'67 fuel tank sender

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
Long time no posts.... Long story!

Have been sorting fuel issues with the help of the brilliant Chris aka slammedkustom. A new fuel tank seemed to be a good idea so we got one at Coolair. Chris went again this week and they had been told by another customer of an issue but had no solution.

We'd also bought a late bay sender as mine is unreliable. But we hear that the resistance in the late bay replacement and mine may be different.

Any ideas? Stick with the old one or is there a solution?

The resistances are different.
You don't say whether you bought an early or late tank.

Not sure which tank, will check tomorrow. But the alternative was to reuse my old sender or the new late bay one. If the resistance is different can anything be done to make it ok for an
Earlybay?

With respect, I'm puzzled as to why you then bought a late bay sender, as the correct early bay senders to match your tank are readily available.

ill help to clarify mikes question. basically cool air do 2 types of early bay tank. a standard one that fits as usual and takes the standard fuel sender for about £190 Iirc, they also do another style of tank that is the same shape as an early bay tank but takes the later style fuel sender. this is a kit that includes the tank, a brand new late sender that fits said tank and the bottom outlet and is a tenner cheaper than the other tank that is just a bare tank.
we went for the tank "kit" as mike said his fuel gauge was a bit dodgy as many are. last time I bought an early bay sender on its own I think it was over £100. it made sense to get a tank, new sender etc for £180 rather than buying a stock tank for £190 then possibly having to buy an new sender at an additional £100 or whatever.
hope that makes sense now.

the problem we have now come across is that cool air do not know if this sender is a stock late bay one that fits this early tank or if it is a brand new item that has been made in the style of a late sender but has been reconfigured to work with the resistance of an earlybay fuel gauge. cool air don't have any idea which doesn't help. with what I can figure due to the difference in resistance's means mikes gauge will read if its is just a late sender but it will be an incorrect reading. if the sender is an early resistance in a late sender we should be ok.
hopefully that makes sense and after all this the problem isn't the gauge itself

so anyone fitted one or are we the guinea pigs again!

just looked and early fuel senders have dropped in price to around £60, mind you the one I bought was genuine vdo not repro.
cool air don't seem to list this tank on their site yet so I cant put up a link...bumhats

sorry to possibly complicate matters more but i think that the late gauges had a separate voltage regulator.

i dont know if this is required because of the late sender, late gauge or both. if the former i imagine that it could have an impact on what youre doing

Latest posts