69 Oil Bath cable and clip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Space-Ratio

Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on how to attach the oil bath wire cable to the small clip that attaches to the oil bath butterfly valve arm as shown on page 45 of the owners instruction manual (Aug 68). Is there a small loop at the end of the wire? I am also not sure which way the cable is pulled or pushed, is it pulled or pushed when the fan air thermostat is open (hot). When cool it appears relaxed i.e pushed, opening the oil filter butterfly valve.
A close up photo would really help.
¬¬¬

I have had a good look at it and have worked a solution. To cut a long story short I had the engine reconditioned and returned last week so I thought I would check it over. Of course a few things were not fitted properly at their workshop.
Got underneath last night, removed tin under cylinder 1/2 to find air flow control thermostat wasn't connected to the rod. Fan shroud internal flaps in this instance are open and therefore cable to oil bath is pulled up opening the butterfly. So I connected the thermostat and this pushed the oil bath cable out to close butterfly. Although I am not sure how the wire is fitted to the clip but I have fitted it anyway, for completeness it would be nice to know how it is actually fitted...my van is totally original ('cept for a few period items fitted by the original owner) and I want to keep it the way the German engineers designed it.
That also means fitting the heat exchangers to their respective cables, refitting the engine bay surround rubbers correctly, refitting the steel fuel pipe bulkhead grommet and further along the pipe the bit of rubber to stop contact wear of the pipe against the fan shroud. Correctly fitting the accelerator cable (only 3/4 fully open!!!). Took it for a spin around the hills and it appears to all work, engine bay feels cooler now. Come the cold weather all these measures should in theory operate as the engineers intended.
¬¬¬

Hiya Mark,

This is not a very good picture but it is the only one I can access right now...............

IMG_1630.jpg

This is a Bug air cleaner set-up but the cable and clamp set-up on a Bus is exactly the same. Note the clamp holding the cable to the flap pivot shaft (just to the right of the spring portion of the cable). This clamp is exactly the same conformation as the clamp holding the accelerator pump arm to the linkage arm on a Solex carburetor. Different size though, IIRC.

Hi Mike
I don't have as much wire to have the coiled part. The clip is the same and I have fitted it that way round. Yours looks very neat. I have twisted the wire on the shaft and the clip goes over that. I see you have fitted some cycling brake cable, Japanese not German :) I have Italian Campagnolo as backup!
cheers for the pic
¬¬¬

Latest posts