68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody hell Steve do you ever sleep? :lol: you must lay awake all night 'dreaming' up killer ideas 8)

Just

67panel said:
got my stereo in a movable housing inbetween my front seats cos didnt want to cut the dash,non working period radio indash 8) prob is its still prototype mdf :msn4: good job hope to see this for real one day
I'm still trying to figure out how to have a stereo you can't see that's accessable from the front and the rear. hmmm :lol: [edit - in the ceiling?]

creationblue said:
Bloody hell Steve do you ever sleep? :lol: you must lay awake all night 'dreaming' up killer ideas 8)

Just
He-he - I'm a design engineer by trade - I like problem solving. :) I did the bottom fixings months ago, but bit the bullet this afternoon and made the top plate. Friday's - my day's if possible. :)

ZedBed said:
67panel said:
got my stereo in a movable housing inbetween my front seats cos didnt want to cut the dash,non working period radio indash 8) prob is its still prototype mdf :msn4: good job hope to see this for real one day
I'm still trying to figure out how to have a stereo you can't see that's accessable from the front and the rear. hmmm :lol: [edit - in the ceiling?]

I seem to recall a bus with the headunit fitted into the rear of the cab headlining where the poptop opening is.
But may be difficult in a tintop....

I thought I'd better catch the real thing up with the computer model so I built the left side and cut down the central steel drawer front frame today. Not so bad as used the right side parts as templates for the router. Also reshaped the seat, trimmed the sides so the seat fits more cleanly and lost 28mm o'all width doing it, so had to cut down the back/flap as well. Worth the hassle I think - much happier with the symmetry regained. :)
DSCF4051.jpg

I've settled for putting a small sub in this side. I should be able to put it a pre-built speaker unit inside my unit which will save calculating resonance and all that stuff. I could do it, but it's just one job too far. TBH I'm glad to have sorted the rear speaker situation. I'm not going for a mega system but I'd like it to sound good.

Ahhh stereo's - I have a (home) stereo I bought in the late 70's. The amp is 28 watts per channel, the speakers are 40watt/4 ohm Goodmans and were second hand so could now be 40-50 years old. At volume number 3 my son comes down to complain his whole room is shaking. What's with the current speaker/amp ratings on equipment. 1,000 watts? Don't make me laugh. :lol:

Mind you they are fantastic speakers. £140 the pair, second hand in 1979 - more than a month's wages as an apprentice at the time. I went to the shop to buy new speakers with £150. I listened to everything in my price range and was umming and arring when the bloke said "we've got these second hand ones". They looked wierd and I wasn't sure but when I heard them I threw the cash at him. :lol: Ahhh reminiscing.... Still got them via being party speakers in a squat and god knows what else. I had to rewind one of the tweeter coils after one party. The passive bass radiator cone tore off it's mount and got glued back together. They still sound fantastic and I'd love to build them into the bus, but each speaker cab has 2 tweeters, two mids, 4x 4" bass and an unpowered 10" radiator - too much to fit in!

I've only ever seen one other set of these speakers. When I lived in Bristol, a lorry driver lived in the basement flat. One day, there was a knock on the door and he asked to see my speakers! "thought so" he said "same as mine :)" We dragged mine down to his flat, plugged them in along with his and were in heaven for the afternoon. They make it sound like there is a band in the room, not your typical stereo sound.

More tomorrow maybe. :)

sparkywig said:
ZedBed said:
...and the wiring not much fun.

Not now you've fitted the rooflining...... :lol:
That's the trouble with not having a plan. :lol: More reminiscing...

When I was a design engineer, I mostly sat in the warm, drove about in the warm and occassionally stood in the cold for an hour. Sitting in the warm I could cause 12 blokes 3 week's work in an afternoon, all down to detailed drawings, parts lists etc, then carry on designing something else that would annoy them when they tried to fit it. :lol: Now I've got to make it myself it's sort of confused the process. All these details would have been taken care of before anyone started work, now it's a bit hit and miss. Or maybe I just had a warped view in the first place...

Great story Zed.........

I too am liking old HiFi (amp from early 80's and turntable - yes turntable from the 70's) and sounds brill even now :msn4:

Like the new seat unit (the same but different) and looking forward to seeing where this goes next :mrgreen:

I've had a change of heart about the scruffy old Dormobile cooker and as I also have a spare scruffy old Devon cooker that comes with a stainless steel shroud it'll get me nearer the finish line without shopping and making flip up things.

Take one Devon cooker shroud thing. Lets be honest, these are rubbish as they only let you get a small pan on the cooker, and the hopeless way they pack down, they must have been designed by a simpleton.
DSCF4054.jpg

Once you disconnect the gas pipe the cooker lifts out. The gas pipe is all that holds it down.
DSCF4053.jpg

I worked out I have just enough room for a useable grill without any flipping up and down, so I chopped the shroud up and made this out of it.
DSCF4060.jpg

The lid I chopped at the first hinge to make it as long as possible, but it's still a bit short to look tidy when it's flapped down. I blame Devon. I spot welded some joggled cooker support strips down each side and spot welded the hinge onto the back of the cooker.
Lid up.
DSCF4061.jpg

Just enough room when the seat back is closed.
DSCF4065.jpg

Then this evening I started on the gas bottle cupboard door. Fame made ready for more steaming. :)
DSCF4066.jpg

Change of cooker looks better to me (not to sure about the shroud, but time will tell).

The corner of the unit is looking good 8)

gninnam said:
Change of cooker looks better to me (not to sure about the shroud, but time will tell).

The corner of the unit is looking good 8)
It's either the shroud, line the hole with S/S or make the cooker on slides so it comes further out. Or give up the grill and don't have toast. I've never had a camper with a grill before but I want toast!

The downside for the cooker is the huge diameter burners. My coffee perculator won't fit - the flames will lick up the sides. :(

Airtime said:
Wow, I really love this thread! Awesome work Mr! 8)
Thanks mate. :) Got to say I'm getting pretty desperate to have it completed and try it out in the real world!

Coming along nicely Steve.

I want to see what inspiration you have for a centre table, then I'll copy it unless you copyright it ;)

You are putting me to shame, the last thing I want to do at the moment is go out and work on my bus, especially in this weather.

Des

ZedBed said:
I've never had a camper with a grill before but I want toast! (

The grills are usually crap anyway, we have a griddle pan that we do toast in and it goes on the rings so no need for a grill, plus the griddle pan is good for burgers/steaks etc 8)

Graham L said:
ZedBed said:
I've never had a camper with a grill before but I want toast! (

The grills are usually crap anyway, we have a griddle pan that we do toast in and it goes on the rings so no need for a grill, plus the griddle pan is good for burgers/steaks etc 8)
When I'm lounging in my smoking jacket, having a glass of port and a cigar on my luxurious leather upholstery, I may feel the need for crumpets. Can't griddle those can you? (you bloody heathen :lol: )

More slight headway....
Curly door skinned.
DSCF4070.jpg

Blind box ends plough grooved and tongued (ooer missus).
DSCF4068.jpg

DSCF4069.jpg

Another small step on the journey. :)
DSCF4067.jpg

Symmetry oh symmetry...

I always ponder the next few things as I go and since I decided the left end would be a good place to stuff a pre-made sub box, I've been thinking how I can make a curved front that lets the sound out and looks in keeping with the opposite door. It's got to be reasonably heel proof as well so I rejected steel/brass mesh which would have been easy to make. Then I went through a load of other ideas but wasn't happy enough to make any of them. I Know when the ideas right (for me) because I can't wait to make it.

Here's the first atempt. I wanted to see if the whole ply would bend if I cut enough of it out, but it was still as stiff as before! I was forced to (electric) plane it but went at it carelessly because I'd already cut a couple of slots too long and deep down I didn't want to fit one that had gone a bit wrong. I don't think anyone else would have noticed once it was fitted, but I'd know. The finished panel won't be this big, it'll be cut down to the pencil lines after it's fitted so the slots go to 30mm from each edge to max the sound hole.
DSCF4071.jpg

I'd thought carefully about a slot pattern that would bend without any stray bits sticking out and at least I could see I'd got that right on the surving corner.
DSCF4072.jpg

Latest posts