68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5erge said:
Now that is one unique interior, not going for a flagstone floor are you :mrgreen:

Des
I was thinking Parquet...

Just need to prise those door cards off your bus for you Des and I'm nearly there. ;)

kevinhall said:
That looks frickin awesome :) fantastic job dude
Thanks Kevin. :)

Actually camped in it over the weekend. Froze on Friday night as my leisure battery was too flat. I drove there at night so I don't think the dynamo could manage the lights and charging both batteries which not been touched since last September. Sat night camp site owner lent me a fully charged battery and put mine on charge and it was toasty with the eber and frosty outside.

Sitting in the back overlooking the countryside with the sun warming the bus - panoramic views unclutted by curtains, cupboards and mosquito netted louve windows was everything I'd aimed for. :) Same driving it - no blind spots at all. And pretty roomy inside compared to all the campers I've had previously. Happy. :)

DSCF4340.jpg

The beam hit the road a few times on the fen roads though. :(Odd as there's more space between the road and the beam than the tyres and the arches, but the tyres didn't rub once. I have a plan to end all rubbage problems that I'm going to try...

sparkywig said:
Are you going to keep that plan a secret, or are you going back to stock height? ;)
I'm going to try it before I make a complete fool of myself. :lol: If it works it'll off the shelf parts and be so cheap I couldn't make money out of it so yes I'll spill the beans. :)
I had a proper look today and although the scraping sounded more metallic than when I've had tyre rubbage in the past, it is the tyres/arches after all, not beam/ground which is good.

sparkywig said:
:lol:

With regards to the leisure battery going flat, ideally you'll need to charge it before a trip as the dynamo will only get it to about 80% if it's been run low.
It's a standard car battery pretending to be a leisure battery. Luckily I didn't flatten it - just not enough oomph for the heater which cycled through it's start up, then cut out when it lit which was slightly annoying in a "so near yet so far" sort of way - it was bloody freezing at the weekend. :lol:

New engine will have alternator.

I'm pretty excited to have this double/single set I can tell you. :)
DSCF4351.jpg

I couldn't possibly have justified getting these with all the other poop going on in my life (see first post) You know who you are and I love you. :)

After the mad pre-techenders rush, I'm having a wee break to chivvy the divorce on a bit.... But after scraping the wheels on the tubs on the fen roads on the way I've been thinking.

Although it takes a reasonable hump/shallow in the road to make the front tyres scrape the inner arches, it can't be allowed on the Zed bus. No, no. It's embaressing having to slow down for bumps in the road.

With flipped spindles this is a problem most people experience. It's catch22 - you do it this way because the alternative is to fit adusters in the beam alter the suspension geometry making the ride harsher. But because you still have the lovely smooth suspension the wheel expects about 2 feet of clear arch space to bounce up and down in but now has 50mm in my case. Thats about 2" to you older readers. The usual cure is to fit coilover shocks, but I've driven one like this and I couldn't focus on the speedo below 35-40mph though faster and it was a good ride.

So I've invented a secret device to cure the problem, known colloquially as "Rubbage". The Zedbus has the device fitted and I'm going to cruise along the route of maximum rubbage and see what happens (when I remember to take the front seat with me). lol

I shall then sell millions of them to early bay owners and never have to work again. :)

Looking forwards to hearing about your "Rubbage" cure. I eased my "Rubbage" condition with a pair of toxic shocks on the front, made a huge difference.

Hi,

I'm intrigued about your anti-rubbage devise can’t wait to see it.

I’ve been running a prototype device I designed on mine. Works on all but the largest bumps :)

Well as you probably don't know I've buggered my neck/shoulder summut. Spinal Physio booked but in the meantime I can only potter. Seems like most pottering leads me back to my own bus for some reason. :lol:

So today I had a look at the passenger door. I had previously built it up enough to get the windows in to go camping, but with only the outer scraper because the outer skin it split from just above the mirror. It's a common split. Some doors it would be the last straw and chuck it, but this is otherwise sound enough and of course you can't change a door on a bus with paintwork like this.

I cleaned up a bit and took a picture... The split goes right round inside.
DSCF4371.jpg

Then I welded, ground, filled, primed and painted all within an hour and stuffed it back together straight away. You gotta love ratty van ownership. 8)

DSCF4372.jpg

Nice one Zed, my passenger door has the exact same split, its on my to do list!
Great job on the interior, nice to see a fresh look and one thats very practical.
Hopefully get to see it in the metal at some point.

Cali_bay said:
Hi,

I'm intrigued about your anti-rubbage devise can’t wait to see it.

I’ve been running a prototype device I designed on mine. Works on all but the largest bumps :)
Beans spilled in the tech section, but I'll paste the guts in here as well....

I thought the best solution was to put the bump-stops back where they'd work.
The rubber stops are designed by shape to be progressive and presumably the correct firmness for the job. Initially I was going to merely buy longer ones, but they miss the landing pad/hit the edge at a squiffy angle.
I spaced the stops off the horns in the end.

I made 1st atempt just for a look-see out of sq hollow section, but as there isn't the arc to move through before they hit the angle was wrong but it gave me some idea how to make one, how thick to make it etc.

2nd atempt is wedge shaped and throws the stop back a little - not far, as you wouldn't want it cantilevering or you'll loose it on the first bump. I welded on the pin from an old stop so I can fit the spacer with a standard bump stop clip and drilled a hole opposite for stop, again fitted with the standard clip. All reversable if I went back to stock.

Since the pictures, I've added some lugs to stop it spinning. That's it. Here's a pic.
DSCF4359.jpg

It cost nothing as I had the stops still on the bus and the rest kicking about. I sliced up sone 3mm thick 30mm sq hollow section and welded it on the skew. Had I found something else strong enough they may have ended up looking a bit different.
I was going to bolt them on but it's too fiddly and the nuts kept falling down the horn on the axle.:lol:

Seems like a winner to me?

sparkywig said:
Have you fully tested it yet?
I haven't tested it at all. I hoped that was clear. However there is another forum member who has come up with the same solution and has tested it. I'm sure he's ok with me saying that - another private one-off suspension fixer. He may tell his story... or not - up to him. :)

More bits inside. Hacked up some bulkhead panels to cover bulkhead, lower bulkhead and just inside the rear hatch.
DSCF4376.jpg

DSCF4377.jpg

DSCF4381.jpg

Latest posts