68 only bits and peices...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Reaction score
just wanted to make a list of all the 68 only bits fitted to the reet early bays, feel free to add yours, i also have one or two questions about one ore trwo fo them to see if they are 68 only bits or not!

the 68 only bits that i know of are...

(lower body outside colour) coded painted dash, ie not just black like the latter ones,

one year only wiper motor, with fully moving spindles, not spidels inside the threaded stubs,

late splitty door cab door handles,

door pulls like the late bays ie, it has the lock mechanisem, not on the double handle thing, but a proper door pulls neaxt to the windows,

indicator swich one year only with pictures on it, not just chrome pointer style one,

one year only speedo with mileometer section at the bottom

ingtion and igntion housing/braket for steering wheel etc, all one year only...

The ones im unsure of are, the door pulls, mines defiantly a 68 but had inner lockable door pulls, but all other early bays (but not 68's) have th double handle lockable ones,

the indicator swich pull isnt like anyother ive seen either, the ones fitted to my friends early bay is the chrome pointer styel one with a thin blak sleve on the end, mine is a thin black metal shaft with a large blacksection at the end with pictures on if for inidcators and main beam etc...

now im 100% neother of these are just late model stuff on mine, ie im pritty sure the doors which are on it were on from VW, and im also pritty sure that the indicator isnt an aftermarkt add on... so just wannted your opinion!!

Anyway, is there any more i dont know about??????????

cheers
alex

The dash will only be colour coded if its a euro bus (my mates westy 68 has a padded dash, US model)

The inner sliding door handel will also be like a splitty one, and the door locks on the window frame area are also correct.

when you say the inner sliding door lock is like a splitty one, do you mean non lockable from the inside, or not, i though mine was non lockable from the insdie due to the fact mine is a pannel from VW, oher than that im not too sure of the changes, can you describe it??

anyway splitty sliding doors are rare as fook anyway... ie optional extra non stanadard till the first bay.

rememberd another 68's wernt fitted with the petrol tank removable bulkhead pannel were they!

The window quarterlight catches are rivvetted differently.
Short sunvisors.
The 'lock pulls' in the cab doors have a 'stepped' pattern on them.
Flasher unit 'black box'.
Brake master cylinder.
As well as the door handles and locks being one year, the entire cab door is specific.
The rear view mirror is one year, but in reality isnt.
Ive read the US dash pads are 68 only ... not sure why though?
The beam is 68 only, too. With mounting differences and no drag link.
The front splash pan is 68/69, also.

AUG 67 to JAN 68 only handbrake cable. No recess on bottom of inner sliding door frame where door panel goes.

Clem said:

are they the same as 1967 beetle only ones? ie these?

oyo-doorlockknobs.jpg

they are pritty rare too!

i have a 67 T1 ragtop so know all abou the inns and outs of the *one year only beetle*!

Yes, those pulls are the same.

Oh and clutch cable is 68/69 also.

see they forgot the brake resovour and feed pipe to m/cyl.also dash bulb holders are white.clips on door cards smaller as well and screen vents and dash top 68 only.cant think of any more .

Clem said:
Short sunvisors.
Brake master cylinder.
As well as the door handles and locks being one year, the entire cab door is specific.

The dash pad seems to fit differently on a 68, Midland paintwerks pointed it out to me. The pad comes over the lip on the dash front where as later years sit underneath it. Will try and get a pic at some point. Stuart also thinks there is a difference with the fuel flap as well but not 100% sure what it is

yes the bolt on crash pad/dash top has no lip .I think the internal pressings are differant on tail gate and sliding door but not had a chance to check against a 69.

67westy said:
Clem said:
Short sunvisors.
Brake master cylinder.

The dash pad seems to fit differently on a 68, Midland paintwerks pointed it out to me. The pad comes over the lip on the dash front where as later years sit underneath it. Will try and get a pic at some point. Stuart also thinks there is a difference with the fuel flap as well but not 100% sure what it is

the brow on the dashpad above the clocks is larger aswell

Front damper lower pin is smaller,though that did carry through to early 69 with the early beam .

Hi
Am I right in thinking the poptop fibreglass roof on a 68 has four strengthening indents as opposed to five on later models.

Wiper Arms are bolt on.

Also our sink has no waste outlet in the basin or in the cabinet.
Is the cutlery drawer smaller on a 68 ?

Am I in danger of becoming an anorak.... :lol:

Reborn bay man said:
Hi
Am I right in thinking the poptop fibreglass roof on a 68 has four strengthening indents as opposed to five on later models.

Wiper Arms are bolt on.

Also our sink has no waste outlet in the basin or in the cabinet.
Is the cutlery drawer smaller on a 68 ?

Am I in danger of becoming an anorak.... :lol:

There was a whole thread on 68 westy roofs :) http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; short of it is that a 68 should be smooth with no indents at all. My 68 has the 5 indents so I assume it must be a later roof

My 68 only windscreen wiper snapped off and disappeared under the van on the M6 on the way to camperjam. :(

Anyone got a spare?

Latest posts