68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparkywig said:
Better take your own mug instead.... :msn4:

I'm not, I took my own mug last time and he kept it! :shock: I'll take me own tea bags though. :lol:

Oi you two - I'm not completely deaf. :)

Busy busy, but bits of furniture are at home getting oiled and glued and having blinds fitted. I've also fitted blind opposite sliding door and on tailgate. Not actual blinds - just the mechanics for now - I can't be trusted with clean material.

Puzzling over a table now.

You may remember I had to repair this...
DSCF3772.jpg

That was months ago and as far as I got. I also did a strip right across the panel opposite.

I knew I had to go to the paint shop this morning so I took my filler flap. The outside's been painted with a pearlescent paint, a bit darker than the original, but I've no idea what it is. I love it when things like this happen - there was a professional car valeter in there - he snatched it from my hands, cleaned it (thought I had :-[ ) and disappeared into the car park. He came back in and said it's an eighties vw colour, got the sample book out and found it. Blimey - it was bang on! So I got a can mixed up and tried it out. I tried it on a piece of scrap panel with black paint and it was near enough with a couple of coats, but over the grey primer took a lot more to deepen enough.
DSCF4223.jpg

When I clean up the rest it looks like it'll be perfect - I did a bit in the foreground. Only painted the bottom of the sliding door and the sill.

Had a better look and the paint's a bit too dark - never mind. :)

I fillered and painted the repair on the other side as well a bit here and a bit there. Then today I degreased the whole outside and cleaned the windows with brake and clutch cleaner - like you do. ;)

I wasn't feeling the love for the dusty old thing and I haven't cleaned it since I bought it last August when it was already filthy. I like the colour. :) You can't see on the pics, but it's pearlescent - going to look great in the sunshine if it ever sees it.

DSCF4236.jpg

DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4241.jpg

I've been doing a bit but not posting. :p

I made a blind container for the rear hatch from an outer sill and a side over. I didn't realise side covers were tapered. You can hardly tell. :-[ And I made a cut down panel to fit below...
DSCF4206.jpg

Washed my rare brown seatbelts...
DSCF4215.jpg

Made blind hiding gubbins and a cut-down panel for opposite the sliding door. Work in progress with a random ply panel...
DSCF4246.jpg

Oiled and balanced with a trim panel. I had to cut down the panel width and height and make a new hardboard back as it was really warped, but the vinyl and woolly backing were good. The panel will be curved to the side of the van when it's fixed with the original clips...
DSCF4257.jpg

I've also re-vamped the sliding door trim card with new hardboard - wierd to see such flat trim panels. :)

And I've stained and oiled all the furniture, glued it together, painted the metal parts...
DSCF4261.jpg

...ordered lights, run the wires for same, removed and oiled the roof panels, ordered the stainless steel work surface for the kitchen unit, drilled the van to fix the unit, ordered the blind material, bought and fitted all the roller blind mechanisms and rubbed down one side of the rear inside to freshen up with some rattle can paint. I know I should 2-pac it, but it's such a hassle masking everything up, where I can get away with some newspaper using celly. ;) It'll be red anyway. :)

In the cab a friend has bought me some seat covers and giving me arch mats, I've primed all the steelwork I made to support the double seat, made kick panels, going to order some cheapy JK vinyl door cards and cleaned a rubber cab and walk=through mats someone else gave me. :)
DSCF4216.jpg

sparkywig said:
Not much work this week then Steve? ;)
That's 2 months of evenings and weekends and nights in the living room oiling and gluing furniture Sparky - it's the only way I'll get it done. :) MOT fail list on Friday and alternator/heating troubles on Monday while simultaneously painting some major repairs I've just finished and whipping the painter subby to get a whole one done in my sprayshop - busy time of the year unfortunately - just when I need to do my own stuff. :lol:

spikehouseofdub said:
hi Zed ,
the 68 is looking good , glad to see it went to a loving home . i look forward to see it out and about one day . are you going to any shows this year .
Spike
Hi Spike - I'm still really pleased with it thanks - bags of character and pretty solid.:) When its done in about 4 months I'll find an excuse to drop into your place for a brew. :) Upholstery and engine still need attention...

Time for an update.:)

The paint round the windows in the back was pretty well non-existant and covered in glue from the original vinyl headlining. So while the furniture and new headlining are in my living room I masked up the windows and puffed a couple of rattle cans at all the bits that will be seen to freshen it up.

DSCF4285.jpg

And today I put the wood headling back in and fitted some landing lights.
DSCF4292.jpg

And the full effect with workshops lights off.
DSCF4296.jpg

Reds and whites are on seperate circuits so when the dimmers are fitted I'll be able to have anything from red through a nice warm glow to white and as bright or dim as I like. 8) :lol:

When I fitted the cargo floor I only primed it so I wouldn't wreck the top coat trial fitting the furniture while I was making it, so last thing I seam sealed it ready.

Latest posts