68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very tidy indeed Mr Zed 8) can't be much more than the flooring and cushions in the rear now?

Merlydog said:
Looking very tidy indeed Mr Zed 8) can't be much more than the flooring and cushions in the rear now?
Just what I was thinking. And of course the plant pots for my tomatoes. :msn4:

sparkywig said:
ZedBed said:
Merlydog said:
Just what I was thinking. And of course the plant pots for my tomatoes. :msn4:

I think some lilies will suit it better.....
Are you suggesting it looks like a coffin/hearse? :lol:

But of course there still is more to do - the big centre spaces under both seats are just that - big empty spaces. The cooker one must be a drawer, but the Rock and roll one I might just panel for top access.

And of course there are still lots of little bits to do...

Same thing t'other side withe the bulkhead panels. The wide oak trim here and in the back is because there wasn't quite enough bulkhead panel to spread around.
DSCF4392.jpg

Waxoyled the bits that go rusty, stuck the strengtheners back to the skin with Tiger seal and stuck on some sound deadening material. Nice heavy slammage now and no rattles.
DSCF4386.jpg

Slipped the kick panels in - not too bad considering how far in the front panel is pushed in. The odd screw might help pull it into a better shape...
While I was doing this I noticed this isn't the original front panel - it's been replaced before after earlier crashing. :roll: :lol:
DSCF4387.jpg

Here's the Stainless worktop I had made by a friend. I can't fit it until the other side has been upholstered.
DSCF4393.jpg

Applied some styling to the ends of the divider blind box.
DSCF4397.jpg

Fitted a head Unit. The dash was already butchered. I'm still considering speaker locations so not bought them yet.
DSCF4390.jpg

Drivers seat covered.
DSCF4388.jpg

This is the 4th time I've covered the double seat base. it was too loose and I've been trying stuffings which all looked too lumpy. This time was wadding layers from an old futon.
DSCF4383.jpg

And finally some sound deadener in the back. I'm running out of the good stuff so tried some flash band I had knocking about. It's rubbish compared to the real stuff, but better than nothing.
DSCF4385.jpg

Merlydog said:
Check those seats out! Looking gooood! 8)
Thank you me dear. Dash though. :shock: Looked ok in the dark, then the flash flashed on it. It's the one bit I haven't cleaned yet due to silicon in the cleaning/blacking stuff. Wanted to get painted first. Job for tomorrow perhaps.

And of course, all the furniture has to come back out next week. :roll:

And for todays entertainment, first I tackled the double seat back. Someone had taken up the slack previously by stuffing foam under the springs. Also the frame was snapped on one side and a few connector wires had slipped or fallen off. Frame braced and welded, I peeled off the coconut(?) matting and wooly layer together with the foam which was stuck to the matting.
DSCF4398.jpg

When I'd got the foam off the matting was a bit crumbly so I put some polythene over the seat frame and springs before putting the coconut and wool bit back on. Then I built it up with layers from the futon and wrestled the cover on.
DSCF4402.jpg

Not too bad. 8)
DSCF4405.jpg

Next up the pesky divider blind. Someone who shall not be named leant on it at Techenders and it went ping - my fault. lol
And I hadn't sorted out how to hook it up. Another thing is the slot it very long and the back of the box warped a bit closing the gap and trapping the blind. I pondered bracing the box and would have but couldn't see and invisible way of doing it, so in the end I routed the slot out differently instead.

I'm concerned it will droop in the middle, so I made this heath-robinson thing. lol You'll have noticed I like to cobble together bits I find in the workshop just for the fun of something odd.
DSCF4414.jpg

You can see I don't actually need it, but if the blind does sag in the future, the ends will fall off their perches, so I'll keep it just in case.
DSCF4410.jpg

Finally all the blinds are completed with the sliding door one fitted. The flash makes them look wrinkly but they look better really lol.
DSCF4424.jpg

All designed so the door opens without smashing the blind up so I can go for a leak without garroting myself on stupid curtains. ;) I'm starting to feel a bit smug again - bitch slap me someone.
DSCF4425.jpg

The full wrinkly effect. :(
DSCF4420.jpg

I'm so pleased to have these finished. Pain in the bum, but worth their weight in gold now they're fitted. 8)

After seeing the state of the dash on a picture up there^, I thought it about time I cleaned it. I didn't bother earlier because I'd only have had to do it again with the mess I make fitting the fittings and stuff.
DSCF4417.jpg

DSCF4415.jpg

I don't know why it looks lit up?? Freaky Photographic effect I think. :thinking: I wish it really did do that, in reality I can see just half the petrol guage and the rest is darkness. ::)

Looking good Steve, liking the blinds !
By the way I havent forgot I promised you a selection of beers, will drop them over soon, be good to have a nose at your interior again.
Cheers
Martin

Howie123 said:
By the way I havent forgot I promised you a selection of beers, will drop them over soon, be good to have a nose at your interior again.
Cheers
Martin
I will take you for a ride in my van - you can focus on the speedo. ;)

ZedBed said:
Howie123 said:
Cheers
Martin
I will take you for a ride in my van - you can focus on the speedo. ;)

When's the engine due for delivery then?

ZedBed said:
And finally some sound deadener in the back. I'm running out of the good stuff so tried some flash band I had knocking about. It's rubbish compared to the real stuff, but better than nothing.
DSCF4385.jpg

what was the 'good stuff' - I need to do mine and was going flashing route but thinking it's not going to be the best idea I've had/copied!

The flashing I had was really light weight - maybe better stuff is available?
The sound proofing a customer decided to coat the entire inside of his westy with it! Naturally he ran out, but I was impressed with the stuff, so when he ordered more he got me a sheet too. So, sorry I don't know what it is or where it came from - I've had it lying in waiting for years... It's rubbery sort of stuff. :? I'm guessing the sheet was about 6ft x 4ft for £50 and plenty to do a whole bus if you don't coat the entire thing!

OLIVE-BAY said:
I'm thinking of getting this stuff

http://www.noisekillergb.com/campervan_products.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but £300 pound for a full kit is a bit steep so I'll have to save my pennies :?
I'm guesssing I must have had a full sheet of this.
http://www.noisekillergb.com/product_details.asp?ItemID=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't have to use as they have - obviously they're encouraging you to use loads, but pads stuck on oll the panels and it goes a long way. Makes the doors clunk anyway. :lol:

Farting about a bit today.

Re-wafered the engine hatch lock.
Replaced the fan to heat exchanger ducts.
Having reminded myself up there^ that the instrument cluster only half lights up I sorted that as well, then went on a tangent trying to get the dimmer working, but that must be broken.
Lastly having mucked about in the dark in the engine bay I added an old beetle cab light. Not very tidy and not very bright but it'll do for now.
DSCF4428.jpg

Not one of my best ideas - more light comes out of the back than the front. :lol:
DSCF4430.jpg

Just fitted a couple of boxes of this stuff, in my bus not covered it top to bottom but put large pads on all flat panels and the difference is unbelievable all my doors go klunk now lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-VEHICLE-SOUND-DEADENING-PROOFING-PADS-10-SHEETS-/330718496535?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4d005bc717#ht_945wt_689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun

Latest posts