68 Dormobile barn find

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love one but the courier charge would be a killer.... don't suppose you are visiting shetland anytime soon? I have a pal who passes malvern occasionally; would all of the bits fit inside the back of an Audi A6 estate? And what sort of price are you thinking of? PM back if you like.
Ta!

Got a fortnight off work, so expect some big progress on the bus. I've been busy accumulating bits for it as I haven't been able to lay a spanner on it for a month. Will it be ready this summer? God knows, I'll have a better idea after next weeks welding marathon. :)

Got these a feww weeks back. All now painted and fitted.
droppedspindles.jpg

Put a couple of tyres on off my Citroen C1 (155/65 14s)... super low, but I don't think the load rating is anywhere near what the bus needs!

IMG_0351-Copy.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new. I'll be fitting a new crossmember as well. I held off cutting a perfectly good floor but there really is no other way without a roller or ramp. At least once these parts are in, everything else ties in around them... sills, b pillars, front arches etc. Should be sorted completely in a day or two.

Before:
IMG_0248.jpg

During:
eb49a4af.jpg

62ad8b46.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the phone pics. All the welds still need tidying and dressing back, But the crossmember is ready to go and will be getting welded in tomorrow. It would have been today, but a big blob of welding splatter somehow managed to get past my helmet and drop straight into my ear, which kinda put me in a bad mood for a while. Not all a bad day though, cos I found a newish gearknob in the remains of the heater pipe. The previous owner used to let their kids play in the camper in the barn, and the little scamps must have dropped the knob down the heatriser hole in the cab! So for tomorrow, expect the crossmember in, the front outriggers, and a load of fresh red oxide over all the repairs. Unless I get another earful of molten metal, that is.

Front crossmember and outriggers are now in, but I still need to grind back the welds and paint it.
942bcc46.jpg

Got another blob of splatter in my ear, but I must be getting used to it as I barely flinched ;)
Moving on to the right hand sill assembly next.

Apparantly the boffins down south are starting to sample all these dust clouds. Wonder how long it will take them to realise it isn't volcanic ash. I left the garage door open while I was grinding out all the previous owner's filler.
I'm removing the remains of the old sill and tidying up the rhs long panel. Pics later.

The previous owner looks to have patched up the floor (with galv sheet) area above the rhs sills and seamed them onto the sill instead of spot welding it. This is making replacing the sill a nightmare! I've tried searching for spot welds but there are only a few visible. I've tried careful use of an air chisel, but to tell the truth, judging by the chewed up and heavily patched state of the floor, I would like to replace the whole cargo floor area with new metal. It will make replacing the sills and rear crossmember much easier.
Has anyone on the forum had any experience of the cargo floors that the vw suppliers can provide? I know they are of varying quality, and the cost of carriage up to these parts is not insignificant. I have half a mind to get some profile sheet from a local metal fabricators and make up my own.

bottom rung said:
Apparantly the boffins down south are starting to sample all these dust clouds. Wonder how long it will take them to realise it isn't volcanic ash. I left the garage door open while I was grinding out all the previous owner's filler.

Like it :lol:

Latest posts