68 OG Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lovely van ;) with regards to fuel lines replace them defo and stick that filter under the van by the gearbox out of the way , the less clips in the engine bay the better .......if the filter leeks or the joints the dizzy is right underneath it :shock: and there will be only one outcome :cry:

super van and I still gaze at that spare wheel picture most evenings ........... :mrgreen:

chris

Supervan and crede999 if your both very lucky you may be allowed to touch the spare wheel one day :lol:
Been thinking about putting a counter under pic to see how many hits it gets :lol:
Have had a look under van and see what you mean by resighting fuel filter inline by gearbox and will get it done over weekend,cheers for info.

Thanks who? for nice comments.

Thought you guys may be interested in pic of some of the parts changed so far.

Florencethecamper090.jpg

Not sure kink in tie rod is genuine VW factory fit.All joints knackered inc draglink.

Florencethecamper089.jpg

Florencethecamper091.jpg

No wonder there was play in rear wheel bearings,outer cages broken up,no play now though.

Hi all.
Went out for a shake down run on Sunday,ran really well brakes bedded in nicely and steering much better having changed tie rods and drag link.Bit of a flat spot when accelerating and going up hill,so will need to overhaul the carburetter me thinks.
Thats the good news went to start her yesterday nothing.Turns over great but no go,tested and swopped everything still no go. :(
Left her alone and had another go today and guess what points closed up and leads round the wrong way having changed dizzy cap twice.
All sorted now,you have got to love them eh.... :D
Thanks 67panel for help.

Hi all got my new plates fitted and really like them.Thanks Shaun for recommending States Plates.

Florencethecamper109.jpg

Florencethecamper104.jpg

Started stripping poptop canvas in preparation for new one.
Will post pics of what I uncovered :(

That is so cool that you guy's can pretty much have what ever kind of plate you want. We can have personalized plates, but we have to have what the state makes. We can't make our own. Although I see a lot of people defacing our currant plates. LOL I think it is to make it harder for the red light cameras to pick up! LOL

Thanks Shaun
Not sure there 100% legal :D but I do like them.
The rear surround is the original supplying Dealer plate,they started selling VW and Porsche way back in 1955 and are still VW Audi dealers.

What i do ian is carry my english plates in the bus as well so if the police do stop me i can swap because the plates on my bus are only stuck on with velcro so easy to get off and also acting dum will help(i didn`t know they were ilegal officer i have just been to a show) :? :lol:
cheers shaun

Next job on list replacing poptop canvas.Stripped off old canvas to reveal a few problems with woodwork and fibreglass fixings.
Need to replace rear part of wood frame,found an offcut of birch ply at builders yard so will cut to shape,then fibreglass to rest of frame and re glass nearside frame back on to poptop.
Once refurbed will take to Jon (faux) to fit new canvas.

Florencethecamper113.jpg

Florencethecamper106.jpg

Florencethecamper107.jpg

Florencethecamper108.jpg

More pics of rear woodwork to follow.

tumblr_m0w85oBK8W1qf2thio1_1280.png

tumblr_m0zpbqsqgM1qf2thio1_1280.png

Ian's Westy came to stay for a few days, so we got the wax out!
I'm not sure I've seen a cleaner van underneath ... It was almost a shame to spray wax on, but at least it will stay solid now it's in the UK!

Reborn bay man said:
Hi Mike
Pictures come up as ? on IPhone and X on lap top any ideas
Cheers
Ian :?

The site may be having issues, try my blog link :)

Latest posts