69 delta green westfalia restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leon

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
Hello everyone,

I'm going to introduce my bay to you all! I've had her 3 years now, and i've only just got round to getting her fit for an mot. The van itself was in excellent condition(body wise) when i got her, but she needed alot of work doing for mot, electrics, engine(lack of good one, have you ever seen an engine botched with filler before, I have!), brakes, etc. Money was tight, hence three years. I got an MOT just last week, and i'm getting her registered tomorrow.
Hope you like! I know i'm a very proud dad!
2008_0512van080013.jpg

2008_0512van080014.jpg

2008_0512van080009.jpg

hi leon

bus is looking fine :)..... i'm in stafford too (parkside).

There seems to be a growing population of eb's in " the ford" at the mo

ant

yeah ant, we meet once on the old focus car park, i'm just down the road from you.
Maybe we could hang out in macD's car park and rev our engines! :lol:

i remember! that was the day i change my mind about sellin my 68. :wink: ... your kind words helped.

remember driving past as your bus was be delivered years ago.

I always wondered what happened to it.

I'm currently doing a load of work on mine so if you wanna pop round for a chat i'm on bradshaw way just behind the staffordshire bull and normally found pottering around on the drive.

ant

Very well then, expect a visit!

Nice van that Leon , just love that colour green 8)

What plans you got for it , or you just gonna enjoy it now its on the road ?

I've got a devon moonraker interior to put in + some seat belts. it'll need a stereo. Then it's straight in at the deep end with a five week honey moon around west coast France, east and north coast Spain! I knew there was a good reason to get married! Bring it on!
No plans in the near future for a resto, as i love the original paint.

looks good 8) good luck with the registration process , just gone through it (still going through it at minute) got my 68 MOT'd last week , waited for the insurance covernote to arrive , was filled out wednesday but didnt get posted till friday and sent 2nd class , got this morning , went of to DVLA today with all paperwork , just got to wait 72 hours for reg number and tax disc , so wioth any luck i should be on road for weekend ready for viva skegvegas show , in skegness lincs 8) .

super-craig said:
looks good 8) good luck with the registration process , just gone through it (still going through it at minute) got my 68 MOT'd last week , waited for the insurance covernote to arrive , was filled out wednesday but didnt get posted till friday and sent 2nd class , got this morning , went of to DVLA today with all paperwork , just got to wait 72 hours for reg number and tax disc , so wioth any luck i should be on road for weekend ready for viva skegvegas show , in skegness lincs 8) .

Were they very helpful at the dvla? i'm still unsure about one or two things!
Fingers crossed they don't request a viewing of the chassis number! Did they tell you while you were there? Or is there still a chance you might have to?

Leon congrats on a hard looking bay mate :mrgreen:

Ok heres how to register a bus

1st) You need to get the bus up to mot standard .
So by swoping over the lights etc to Uk spec and making sure all the brakes etc are adjusted up . The chassis number on an early bay Pre 71 (71 onwards its on the raised lip on the LHS of the engine bay near the hatch seal) is located on the rhs of the engine bay near the base off the oil bath air cleaner this should be clean i.e no rust or old paint . I give this bit a good wire brushing to clean the shit off but if you have og paint then a good T cut helps . Also ther should be an ID plate located behind the passenger frt seat On a LHD bus The drivers on a RHD bus . This is stamped alloy and benefits from a good bit of brasso on it too.

The mot certificate is then granted on your chassis number (Because you dont have a Reg number and the DVLA need to say that it is that specific vehicle )

2nd) You MUST have insurance .
Herts insurance only grant two weeks on a chassis number But i think Flux grant 4 weeks so if you fail at the mot u dont have to panic too much .

you get YOUR bus insured on your chassis number . MAKE sure you have written/read the number properly as if you havnt your insurance will be VOID .

AGAIN this is done on the chassis number as you Dont yet have a reg number

3rd ) You will need a D.O.M certificate from Volkswagen Uk . Phone customer services and they will email one to you which you print off ,fill in, and return and they charge you £35 for the privalige . This then gives you and the DVLA an idea of when the bus was manufactured and therefore what year plate to issue .

4th) Do you have all the relevant documentation for your van .
I.e Do you have the customs reciept to say you,ve paid all duties etc And/Or if you didnt bring the bus in yourself do you have a reciept from the previous owner/importer to say that you actually own the vehicle .

5th) The DVLA

Now you can send the details off to the dvla with all the above paper work (FOR GOD SAKE TAKE COPYS AS THE DVLA HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LOSE STUFF) and you will get it back in a couple of weeks OR you can take it to your nearest DVLA office and push it over the counter .....DONT be scared the are Human and you,ll find are very helpfull too . YOU WILL?MAY need your passport as proof of Id ,You present all your paper work ( P.S take a mag to read cus of the queue ) over the counter they check through it and they give you back a couple of forms to fill in and then they send them of (At there postage expense NOT yours :wink: ) and within two to three days your documents come back with your new reg number and a tax disc too . You then have to get your plates made and Your done

Get In :mrgreen:

Gadget

Cheers for the advice gadget boy.
Maybe someone could get that sort of info on this site all the time, although everyone is really helpful when you ask a question!

My portfolio has now been submitted to the dvla, hopefully be on the road by the weekend!

leon said:
Maybe someone could get that sort of info on this site all the time, although everyone is really helpful when you ask a question!

My portfolio has now been submitted to the dvla, hopefully be on the road by the weekend!

looks like you will on the road before me then leon.... wish creative would hurry up with my beam!

good luck :)

ant said:
leon said:

looks like you will on the road before me then leon.... wish creative would hurry up with my beam!

good luck :)

No offence, but i hope so!(on the road that is.) I now just need to know where i can get some pressed number plates from, quick smart like.

You should threaten to cancel your order, can you get it anywhere else?

Latest posts