68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZedBed said:
I got some everything-proof Marmoleum for the floor.
It lasted 10+ years of abuse in the westy with everything from motorbikes, engines, rubbish dump trips camping and all and still looked pretty good.

I love the stuff - random swirling patterns and like I say - everything proof. Not cheap, but worth it IMO in a buy once buy right sort of way, so I got some for this bus. :) Should have got a deeper redder one but hey-ho.

I love Marmoleum! Glad to see it being used in a van, great idea. When we did up our flat we put it throughout the kitchen, hall and spare room and absolutely love it. Good Eco friendly choice too as it's made from natural materials, and very retro! :)

ZedBed said:
Sorry, I won't be doing any shows :( - not my bag :|
Looks like I will need to take a cruise out to your workshop to have a look.

sjc said:
ZedBed said:
Sorry, I won't be doing any shows :( - not my bag :|
Looks like I will need to take a cruise out to your workshop to have a look.
Better be quick then - plan is to give up resto, move 100 miles, live on a boat and... don't know what - mobile mech?. :lol:

Up to Edale for a long weekend. Hammered down some country roads, not a single case of rubbage, handled great and still got stops attached. V pleased.
I took a "cheat" lowered bus picture while I was in the grass...
DSCF4452.jpg

Merlydog said:
You need a black square number plate Steve! :shock:

I like those. They are period whatever the purists tell you. My dad had a car in 68 with these type of plate. I believe they were optional at the time and he must have thought they made the car look more modern. If it's good enough for me dad...:)

Square ones would cover the "number plate on" respray better though.

ZedBed said:
Merlydog said:

I like those. They are period whatever the purists tell you. My dad had a car in 68 with these type of plate. I believe they were optional at the time and he must have thought they made the car look more modern. If it's good enough for me dad...:)

You can still put it on wonky ;) Defo black square one, get your man to age it then like your cooker top jobby :)

Merlydog said:
ZedBed said:
Merlydog said:

You can still put it on wonky ;) Defo black square one, get your man to age it then like your cooker top jobby :)
OK I admit it - it's just there to see if it annoys anyone. :msn4: :lol:

It's been a while, but I haven't got far...
I've hurt my neck fairly permanently so it's been slow going. To that end I had to upgrade the RR bed as leaning over to lift the rear to make back into a seat was too much. I went for the real Westy hinges and bodged a bed using my original and the westy hinges.
Here's the Westy/Devon/Zedbed.
DSCF4600.jpg

With the Devon board support frame welded on, and some stands for bed position. The stands tuck in right at the edbe of the under-bed box so hopefully won't mash things.
DSCF4599.jpg

Bed mode - the stands sit on purpose made thingy's.
DSCF4598.jpg

Now here's the thing. Westy's have 6" thick foam! That will look too chunky I think, but any less and there'll be a gap between the base and the back when in seat-mode. Here's a pic with 4" foam.
DSCF4596.jpg

Would a gap be bad? The back sticks up further as well which I'm not pleased about, but the reason for all this is so I can use the bed without further neck buggeration. The Westy hinges are the dogs. I can go from bed to seat with one hand, standing outside. Cool as 8).

Then I thought I should progress the kitchen bit as well to be ready for the seat covering.
So I made to spreader plates with nuts welded to then for the hinges to screw to. These will be enclosed in the seat covering.
DSCF4595.jpg

Then drilled the stainless worktop for the hinges. I've been putting this off! Here we are though - another step closer... :)
DSCF4592.jpg

DSCF4594.jpg

ZedBed said:
Then I thought I should progress the kitchen bit as well to be ready for the seat covering.
So I made to spreader plates with nuts welded to then for the hinges to screw to. These will be enclosed in the seat covering.
DSCF4595.jpg

Then drilled the stainless worktop for the hinges. I've been putting this off! Here we are though - another step closer... :)
DSCF4592.jpg

DSCF4594.jpg

Definitely looking good :) loving the work, stainless is great to drill isn't it :lol:

Looks fantastic, all nice and bespoke.. I like it very much! I think you know what I'm gonna say about the foam, I agree with you, a gap looks silly.. 8)

67panel said:
but at least you can get the seat belts through :msn4:
No belts in the back dude. That's for family types. Been there, done that and they've all buggered off. :mrgreen:

Real reason it's very annoying that you seem to have to buy extended belts and the extension buckle then gets caught in the mechanism jamming the bed. And they're unsightly, and my blinds are in the way. :lol:

Still looking great as always Zed 8)

What's the stainless "T" shaped piece by the sliding door for?

gvee said:
Still looking great as always Zed 8)

What's the stainless "T" shaped piece by the sliding door for?
It's a shelf. :) And it nicely covers up where the stop on the router slipped and I went right through... :msn4:

And today I pottered and made the drawer for the centre of the kitchen unit mounted on recycled filing cabinet drawer runners. Also last pieces of trim on the same unit. Forgot the camera, but that, I'm pretty sure, is that as far as woodworking goes. Get the bed and seats covered and all done. I can't believe I'm so close, I must have forgotten something. Oh yes - a table. I think that'll have to be phase 3...

I thought about a night out in the bus today, but the thought of driving through the wind with me dodgy neck put me off. So I thought if I can't camp in it I'll carry on making it better. Today mainly I've been staining and treating odd bits of trim that got left out and the new parts I made last week. A few pictures of the last bits and bobs. :)
With the drawer finished, the kitchen unit now complete except for the cushions. Closed up in seat mode...
DSCF4605.jpg

...and open...
DSCF4610.jpg

New bits of trim on the hinge cover end grain - this also builds it up to the level so the back rests on it flush. Planned 8 months ago but now finally fitted...
DSCF4611.jpg

Fuzzy pic of the drawer front...
DSCF4606.jpg

It's got a bit of oak around the outside honest. lol

...and finally the new RR bed front panel. Yes I know it's red, but that's the only piece of wood I had with the grain running horizontally. It'll have to go of course, but ok for now and easy to replace later. The uprights are red too, but they can stay as they're mahogany. Or maybe not actually. Ugly buggers.
DSCF4607.jpg

gvee said:
Truly one of the best interiors I have ever seen - great craftmanship and design!
8) 8) 8)
Thanks mate. When I got the van I just wanted to go and camp - matress in the back would have done, but I missed the summer and the winter produced this. I have no idea what happened - one thing just led to another with no overall plan other than a love of symmetry. :?

I've been camping in it and I have to say those drawers are bloody daft - I have no idea what to put in them.:lol: But the lockers right at the back are like Tardis. Now I have the kitchen drawer for pots and pans and the like, and the rr bed space for big things I think next time out maybe I won't be camping out of cardboard boxes. :)

It's not been much fun, but the end result demands pain along the way. I just hope that unlike all my previous vans this doen't have to go to pay a bill.

Latest posts