68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had another go. When I made the first one, I cut through into another piece of scrap ply to save the workmate, so the second one I used as a template which made it much quicker. I planed this one down first to avoid it shooting across the workshop in tiny fragments like the last one and managed to get nearer the middle - the centre circle in the first one didn't want to bend.
DSCF4073.jpg

It would look like this - ish. Not happy now I see it - Wish I'd done a rising sun....
DSCF4074.jpg

Put some stain on the pieces that make this and balanced it back together for a look. Supposed to be light oak. I'd buy oak faced ply next time and save the grief.
DSCF4075.jpg

great work, and some really neat ideas, havnt a clue where to start with mine on the interior
but will have to do something this year on it
cheers Peter

dodge6x6 said:
great work, and some really neat ideas, havnt a clue where to start with mine on the interior
but will have to do something this year on it
cheers Peter
Thanks mate. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't have to deal with your engine, interesting though it is. :)

Think yours came with a good set of deluxe door cards and a good headliner didn't it? That's a great start. :) Mine had nothing at all, which is also great, but in a different way. I just had a brainstorm one day and for the life of me couldn't remember ever seeing a 3/4 bed in the middle (there are no doubt loads, but I've never seen one) and the rest designed itself, one bit causing another. :)

Speaker grill made. I'm really not sure about this, it couldn't be described as discreet and someone will put their foot through it by the end of the year, but it'll have to do for now. :)
DSCF4081.jpg

I'm going to have to start thinking about door catches and handles soon. I should have had them first and designed around them, but I haven't so I didn't. It's going to cause all sorts of problems machining the drawers and doors to take them.
DSCF4085.jpg

I may scrap the speaker grill and do this instead, with the same on the opposite gas cupboard door, but just carved in 1mm with the relief painted black out to resemble the speaker grill... More taditional - 30's arts and crafts?
speakerfan.jpg

ZedBed said:
I'm going to have to start thinking about door catches and handles soon. I should have had them first and designed around them, but I haven't so I didn't. It's going to cause all sorts of problems machining the drawers and doors to take them.

How about push and release latches?
Less hassle to fit and keeps the door lines clean.

I absolutely love this bus n the bench idea is just genius.
Given me a couple of ideas for when I build my interior

I just have 2 questions
1 - did u make the metal bit for the walk thru?
And
2 - what brackets are you using for the benches fold down rear?

Top work dude.love it.:)

Matt

ZedBed said:
I may scrap the speaker grill and do this instead, with the same on the opposite gas cupboard door, but just carved in 1mm with the relief painted black out to resemble the speaker grill... More taditional - 30's arts and crafts?
speakerfan.jpg

I like that one better then the one you currently have made! :D

dubbedup67 said:
I absolutely love this bus n the bench idea is just genius.
Given me a couple of ideas for when I build my interior

I just have 2 questions
1 - did u make the metal bit for the walk thru?
And
2 - what brackets are you using for the benches fold down rear?

Top work dude.love it.:)

Matt

Thanks for the nice comments Matt. :)
1) yes I did.
2) I designed and made the brackets myself. I started off with some strips of wood nailed together to get the rough action worked out, then made steel ones. But they weren't quite right so I binned them and started again, designed them using AutoCad, then made them to the drawing secure in the knowledge that they'd work this time! There are drawings further back up the thread, but the dimensions are my little secret. ;)

Steve I don't like the grill. Looks like something from a plant room not a campervan. Sorry. Just being honest. :msn4:

Merlydog said:
Steve I don't like the grill. Looks like something from a plant room not a campervan. Sorry. Just being honest. :msn4:
Me neither - it's horrible! but it was quite fun to make. :)

You might have seen I had a thread asking advice on dulling down my shiney cooker.
DSCF4061.jpg

I ended up using scotch pads - these are wickedly abrasive and go round corners. You can't tell from the blurry picture, but I did it all in one direction which was a PITA but worth it I think. It was past it with scratches and blemishes, a lot of which came out. It's not great, but it's much cleaner looking. :)
DSCF4152.jpg

dubscum said:
saw this and thought of you :D
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers for the link. :) There's a really nice one on there, but it's wierd to see people using such masses of wood and the best one is just a bed and storage for the bed - looks the bee's though.

Latest posts