'68 wiper arm broken!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a '68 bay, LHD.
One of the wiper arms broke in two in the middle on the way home. The other one seems to be VERY loose on the spindle. Are 68 wiper arms hard to come by? justkampers has some arms but they look different. Should I try welding the wiper arm back together? it broke just where the rivet goes through the arm
Any ideas how to take up the slack/wobble between the spindle and the hole in the wiper arm?

Thanks a lot!

David
Ireland

for items like that ignore jk (imo), contact people like Schofield, Cool air, VW heritage etc....
or if you want old stock i found fbi and volksheaven to be very helpful.

or even on hear int the parts wanted fella, theres some very helpful guys around :D :D

Thanks.

I think I have another problem too. The wiper arm broke because it was going off the side of the window with every rotation. It must have been the banging on the rubber seal that made it break.

Any ideas how to stop it going off the edge of the screen? Its the left side wiper.

Araon said:
for items like that ignore jk (imo), contact people like Schofield, Cool air, VW heritage etc....
or if you want old stock i found fbi and volksheaven to be very helpful.

or even on hear int the parts wanted fella, theres some very helpful guys around :D :D

megabug are also excellent, ive had stuff sent here to armagh (only up the road from you) and it arrived after ordering it the day before.

Good service and some hard to get bits. They probably have a good second hand set, they have alot of LHD stuff.

boatbuilder said:
Thanks.

I think I have another problem too. The wiper arm broke because it was going off the side of the window with every rotation. It must have been the banging on the rubber seal that made it break.

Any ideas how to stop it going off the edge of the screen? Its the left side wiper.

what lenght are the blades? i think they should be no more than 16", reseating the motor might help but its a bugger to get at.

Blades are 14 inches. I've removed the glove box tray and heater pipes to get at the mechanism under the dash but I don't see anything loose/wobbly in there. All the connections seem pretty tight. Doesn't seem to be any form of adjustment in there at all :shock:

I've phoned a few places and '68 blades are a "one year only" part. Not only that, but the entire motor/wiper linkage is a one year only part as well. And not only that, they're no longer available new.

i was told just the other day that the later motors and arms fit straight on .im sure someone on hear can claryfy that for you.

Ok thanks for all the help.
Turns out I've been having a stupid moment :oops:

The 10mm long grub screws holding the wiper blades on are loose, and because of the wear on the spindle and wiper arm socket, the grub screws aren't long enough to clamp it tightly enough, resulting in a sloppy wobbly wiper.

Solution: go to local agri. stores and buy two longer M5 x 16mm grub screws

Only problem now is trying to put my broken wiper arm back together. Not sure what metal it is made out of...aluminium/steel???? I'm gonna try to get it welded...will mig work?

Boat builder 1 of my 68 arms is welded and then ground flush so ya cant tell also watch out for the head sizes of the new bolt as it has to fit inside the spring have a look at it on the van and u will see what i mean :D

Gadget

there steel mig will work,or get it re riveted or hang on.........no sorry clem had some for sale but there sold

Brilliant news guys, thanks.

I'll get my brother to weld it tomorrow!

Gadget boy, I've bought some grub screws with an allen-key socket (with no head), so it won't get in the way of the spring. Proper grub screws also have the little conical tip on the end so they'll dig in and grip better than an ordinary bolt I reckon. Thanks for your help.

strongy said:
there steel mig will work,or get it re riveted or hang on.........no sorry clem had some for sale but there sold

Yes, I bought some nos ones recently. The trader had a second set, and Ive been racking my brains all day and cant think of who he is ...

Does most of the shows. One guy on his own. Does arial toppers and garlands, too. He was at EBI. Anyone got a clue??

trader was probably VWEmporium / will be at peppercorn /always has a lot of unusual bits, I'm certain he's from SW London

Thanks, I'll see if he has any.
I found another place that has them
http://www.customandcommercial.com/store/suppliermoreinfo.asp?view=2&pid=55143&Page=&Sort=&searchprod=211%20955%20499&id=2&vwnsid=pmfsmgpwlkc2lz9

£35 per wiper arm though :shock:

Harlequin said:
Found contact details
http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/
0208 4072106 07703 209663

Thats him! :)

They were very reasonable, btw.

Latest posts