1972 Rear Corners

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56chevconv

Reaction score
Hello. We have a 72 Westfalia, with the tall taillights, that will need the rear corners replaced. The rust is confined to JUST below the bottom of the taillight opening. I was hoping to be able to buy the 68-71 lower replacement panel that a few places offer, but I’m finding conflicting info on the years this works for. Some say up to 72, some say up to 71. I’ve also read that 72 rear corners were one-off, due to a unique bumper that year (not sure if this is true). Below is the piece I’m hoping will work. Thank you for any clarifications!

https://www.klassicfab.com/product/kfbw1293-rear-corner-8in-high-right-bus-6871

(My apologies if this posted twice, I didn't see it listed in 'my posts'.)

Hiya bud, the straight answer is I don’t know, but this is possibly the first time I’ve heard of this. With the piece in question there are probably lots of different after market panels available with probably a few different heights too, this may account for the 68/71 and 72/72 panel differences in just the tail lights, but if it’s the shorter panel then it wouldn’t reach the tail lights whereas if you needed it taller, then it would be more specific. As for the speciality unique bumper and corner, these mods were coming out of the factory at an amazing pace almost monthly in some cases so it is entirely feasible. Most mods were for the same product with greater strength or just same product with less cost dependent on if the predecessor had a high failure rate. Might be worth a post over on the LateBay because that’ll tie in with a later type of vehicle perhaps.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, sorry to be so vague, oh and welcome :mrgreen:

72 definitely has a one year only rear bumper and hangers, can't help on the corners, but when I did mine I got the whole corners from Schofields, I'm sure they were just 72-onward. My one year only bumper and hangers fitted fine, we tried an earlier year hanger and it just didn't fit as I remember.
Only issue I found was my tailgate had straight window outer corners and the panel had rounded aperture, so I shaped the edge to match it.
You could always source a cut given the small lower area you want maybe.?
Schofields were very helpful at the time so perhaps speak with someone direct, 72 only stuff affected a lot of replacement on my bus.
Cheers
Rich

Thank you for the replies! From what I'm gathering, the corners themselves weren't necessarily unique for '72, but rather the bumpers and hangers. I found a post on another site addressing this issue and they went with a '73 style corner on a '72 with tall taillights, without issue. Just need to find a tall enough patch panel for a '73 (and up) to hit the taillight. Hopefully I won't have to go with an entire corner and cut 2/3 of it off.

I had not heard of Schofields, but will add them to my growing list of available suppliers. Thanks again!

Just seen one being fitted and it looked great. The panel came from Just Kampers, I think they trimmed a few inches off and just left the very bottom perhaps a half an inch of the rear light aperture, worked in well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, year only ?? It was a continuous line of mods :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:

I've come to the conclusion I'll have to buy the tall corner piece since no on sells just the lower corner. Now to figure out who sells the best fitting piece. I know that's a loaded question, so I'm not asking it. :) Thanks for the heads-up on all the suppliers!

Bit late but 72 rear corners are one year only as they seem to be similar to 73 onwards (same taillights) but 72 has that small bump where the splashpan bolt connects to. Don't know of any supplier of a 72 corner however.

Latest posts