrack? I am led to believe it may be an og volkswagen item, the reason for this is I saw one on thesamba on a type 3 and the seller was advertising it as an extra cost option from new.
To be honest its more asthetical than functional and is screwed in through the roof so its a stayer!! any info would be great thanks
DSC00036.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

That rack looks a bit like the type that was fitted to Fords and Holdens here in Australia in the 80s. I've got one in bits in the shed, but probably won't ever put it back together. It may be VW but I'm guessing the PO got it off some American Station wagon.
Your interior work is spot on, particularly for a novice, I am curious about the floor in the rear, what did you use there?
David

It may be VW but I'm guessing the PO got it off some American Station wagon. Your interior work is spot on said:
Thanks for that mate, the floor is just wax treated 3mm ply laid over the cargo area, then I laid Laminate Wood over the top, very simple and quick.
I had all the pics from this build stored on my old computer which handily stopped working 6 months ago so I am left with pics from halfway through this project, a shame really as it would have been nice to hand on when I get rid of the bus, don't you just love technology!!

Its been a while what with various things happening at work and at home, but I have been busy in the little spare time I seem to have during daylight hours these days!!
After waiting for some dry days I sprayed the front bumper and steps this took a while as my gun blew up ( messy ) and the new one took weeks to arrive!!

The seats are both re-stuffed and trimmed and now are back where they should be, with my new carpet set.
DSC00031.jpg

Now compared to before I think it looks pretty damn good!
DSC00287.jpg

The stereo is installed and very nice to have on while i'm slaving in the cold weather! And the MOT is booked for the 28th of Febuary so i'm doing all the niggly things needed for a pass!
DSC00034.jpg

with freshly painted bumper, minus the steps as I broke the small joining gaskets durrr, and the grill is on my painting to do list as at the mo, it only has the black filter on.

Looking real nice in there !! Like the brown carpet alot, it crossed my mind to get brown for mine but i ended up going with black. Not convinced i made the right decision now :lol:

Thanks for the support guys, appreciated ! ! :D

I almost went for green carpet, i'm glad I didn't as I think it would have been too much. The brown is good it just breaks the colour up in there.
Also pleased that the seats match the body colour! you never know when ordering over the net
DSC00032.jpg

Cool van mate ill pop over and have a sneeky peeky at ot at volksworld show if thats ok . good work mate 8) 8)

Recieved a package from a mate last thursday who had been to America for work, in it were my shiny new walkthrough panels fresh from Wolfsburg West
All in they cost me £25 which included shipping from CA to Boston.
DSC00005-1.jpg

They were really easy to fit and improve it no end,
DSC00008-1.jpg

got a couple of interior bits finished too, and re bled the brakes, but mainly was doing pre MOT items as the dreaded day is looming large!!
DSC00004-1.jpg

Just got to get it lowered and it should be ready to roll, does anyone know of any good vw places in Surrey who do lowering?????
Any leads would be very much appreciated

That looks sweet - it really tidies up what would otherwise be a 'workmanlike' part of a bus - I like it!!!
As for lowering in your area - I'm sure Justyn (used to advertise on JK) is based around North Hampshire/Surrey borders - very highly recommended apparently; he does front and back in one day for a fixed price (£350?) - I'm sure a forum search would bring up his mobile number...
Keep up the good work - looking great!!!
;)

Thanks for that i'll have a search for him, I think it certainly looks better than the old manky glue marks and shredded rubber that was there before!!

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

First off, I'm a Yank so stop stealing all our vans (your welcome to buy our rusty ones). It's not our fault you're surrounded by salt water and use salt on your roads. :lol:

Secondly, can you let me know where you order your seat covers, rocknroll bed frame, etc.

I also own a 69 Deluxe and would love to do what you did! :D

First off, I'm a Yank so stop stealing all our vans (your welcome to buy our rusty ones). It's not our fault you're surrounded by salt water and use salt on your roads. :lol:

Secondly, can you let me know where you order your seat covers, rocknroll bed frame, etc.

I also own a 69 Deluxe and would love to do what you did! :D

They look great!! nice work and keep it up. :D

Good luck on the MOT :wink: