68 Kombi projekt is now 70 westfalia

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rene p. l.

Reaction score
Here it is... I'm the new owner of this 68 Kombi.

I bought it with parts in boxes, the frame is perfect. Originalley delievered in California, this kombi travelled to Kentucky, New-York and now into Québec for a little bit more than a year.

I want to keep it with that original paint.

So, some pictures to start that topic!

I will put more photos soon as I'm currently doing the reassembly of this Kombi. I bought it with parts in boxes and I want to know what is missing on this project.

It's a basic bus but i don't really know how this bus should come out of the factory.

As for the project, I want to keep it as is but lowered and some nice wheels. Probably a westy rear bench/seat.

Nice to see another one getting back on the road here in Canada Rene :D

I'm now into the lowering process.

I don't want any tubs in front and no frame notching. I want it low but still a daily for summer days.

It's seem that the best set-up to have is a Link pin beam from a split bus. Do I need to modify something? (draglink, shifter rod, re-route cables or wire)

As for the rear adjustable plates, you have a lot of suppliers in Europe, but any idea for a Canadian or USA supplier?

rene p. l. said:
I'm now into the lowering process.

I don't want any tubs in front and no frame notching. I want it low but still a daily for summer days.

It's seem that the best set-up to have is a Link pin beam from a split bus. Do I need to modify something? (draglink, shifter rod, re-route cables or wire)

As for the rear adjustable plates, you have a lot of suppliers in Europe, but any idea for a Canadian or USA supplier?

I believe Nate at Wagenswest is making them now although they aren't on his site.

Not sure how low you want to go but this is my '68 after lowering one outer spline in the rear and welding in front beam adjusters. This was a 2.5" drop in the rear and 3" at the front ... but I plan on lowering the front a bit more. Shorter shocks were the only other modification but they needed replacing anyway. Bus beam adjusters are available at CIP1.ca

vwcanuck said:
Not sure how low you want to go but this is my '68 after lowering one outer spline in the rear and welding in front beam adjusters. This was a 2.5" drop in the rear and 3" at the front ... but I plan on lowering the front a bit more. Shorter shocks were the only other modification but they needed replacing anyway. Bus beam adjusters are available at CIP1.ca

I had a '79 some time ago that was lowered with adjusters only and I had some problem with my ball joints. The boots didn't stay in place more than some 100 km. But it was lower than your panel. That's why I want to go with the Link pin beam, unless I can install a cast lowered spindle but airkewld and autohaus have some for 73 and up only...

I sold this bus in last october because I want an early pop-top Westfalia for the family. I picked up my new westy yesterday. It's an abandoned project that sat in a garage for some time. Came with a lot of new parts and a fresh coat of paint applied like 9-10 years ago. The paint is metal flake... kind special when the sun reflect on it. I'll post some photos later today.

So this weekend, I removed and install a new main wiring harness. Now i have to sorted out all the electrical issues I currently have with switches and relays.

As for work needed to this westy

-Repair the pop-top roof (hinge broken, wood reinforcement needs to be replaced)
-Verify the oïl leak of the engine
-Overhauled braking system
-Lowered it
-Redo the interior panels
-Get some wheels

Did someone already had to repair the mounting threaded nut that is welded into the chassis rail? My westy is missing a threaded nut into the RHS chassis rail in the back. How would you repair this... by installing an threaded insert or cut the chassis rail?

I modify a brazilian bus to fit mine. I started to measure an old one I had, tranfer thoses measure to my new bumper, drill holes and squared them with a file. Now I have to order some rear splash pan to complete my installation. Side bumper holes will be drill later with the splash pan installation.

Latest posts