1972 T2 Bay project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0retto

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is our recently adopted camper "Tiger Lilly". :)

We believe she is a Devon if anyone could clarify this?

We are currently focused on acquiring a rock n roll bed and revamping the roof (full set of seals, lining, and bunks)

I'm hoping to get the basics done prior to busfest. :shock:

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :!: :idea:

Hi,

Your T2 does look like a Devon, the interior has obviously been stripped out of it, ours still has the original interior, so if you need any help, given us a shout.

Cheers,.

Bod said:
Hi,

Your T2 does look like a Devon, the interior has obviously been stripped out of it, ours still has the original interior, so if you need any help, given us a shout.

Cheers,.

Thanks for the reply Bod! Could you post a pic of your interior please? :) I'm forever trawling the Internet for ideas.

At the moment, I'm torn between a revamp of the interior I have with a 3/4 RnR bed or putting cabinets behind drivers and passengers seats and having a table with a full length RnR bed.

She also needs new seals in the roof. Going to try repair it myself but I'm very new to this! Lots of pics and questions to follow :)

Certainly a Devon roof.

I have just refurbed mine but not uploaded any pics yet (must get around to it) have a good search as a few people have put some good threads on the roof refurb. my advice would be to spend some time looking at pics of how it all works and then work out how far you want to go with yours i.e just seals or roof off.

Shame your interior has gone. same as mine when i bought it. i'm going to go for full width bed and then try to make the rest original. I have just installed the original swing out cooker. They are brilliant!

Woz

Oh yes, those cookers are brilliant, haven't tried to track one down yet, did you just fit camping style gas cooker to swing table or is it a specifically designed one???

Well as for the roof, as far as i can tell, the canvas (Constantine style) is in good nick, it's just the metal supporting arms that prop the roof up, that are in a bad way, I will post some pics, along with the seals and the exterior of the roof looks grubby, I was thinking of sanding back and re spraying that though. Can I purchase the interior metal arms online quite easily??

Cheers dude! Really appreciate any advice

Well, I got Tigerlilly back from the garage today. I booked her in for a full service, new swing arm, hubs and she was cutting out when idle, so they were also tuning the engine and setting up the carbs. The father of the garage owner did the work as he was an original vw mechanic back in the day. He said she was in amazing condition and he thoroughly enjoyed working on her so much that he halved the bill!! Well chuffed.

So, after stripping out the inside and cleaning(Everything!) I managed to pop the roof open and here's the damage.... :shock:

I'm hoping to replace the mounting brackets and acquire a full set of seals, referb the top and replace the bellows. Anyone in South Wales that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?

Another week, another list of updates!

Tigerlilly has been back to the garage and had her twin carbs tweaked, she is now running better than ever! Even though the previous owner fitted the loudest motorbike exhaust ever!! :S

She's had a full Toad security system fitted, if anyone so much as looks at her weirdly she will scream back! >.<

I've also spent all day stripping the interior, brushing, painting and waxoyling the floor and engine bay, fitting insulation, damp proofing and hand cutting/fitting the flooring.

Tigerlilly will be back in action very shortly!!

Roof parts, rocknroll bed and fancy floor tiles have been ordered! Watch this space!

Here's today's improvements:

Ok so the Rock and roll bed has arrived and its assembled, the floor tiles are here and waiting to be fitted, the interior panels only need one more coat, the cabinets still need sanding down and a bit of renovation work and the roof parts have all arrived!!

So today I've spent around 6 hours fighting with the pop top roof in the rain trying to drill out most of the shoddy screws and brackets holding the damn thing down! I've broken 3 drill bits in the process however... Tomorrow I feel will be a good day as I'm more than half way there to a completely renovated roof!! A quick trip to BnQ for heavy duty metal destroying drill bits and then on to the fun stuff!!! :)

Anyone else out there wrestled a Devon roof and won?!?!?!

To be continued...

Today's progress...

Had to drill out all the screws holding the canvas down, the roof brackets and the hinges. It has taken forever!!

Here are the pics....

I've purchased a rock and roll bed from Volkswares, what's the best way of securing it to the floor? I've got the self tapping screws for the engine bay but not the floor? Is it just a case of using heavy duty screws straight down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m0retto said:
I've purchased a rock and roll bed from Volkswares, what's the best way of securing it to the floor? I've got the self tapping screws for the engine bay but not the floor? Is it just a case of using heavy duty screws straight down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've decided to bolt it down using m8 60mm bolts.

Feels like I've spent weeks working on the roof but it is finally back on the bus! Finished sealing it all at around 9am this morning and finally got it screwed down by 6pm! She's looking great!!

Now onto the inside...

Managed to fit a few rear panels and put the tiles in. The lining near the windows and doors needs replacing but for now I'm really pleased how TigerLilly is coming along.

Indeed I am! It absolutely chucked it down today too and the inside is as dry as a bone! Real sense of satisfaction :)

Im prepping the cabinets at the mo so no real updates.

Although I did have a scare with the pulleys last night, all of a sudden a horrific grinding noise was coming from the engine bay. I opened it up expecting the worse, black metal dust everywhere and sparks flying from the Dynamo!!

After much research and head scratching I managed to get the pulleys off and found that the previous owner had put a shim on the back which had sheared, the Dynamo wasn't even tighter to the fan properly either so a combination of the two caused the whole unit to move a little and push the pulleys against the casing!

I fixed, checked and lubricated everything and she's now running smoother and quieter than ever! :) I'll be a qualified mechanic by the time this bus is finished lol! :) :lol:

Top tip for the future: Always check everything is tightened properly, especially when buying a new bus!

Here's the 2L twin Webber straight through in action :)

Tigerlilly doesn't seem to like the new immobiliser or alarm we have fitted, so I've spent most of this week chasing the auto electrician down. In the meantime the breaks seized!

Took me forever borrowing the appropriate tools, jacks and axle stands required for what I thought was going to be a messy job. Turns out the pads have loads of life left the bearings are fine and the drums are in good nick! I didn't need half the tools I'd acquired and it only took me a couple of hours. Winner!

I started fitting the interior panels only to discover I haven't got a full matching set. (Mrs isn't happy)

Cabinets have been repaired, sanded, treated, painted, waxed and fitted!

Rock n roll bed is in and just needs a couple more nuts n bolts tightening.

I've upgraded the battery, which took way more time and effort than necessary, especially as the previous battery was under warranty and the "garage" refused to replace it even though it wasn't holding its charge. Damn Cowboys! So I bit the bullet and paid a little extra.

Still a shed load of things to do but hey ho, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Latest posts