'68- Unique?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resto-raider said:
There are at least two different 68 models. The ones up to august 68 and the ones from august 68 and up.
Mine is from august 68 and has some specific parts like the long mirror, the sunvisors to match the mirror and an older style ignition housing. The rest is pretty much the same as the older models.

Thats a 69MY though isn't it?

rockandrollcamper said:
Mines jan 68 no firewall, swapped the reservoir for a later type, came with a mirror but not sure it's correct as nothing to compare with. Here's the thing tho...... It doesn't have any sun visors so are standard replacements going to get in the way ??

I've went to the effort of getting correct door handles, wiper arms/blades so hope I have got the right mirror

68 had a metal finish long mirror that screwed in
69 plastic coated long that clips in i think

new visors will fit, just that they are shaped round the mirror is all, (and probably better) the originals aren't.

Here're some photos (slow day in the office !)

Wasn't aware of any dashboard differences - the extra light under heating controls lights up if you drive with the roof up. third dial blank, I suppose to fit a rev counter when they get around to inventing them.
Light switch on far right just for decoration!

Do all Earlies have this lock - always good to have more keys

More chrome - or is that just a late bay thing with the black plastic...?

No firewall - yippee -

Way cooler door handles !

Mirror lower to give improved and more central blindspot - don't know about the sun visors, maybe mine are later EB ones - I don't see the point in the cut-aways. (Also not sure what the poppers in roof lining are for? Curtains?)

...and finally - just to make theft a little less awkward there are these convenient lock buttons to pop up with a bent coat hanger...

Why would anyone consider anything else than a '68....

slow-lane-Matt said:

Wasn't aware of any dashboard differences - the extra light under heating controls lights up if you drive with the roof up. third dial blank, I suppose to fit a rev counter when they get around to inventing them.
Light switch on far right just for decoration!

Do all Earlies have this lock - always good to have more keys

More chrome - or is that just a late bay thing with the black plastic...?

Mirror lower to give improved and more central blindspot - don't know about the sun visors, maybe mine are later EB ones - I don't see the point in the cut-aways. (Also not sure what the poppers in roof lining are for? Curtains?)
Is the light for the roof a standard dormobile thing?

The fuel filler lock is not something I have, I guess a later addition. Tailgate lock looks the same as mine.

The sunvisors you have are later ones, they should be big without cut outs. The poppers are for curtains, at least they are on a westy anyway

Your mirror will be secured with two screws so not much chance it's a wrong un therefore the visors will need to be 68 s for the correct look

The 68 dash has a deeper brow over the instrument cluster

Back to the OP there's not a great deal to worry about until you get hooked and get really anal about shit.

67westy said:
Is the light for the roof a standard dormobile thing?

The fuel filler lock is not something I have, I guess a later addition. Tailgate lock looks the same as mine.

The sunvisors you have are later ones, they should be big without cut outs. The poppers are for curtains, at least they are on a westy anyway

1/ I think so - I had no idea what the light was for until I found I an old switch in the roof, and put 2 and 2 together. (The light doesn't work and haven't had time to investigate)

2/ Dunno - Could be - it has different key to rest of bus, but the interior colour of flap is the bus's original colour and it looks original. It has a locking fuel cap inside too so one is wrong! Bus first reg at DVLC in 12-3-68

3/ I'll keep a lookout for big sun flaps

Thanks

if when i get one i'm completely anal about it i'd like a May 68 as i want one exactly my age but i suppose realistically after august 68 up until 31 december makes more sense for parts....... so F reg and some G reg's are 68 then.

rickyrooo1 said:
if when i get one i'm completely anal about it i'd like a May 68 as i want one exactly my age but i suppose realistically after august 68 up until 31 december makes more sense for parts....... so F reg and some G reg's are 68 then.

F reg = Aug 67 to Aug 68
G reg = Aug 68 to Aug 69

anyone ever seen an E reg EB...?

probably asked a million times..... but here goes, what age is the build date of the earliest early then? built around june/july for release august 67?

Araon said:
Your mirror will be secured with two screws so not much chance it's a wrong un therefore the visors will need to be 68 s for the correct look

The 68 dash has a deeper brow over the instrument cluster

Back to the OP there's not a great deal to worry about until you get hooked and get really anal about shit.

Its black plastic so deffo not 68 only! Didn't know about the dash. Glad I need a new dash aswell then!

slow-lane-Matt said:

Wasn't aware of any dashboard differences - third dial blank, I suppose to fit a rev counter when they get around to inventing them.

Aspro aka Chris is all over this

.jpg

Check out the group buy thread if you fancy filling your blank

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slow-lane-Matt said:
rickyrooo1 said:

F reg = Aug 67 to Aug 68
G reg = Aug 68 to Aug 69

anyone ever seen an E reg EB...?

There are a few E reg kicking about, I know the speedmaster bus is on an E

rickyrooo1 said:
probably asked a million times..... but here goes, what age is the build date of the earliest early then? built around june/july for release august 67?

Early July I think, the m-plate decoder has a list with the earliest on that being the 12th of July.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

the 68 mirror is fixed by screws,later ones are twist in.sun visor is steped around mirror.

I think that the brake backing plates changed early in the 68 calendar year as did the rear drums.

As far as I can see only CSP make the rear drums, at £200 each!, for the early 68 buses and it's a nightmare getting the brake backing plates.

chad said:
I think that the brake backing plates changed early in the 68 calendar year as did the rear drums.

As far as I can see only CSP make the rear drums, at £200 each!, for the early 68 buses and it's a nightmare getting the brake backing plates.

According to 67panel a late split drum will fit if you machine down the splines. Could be a cheaper option, he can probably give more details of what exactly needs to be done to make it fit

its the rain lip that differant,get the wrong drum /backplate combo and it rubs(or wont turn!)splits have the same rain lip as 68/early69s but the splined section is deeper into the drum so get it turned down to the same as your old one and away you go.as for more 68 only bits ,fuse box,indicator relay,dash top and vents(smaller)and dont forget the door card clips,did some one say very early bays (first 2/3 months)have shorter handbrake cables,front shocks(lower pin)and the brake pipe layout.just thought as well wiring in dashslightly differant.

dave --------------still finding 68 bits.

Latest posts