68 Dormobile barn find

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottom rung said:
I first saw it done on a Machine 7 beetle dash about twenty years ago. It looked really cool then..... I'm going to clean it up and nail it to my garage wall :)

Was that homer(?), seem to recall a targa top beetle in peach with volvo t5 wheels having a similar dash as well & theres a guy on Volkszone that did his bay dash the same way - but never seen it on a sliding door :shock:

Its been a while..... just put an order in for a load of sill, chassis and front end bits from Scofields. Expect to see some updates shortly! Not looking forward to replacing the centre front crossmember though..... :shock:

Loxy said:
bottom rung said:
I first saw it done on a Machine 7 beetle dash about twenty years ago. It looked really cool then..... I'm going to clean it up and nail it to my garage wall :)

Was that homer(?), seem to recall a targa top beetle in peach with volvo t5 wheels having a similar dash as well & theres a guy on Volkszone that did his bay dash the same way - but never seen it on a sliding door :shock:

yeah thats the one, apparently its coming out of hibernation soon!

Val looks ok ish! good luck, make sure you take lots of progress photos.

Mark

I made use of a day off work today. I fired up the compresser and whipped the previous owner's lower front panel off.
I tidied up the bottom end of the late front panel that he had fitted and offered up a new early bay lower front. I decided to trim a few inces off the top of the panel to bring the join line down away from the headlights but keeping it up above the indicator holes.
Picture006.jpg

I joddled the lower panel and clamped it up.
Picture008.jpg

Still getting used to the welder, so please excuse the chicken poo welds.... the other side will be better.
Picture007.jpg

It feels good to have finally made a start; the target date is a camping trip in it next easter!

Time for the rh indicator closing plate. These come oversize and have to be trimmed back quite severely, but at least the curve matches the grille. I tried a couple of home made ones first but binned them as metalwork isn't my forte. Spot welds are getting nearer to what I would like.
Picture013.jpg

She is starting to look more like an early bay again!
Picture014.jpg

I cut out the raised badge area ready for some flat sheet. Having a quick cuppa while I type and then its off to find the nibblers and joddler again.
Picture011.jpg

I cut out a piece to fill the hole. I tried to keep it as small as possible so the repair might be hidden behind the vw badge if need be. I started spotwelding it in....
Picture015.jpg

and then daisychained the spots together and ground it back.
Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Tomorrow I will need to finish off mounting the lower panel and sort out the indicator mounting brackets. Hopefully I will get the whole front sanded back and a light skim over the welds.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not looking to make a show winner, which is just as well really. I am after a good daily driver that can occasionaly take me and my family camping; really looking forward to next summer!

As I live about as far away from Vanfest as is possible while still being in the UK, I will be spending the weekend welding, filling and generally getting mucky in the garage instead. The front panel is nearly done: I have to stitch the bottom of the panel onto the lower crossmember thingy, fold the lower panel sides into the doorshuts and put a skim of filler over some of the welds. Expect a few pics over the weekend. I have stripped the dash assembly and will be rubbing it down and repainting as well. Three of the wheels have had whats left of their hubcap clips and rivets removed, and are down the blasters getting cleaned up and primed. (I only have two axle stands so the back wheels are still on the bus!) I have a good tailgate coming up from south and a set of ambulance fans as well. It looks like an ambulance fan switch is going to takea while to find; does anyone know which other vw switch is easiest to adapt to work instead?

Have a great time at Vanfest everyone, I'll be there next year. Maybe. ;)

bottom rung said:
As I live about as far away from Vanfest as is possible while still being in the UK, I will be spending the weekend welding, filling and generally getting mucky in the garage instead. The front panel is nearly done: I have to stitch the bottom of the panel onto the lower crossmember thingy, fold the lower panel sides into the doorshuts and put a skim of filler over some of the welds. Expect a few pics over the weekend. I have stripped the dash assembly and will be rubbing it down and repainting as well. Three of the wheels have had whats left of their hubcap clips and rivets removed, and are down the blasters getting cleaned up and primed. (I only have two axle stands so the back wheels are still on the bus!) I have a good tailgate coming up from south and a set of ambulance fans as well. It looks like an ambulance fan switch is going to takea while to find; does anyone know which other vw switch is easiest to adapt to work instead?

Have a great time at Vanfest everyone, I'll be there next year. Maybe. ;)

Have a productive weekend! - look forward to the progress pics, I haven't a clue when it comes to welding, grinding e.t.c. so always interesting to see the work in progress :)

Thanks! Although I am happy pottering about with a welder, I leave all the structural stuff to the pro's. It doesn't take long to pick up the basics and there are loads of websites to explain all the different ways of joining panels and bits together. You might be surprised how straightforward it is.
Today I am mostly dropping more bits off at the blasters and going down to the Shetland equivalent of Halfrauds to buy paint, primer, etc etc.
Wish I was packing up to go to vanfest instead!

The blaster still hasn't finished my wheels so I still can't do much on the front of the van as the nose is tight up at the garage end and sitting on stands. I spent the afternoon tidying up the bodywork around the back hatch. Its looking like some poor work has been done in the past and the shut lines are way out on the right hand side. I have made a long vertical cut from the swage bulge downwards and pulled the shutline into a better shape. I have filled up the gap with weld and have ground back all the welds. It looks ok but is still a couple of mil shallow on one side. I might go for a full righthandside corner body cut, but it is going to be a nightmare getting one up here from south. I'll see what it ends up like once it is filled and primed before I get stressed over it.
In the meantime a good front bumper has arrived and a good rear bumper with overriders is on its way up as well. Graham L has supplied a lovely rust free tailgate and a switch for my ambulance fans is on its way from Canada. I have a couple of weeks off in October and I will be spending the majority of it in the garage; the work isn't going to do itself!

Sounds like you are having fun ;)
Don't forget the pic's - we all like to see what you are achieving :D

Look what I got on ebay:
BbMw6ZQBWkKGrHqQH-DEqu5fmE5eBKu5IRH.jpg

A set of 14" Alley Cat slot mags. I will be running 195/70s on the back and probably 175/65s on the front, on a narrowed lowered beam. As a sixties kid I always loved slotmags, which is just as well as Fuchs are out of my price bracket now! I'll be dropping the beam tomorrow hopefully, look out for the pics.

pictures20Oct2009001.jpg

Arch cut off ready to replace the lower B-post, outrigger and end of the top hat section.

pictures20Oct2009006.jpg

The old arch had been welded over the original arch remains. Nice.

pictures20Oct2009007.jpg

The back right arch had same treatment. There's at least 2 arches there.

pictures20Oct2009002.jpg

At least the back left arch was the original and should be straightforward to replace.

pictures20Oct2009005.jpg

So what do you think, slots or steelies?

bottom rung said:
Thanks Alistair!
I might still be tempted to sell the slots to fund some more panels and window seals for the camper. The only problem might be the courier charge for the wheels! :shock:

That's true, forgot you were in Shetland! :roll: I guess you find the same problem - only more so, in that the bit's you want are always way too far away!

I think polished slots would be nice and different - not everyone will have a pair of those. All depends on what "look" you are going to acheive, stock, or not etc.

Cheers!

Alistair

I spent the day in the garage working on the bus today; I thought I would finish taking off the bellypans and check the chassis legs for rust. I knew the outriggers needed doing, and also a bit of work on the offside sill. It seems I also need: offside inner, outer and middle sill, nearside inner/outer/middle sills etc, a near complete tophat section on the crossmember between the front outriggers; oh, and that crossmember as well. Also a rear crossmember and a few sections of chassis leg.
All this I half expected, but what I didn't know about was that the front drivers chassis leg was heavily undersealed for a reason.... It is just about shot all the way from the front outrigger all the way to the beam mount. Ah well, it gives me an excuse to drop the front beam, narrow it and fit adjusters.
I literally peeled off a complete rear arch that a previous owner had just tacked onto the side of the bus directly over the old arch. He must have then skimmed a huge slab of filler over the join. My garage is now full of filler dust, as is my ears, pants, hair eyes, nostrils etc. And thats with wearing overalls, a hat, ear defenders, mask and safety glasses.
Gripe over, I'll attack the bus again tomorrow. I'm off for a beer to comiserate :x

Latest posts