'68- Unique?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi

This may seem like a daft question- however, I'll ask it anyway...

I keep coming across people saying that a '68 camper is unique for the year.

Can someone shed any light onto why that is?? What was different about them as opposed to other Early bays?

They are a one year only model so parts are rare - basically a splitty wearing a frock.

Other more knowledgable peeps will have the finer details - just dont mention brake reservoirs :lol:

Windscreen wipers, rear view mirror, door handles, sun visors....

They can be a little harder to get bits for (lots of one year only parts, wipers, brake reservoirs, doors, rear back plates, dash cluster, rear view mirror etc) but the bits are out there. ( I have an unfitted brake reservoir :msn4: )

Doors eh? Whats different about them?

MIne has replacement doors which don't quite shut flat to the body properly- could this be why I wonder....? I can't for the life of me see how to adjust this.

My knowledge is all on Beetles- so campers are a little new to me. I wanted an early bay, but did not realise the '68 had subtle differences!

Doors have different handles (push button splitty ones) and a pull up button to lock/unlock. The internal catch has no lock on it. Also I believe they have different reinforcement inside to later doors but fundamentally they are the same size and shape as later doors.

am i right in thinking 68's don't have a firewall between the engine and tank or did i imagine that?

Some do some don't. Mine does although I think it may be a later addition. I think they were introduced with late 68's

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

am storing lots of info as i've probabaly bored you all to death saying a million times i'm gonna get me a '68....

i can't bring myself to sell my late (right now but never say never) so once the loan is paid i'm gonna have another loan and buy one....

fuck it your a long time dead.

'68s don't have the firewall between the engine and fuel tank - obviously not ideal - but it does mean you can see the fuel tank and get to pipes/connectors/breathers without removing engine...

I didn't specially choose a '68 - but kinda glad I ended up with one...

Having a T2 is a bit different, having a '68 is being a bit different again (not that most civilians care/know - they just see an old camper)

slow-lane-Matt said:
'68s don't have the firewall between the engine and fuel tank - obviously not ideal - but it does mean you can see the fuel tank and get to pipes/connectors/breathers without removing engine...

I didn't specially choose a '68 - but kinda glad I ended up with one...

Having a T2 is a bit different, having a '68 is being a bit different again (not that most civilians care/know - they just see an old camper)

later 68's do. earlier ones didn't. I'll have to check the bible but think it was May 68 they were introduced.

There are at least two different 68 models. The ones up to august 68 and the ones from august 68 and up.
Mine is from august 68 and has some specific parts like the long mirror, the sunvisors to match the mirror and an older style ignition housing. The rest is pretty much the same as the older models.

August 68 onwards is the 69 model year

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Mines jan 68 no firewall, swapped the reservoir for a later type, came with a mirror but not sure it's correct as nothing to compare with. Here's the thing tho...... It doesn't have any sun visors so are standard replacements going to get in the way ??

I've went to the effort of getting correct door handles, wiper arms/blades so hope I have got the right mirror

Latest posts