'70 LHD ex Westy US Bay now running Hydraulics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audix said:
IMG_3564.jpg

Its strange looking into rust and bare metal and seeing you face tehe.

quote]

Hi,

Looks really good with the lacquer. Is there a reason why you used boat clear lacquer instead of normal stuff? Really love your bus, great work, lovely photos too!

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
audix said:
IMG_3564.jpg

Its strange looking into rust and bare metal and seeing you face tehe.

quote]

Hi,

Looks really good with the lacquer. Is there a reason why you used boat clear lacquer instead of normal stuff? Really love your bus, great work, lovely photos too!

Cheers,

Alistair

We just had 8 liters left over from a job and the awlgrip rep wanted to see if it would attach its self to the dreadful surface of the bus.

It's glued all the cracked filler together.

Cheers

We just had 8 liters left over from a job and the awlgrip rep wanted to see if it would attach its self to the dreadful surface of the bus.

It's glued all the cracked filler together.

Cheers

It looks like a good job done with that stuff, interesting what else you can do with this, i guess normally its a marine only application. Do you know the cost difference to normal stuff? I guess anything marine has it's own "scene tax" applied to it!

Look forward to more pictures!

Cheers!

Alistair

I'll find a price. The clear coat is not too much dolla but its the reducer and thinners and actervator that costs the money. It's hull product so is hard as nails.

audix said:
I'll find a price. The clear coat is not too much dolla but its the reducer and thinners and actervator that costs the money. It's hull product so is hard as nails.

Sounds like it's ideal for a patina'd bus, half tempted to paint my bus with this, hard as nail nails you say? Hmmm.... :) I think this may have some uses for refurbing my fibreglass westy roof do you think?

Cheers!

Alistair

Its hard wearing. I don't know how it would deal with flexing. Talking to my mate its around £250 a litre with Standard Converter and standard Reducer for Spray.

Ill take a picture of a damaged area where it has glued all the crap together.

My mate has just finished spraying a pearl colour on this wooden 1/4 tonner. Its got a pearl in the topcoat lacquer.

734456_508613549191636_771874008_n.jpg

Will

audix said:
Its hard wearing. I don't know how it would deal with flexing. Talking to my mate its around £250 a litre with Standard Converter and standard Reducer for Spray.

Ill take a picture of a damaged area where it has glued all the crap together.

My mate has just finished spraying a pearl colour on this wooden 1/4 tonner. Its got a pearl in the topcoat lacquer.

734456_508613549191636_771874008_n.jpg

Will

£250 a litre?! :shock: It does sound good, but quite a bit more than i thought it may have been, still, the boat looks nice. Lucky you have 8 litres kicking about! :lol:

Wonder how many litres for a boat......a lot!

Cheers!

Alistair

Once again i have neglected this build post. These pictures were taken early this year. Looks like i will be busy bringing this up to date.

It had a fair bit of use this summer. We were out every day.

Another job i completed was to sandblast the engine bay and repaint it.

IMG_3894.jpg

First job was to get the engine out and start stripping it down.

IMG_3898.jpg

We gave the bay a good clean the paint was in really good condition bar the normal battery trays.

IMG_3913.jpg

I opened the fuel tank area to give it a check over and it was MINT to say the least! I dont think this had been opened for 43 years!

IMG_3922.jpg

Offered up the new tray.

IMG_3929.jpg

Got the sandblaster going and cleaned all the old tinware up

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

I didn't get any of the shots while blasting the bay. But it got a coat of primer and high build, then 2 coats of top coat.

IMG_3996.jpg

Finally the engine coming back together. With its brand new 70amp alternator. :)

Thanks for looking.

Will

Hi!

Real nice to see updates on this, you left it too long! ;)

Engine bay area looks very nice, and the colour coded engine looks sweet as.

What are your plans, is it a daily? Or tucked away till next season? :msn4:

Look forward to seeing more pics - I love your bus!

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Cheers,

Alistair

You are right. Just going though all my pictures.

I have just taken the engine out again due to an oil leak. I am changing some of the tinware so it will look even better. The colour is RAL 1013 its quite close to the original colour. I wish I had of researched the original colour when we started, or I would of painted it that but hey hoo.

Plans are to use it till it dies and then fix it again. I used to use it everyday. Quite lucky I don't have to drive to work but when its running we go out most nights. The aim currently is to get it up to spec for Elemental VW 2014

Thanks buddy!!! Just been though yours and its lush. Love that original colour. Its the same as mine was :)

Once all the engine was back in. I took this while i was sorting the wiring loom out

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

Put the us style plate on to give our local police an excuse to pull me :)

IMG_4147.jpg

Next job was to get the tracking sorted out.

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

I had the life support machine plugged in to try and sort this old carb out. Bastard thing. Worst problem was in 36 hours we are ment to be in Holland on holiday!

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

audix said:
aogrady said:
Hi!

Cheers,

Alistair

I have just taken the engine out again due to an oil leak. I am changing some of the tinware so it will look even better. The colour is RAL 1013 its quite close to the original colour. I wish I had of researched the original colour when we started, or I would of painted it that but hey hoo.

Plans are to use it till it dies and then fix it again. I used to use it everyday. Quite lucky I don't have to drive to work but when its running we go out most nights. The aim currently is to get it up to spec for Elemental VW 2014

Thanks buddy!!! Just been though yours and its lush. Love that original colour. Its the same as mine was :)

Looks great, is the RAL1013 a normal colour, or did you use Rustoleum or suchlike, I know that's availaable in RAL colours...

Nice that it's pretty much a daily, die, fix, camp, repeat (Fatboy Slim, you can have that...)

Thanks for the comments on mine, love yours though, swapsies? :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
audix said:
aogrady said:
Hi!

Cheers,

Alistair

Looks great, is the RAL1013 a normal colour, or did you use Rustoleum or suchlike, I know that's availaable in RAL colours...

Nice that it's pretty much a daily, die, fix, camp, repeat (Fatboy Slim, you can have that...)

Thanks for the comments on mine, love yours though, swapsies? :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

I just went into our local paint suppliers and asked for their chart and picked it... I have had some bits powercoated and they can offer RAL colours.

One day I would like a OG clean bus haha for some reason I like painting things with waxoyl haha..

With regards to our holiday in Holland

IMG_4242.jpg

IT MADE IT!

IMG_4252.jpg

We took at trip from the Hook down into Breda and further south into a small town called Zundert. We have a good friend who lives there so we stayed the night with them.

The next day we headed north and took the bus to Amsterdam. I had read about this camp site in a forest with in 15 minuets from the city centre. vliegenbos amsterdam It was awesome only cost 29 euros for both of us and had an electric point for our small heater. After 3 days in Amsterdam we took a drive to kieft en klok WHAT A PLACE. Its mad full of some really nice looking dubs, and old americana gear.

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

After this we had a kip in the forest near by and then headed home to the Hook to catch the night boat. The bus didn't have one single problem it was a dream to drive.

Just sorting the pictures for the next post.

Still updating this cos its so far behind.

Cleaned the hubs up and sorted it out ready for Edition38 last September.

IMG_4550.jpg

Kylie ( the Mrs ) really wanted to get painting so i left that to her :lol:

IMG_4549.jpg

The old shite before

IMG_4553.jpg

Got the wheels nice and clean with a splash of Bold non bio

IMG_4556.jpg

And this is how it looked exactly 1 year to the day

IMG_4564.jpg

And this is how it looks now. What a difference a year makes.

IMG_4558.jpg

Next project was to figure out how to get some nice dry heat into the bus for camping and demisting the windscreen. A couple of my mates who have boats install Eberspachers derv heaters. After a couple of days trolling round ebay and the such, i found this gem.

IMG_4639.jpg

24volt 2.2kw of heat and uses 210ml of diesel per hour on full chat. In order to run this in the bus I needed to change 12Volts to 24Volts but at 11amps after looking at making an oscillating circuit in order to up the voltage via transformer I came across a switch mode 12v to 24v @ 15amps box on ebay for only £54 delivered. It weighs absolutely nothing and runs on 10v to 15v regardless. After taking about a month to arrive from China :roll: i plugged the lot in and gave it a test. WHAT A BIT OF KIT.

Drilled a couple of holes and test mounted it inside the cab.

IMG_4791.jpg

I found a 3lt go kart fuel tank on ebay for £15 and had some pipe laying round. In all this cost me about £300 including the heater, pump, tank, voltage converter, and hose clips. Working out how much it will cost to run and the easiness of obtaining fuel compared to a Propex unit is remarkable.

It you run it on red derv at 89p a lt it costs 18p per hour on full bore (2.2kw) compared to a Propex unit which i worked out at 55p per hour and the hassle of trying to get a gas tank when travelling.

The next job was to cut the belly pans off and see what the floor looked like.

IMG_4977.jpg

Not too bad for 43 years old. I will be blasting this and repainting before the summer.

Next job was engine out to fix the nasty oil leak :(

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

Turned out to be a lose oil cooler. So i started stripping the complete lot down ready for a good clean and new tin bits.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

While the engine was out i took my time and installed Dynamat to the engine roof. This should make it a lot nicer on long trips :)

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

Another sunday project was to make a fire for shows in the summer. Ive got loads of old propane tanks laying around so i thought i would cut one up. I won't bore you but here is the nearly finished project

IMG_5035.jpg

Latest posts