• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

6 rib gearbox for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadders

Reaction score
I've got a 6 rib gearbox for sale - code CP01 069. was told it came from a running bus and worked fine, though I've only seen it out of a bus. I ended up fitting a freeway flyer, so this is now surplus to requirements.

I'd like £550 for it, which should allow for some rework if necessary and is a bargain if not! I've seen similar untested boxes go for north of a grand.

I'm in Derby, work in Nottingham and could possibly get it to Coventry if it helps.

Open to sensible offers if I'm asking too much

Cheers, Mark

Any chance you can confirm or show me a link to show what needs changing to fit this in my 72 type 1 bus?

Would delivery to Hinckley be possible if we reach a deal?

Gareth

I wish I could, but apart from the basics, I'm afraid I end up asking someone else to do the work.

I think there are people on here who have done the mod and are running with 6 ribs, I'm sure they'd give their advice.

I'm sure I can find a way to get it to, or at least near Hickley

gazmidas said:
Any chance you can confirm or show me a link to show what needs changing to fit this in my 72 type 1 bus?

Would delivery to Hinckley be possible if we reach a deal?

Gareth
I looked into this, but ended up going for a type 4 motor and 6-rib.

First check the protrusion of the gearbox input shaft (the amount that sticks out past the face of the bellhousing). If you're lucky it will be the same, then the 6-rib will go straight in.

Some useful information here... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7705793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not you have 2 options:
1) fit a new input shaft (not sure if these can be swapped from your existing 'box?)
2) chop 10mm off the input shaft (!)

Next the linkage needs tweaking by re-drilling the hole in the front shift rod 10mm further forward to account for the fact that the 6-rib is slightly longer..

Best of luck,

Nobbly

Nobbly, thanks for posting that up

Seems it's not as appealing as I thought, so off to the joys of eBay

I've got a 69 early bay with a 1600 tp. Will this box fit mine regards Andy

Yes, there are plenty running like this, that's what I was planning to do.

I think you might need a different bell housing and maybe a couple of minor mods

Now then, despite plenty of interest, both here and on Facebook, nobody has taken this away yet.

It's sat in my garage doing nothing, and i have no need for it.

I'll drop the price to 450, I do really want it gone.

If location is a problem, we'll be in Devon for a few weeks in August, so might be able to help with delivery.

Cheers, Mark

Would this have the correct ratios for a 2l type 4 motor? If so would you consider sending via courier to newcastle

Cheers john

Latest posts