Wiper arm assembly

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeinbath

Reaction score
I'm stumped.

I've had the wiper assembly apart (ie. the arms and spindles under the dash between the motor and the spindles) reassembled it now the wipers seem to park quite erratically. I was expecting this as I forgot to mark the position of the arm when it came off the motor so I was taking a punt on the position when I put it back together. The wipers parked themselves vertically so no problem, whip the arm of the motor and rotate it accordingly so that the wipers park where they should, try again and inexplicably I have the same problem.

So the arm has been rotated on the motor in accordance with where the motor stopped in it's park position, but the park position seems to have now 'moved'. Could it be an issue with the stop point of the motor or am I just doing something obviously stupid that I'm not spotting......

Any ideas?

I had a similar experience once and it turned out the plastic gear had slipped on the metal shaft inside the motor. It failed completely shortly after. Not that this is your problem, just a possibility.

Right I've had another play with it so let me redefine the question.

The wipers are adjusted so they pass through their sweep no problem, but when they park they do so constantly at the mid sweep point as per the picture, not at the bottom of the sweep motion/base of the screen.

So the question is what defines the park point in the motor and can this be adjusted?

Yes all split, cleaned greased and reassembled.
It's not just a case of rotating the arm on the spindle though as the sweep from top to bottom is correct......

The park is set internally in the motor. No adjustment. When it is parked, the linkage arm should be straight to the left of the vehicle (9 o'clock if you had x-ray vision and could see through the dash) When that is correct the wiper arms can be set.

vdubrevival said:
....the linkage arm should be straight to the left of the vehicle (9 o'clock if you had x-ray vision and could see through the dash)......

Would that be true of LHD and RHD or reversed accordingly? (mines the latter)

Latest posts