69 Single

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvm

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Just picked up an early SC so thought I'd register on here, only to find I already had back in 2007! I'd totally forgotten
I was in the UK back then but now down under - in Brisbane.

Anyway, I've had an urge for a Single Cab for a while and finally did something about it, picking up this old girl yesterday.

She's had some work done, some good like the complete Gerson tray and some a bit patchy but its all solid so nothing I need to do for the moment.

The garage is looking pretty good now. The split is my old 66 that came with us from the UK and the Beetle is a 58 Aussie CKD.

Keith

Thanks guys.

Drove to work in style this morning and caught a glimpse of the reflection :D

So the 69 started to earn its keep with a trip to Bunnings at the weekend (Aus version of B&Q)

Looked in the mirror on the motorway to see police slowly cruising up behind, and then slower still as they passed us. The driver gave a thumbs up and off they went :D See, they're not all bad! ;)

Which ute looked the coolest loading up?

Love it. Seeing these pics makes me want one. Just another to add to the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the SC has been doing quite a good impersonation of the Exxon Valdez and depositing its oil all over the road, the engine bay, the rear bumper......
Obviously ashamed of its behaviour it also tries to hide in a plume of blue smoke out of the exhaust!! :roll:

With a few days off I decided to sort this out. I had already worked out the leak was from the oil cooler seals and obviously the smoke was due to worn piston rings, so out came the engine.

I hope I can remember where it all goes!

After taking off the heads, it was obvious the oil was getting past the No1 cylinder which had a broken oil scraper ring and signs of damage to the piston face and head. The damage isn't bad enough to worry about so I'll just replace the rings.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but for anyone who hasn't replaced rings before, this is how I do it - a slight variation to the method in John Muirs book. Use a cable tie to hold two feeler gauges in place. Hang the ring on the feeler gauges and use a second cable tie to pull it down until its expanded (you'll need to hold the top of the ring on the feeler gauges - I haven't below because I'm holding the camera) enough to slide it into position. Once there, slide out the feeler gauges and cable tie and the ring springs into the slot.

I had a reminder just how sharp carbon deposits can be whilst removing the old piston rings, slicing two fingers as I pried a ring off :roll:

Bus_zpsp6xec1iv.jpg

Very cool bus Keith, i'm very envious !! I'm in Bundberg just 4 hours north of you and bought myself a pig of a SC a few months back,it's a 1971 low light, its in a bad way but aiming to get it on the road, not planning on a nut and bolt job as money and time doesn't permit that plus i have other projects!

None the less always good to see other SC's escpecially ones not on the other side of the world (even though im a londoner! I'm running a VW social group called Bundy Volks, check us out on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bundybugs/ and if you send me your email addy i'll add you to the database as we do regular cruises/ club magazine etc and if you're ever in Bundy feel free to come along!, email is [email protected]

keep the pics coming!

Shane Chung

shaven said:
Nice SC Keith... any update plans? Or just drive it ;)

Hey Matty, no real updates planned, just tidy up a few things like getting it to ride a little better. The front beam has urethane bushes fitted so I'll fit needle bearings at some point, and I need to sort out a bottom end knock that's become evident now the compression is sorted

Today I finally got around to taking out the shitty 90's CD player but the dash was cut to fit it.
Any ideas on how to fit a period radio? It's all OG paint so I'm not wanting to weld in a new section.
I don't need a radio so another option could be the plastic blanking plates. Do they fit into or go over the hole?

7C62666F-863F-4E9C-833D-526596C33965_zpsnrywv00t.jpg

Latest posts