'70 sunroof deluxe - WORK IN PROGRESS

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mIKe cAIn

Reaction score
ive been a member on here before but lost all my login info etc.

heres my bus anyway

100_0634.jpg

100_0637.jpg

the release bearing kicked at santa pod so on a lowloader it went :(

finallyarived.jpg

25042007216.jpg

100_0635.jpg

its been in the wars over the past year, firstly someone hit the front panel and drove off while it was parked and i reverced it into a tree stump twice so i started poking anad what was a front clip and a rear quarter has turned into a bit more, not to worry, its all solid now and just in the final prep stages and shoud be ready for paint soon :)

more pics of the work

seat belt points gone - cut out

Image965.jpg

Image967.jpg

dropped the van - oopss (lucky no damage. damn shit stands)

Image963.jpg

lick of paint when patched up

Image969.jpg

front panel bashed in :(

Image700.jpg

lower section cut off

Image720.jpg

lower panel offered up

Image719.jpg

bit ay grinding

Image721.jpg

final bits of filler

Image928.jpg

finished panel

Image943-1.jpg

just discovered this tonight after removing window

02062008180.jpg

i was going to patch it but decided just to get a panel from schofields which i collected. i cut the panel away to fit and offered up the new section and it's not right, seems that this new panel has a 45deg press rather than a 90deg and the door wouldnt close so looks like it needs to be cut, and hammered into shape, so more messing about and welding :( i was going to finish it but went to deva in the bug instead :D

11062008250.jpg

thats outta the way now onto the rest of it

just scored a unit with space for 30+ cars fully equiped workshop for cheap :mrgreen:

Now i have the van in a workshop/unit/'the cave' which i found in the local paper, it was a mot repair place but its become vacant and i've moved in for a month!

Its not a bad place, the van just about got in there as its down a narrow alley way. The 'cave' is full of tools, everything i could posibly need so saves me from taking all mine down there, theres a huge compressor and a car lift, so a great find all in all.

Got the van i there on saturday afternoon and started to stip it, everything is off the van and labelled up and out of the way. the motor is out and gearbox, all engine bay electrics, dash is out, seats, all trim inside and out so its ready to rub down.

This is the first time i've ever done a sort of mini resto on a car so its all new to me, paint should be interesting. im going to do it in the same comercial blue as i have the paint already. heres some pics

the workshop
14062008252.jpg

big compressor
14062008253.jpg

just got the van in
14062008255.jpg

strip down
15062008258.jpg

16062008267.jpg

17062008270.jpg

17062008271.jpg

So ready to start rubbing back now, oh waht fun :twisted:

any advice on how to go about rubbing back, primer, paint would be good. I have 8 litres of comercial blue celly and 5 litres of grey celly primer and a gravity feed gun. also heve 2 lots of thinners! standard and anti-bloom whats the difference? do they go off diferently?

got a bit more done today, decided to attack the sunroof, well the drains anyway as they were blocked. ive tried 4 times previously to do this in 3 years using all the wire coat hanges up in the house! in the end i saw some old copper brake line hanging up so i cut a length and proceeded to prod away at leisure, then i got the drill out and raised the van on the lifter so i could have enough room to put the drill on and have enough copper line to get to the top of the drain, this worked a treat! then when they were clear i blew them out with the compressor and lined the existing drains with flexi hose i found lying about, snug fit too.

when i got to the drivers b pillar the existing drain crumbled and rank stale water came out... not good! in the end i managed to get the drain at the top (bit where it bends to go into the pillar) off with a drill and fed the flex hose down the van behind where the panel cover goes, drilled the b pillar from the inside and fed the flexi down to the bottom of the drain. works a treat, some pics (sorry about the quailty)

21062008285.jpg

21062008286-1.jpg

21062008287.jpg

21062008288.jpg

glad thats over with :wink:

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of the other side of this area. Looking from the sunroof hole into the drain close enough to have some detail to it?

21062008288.jpg

I have a '70 bay that was once a popup but the fiberglass part is rotted out and the PO started to make it a sunroof but didn't know about the drains. Mine, not being a sunroof to begin with doesn't have the fittings to connect the hoses onto. If I could get an idea what they looked like I might be able to make some.

Thanks

sure, can do that :) its basically a big gutter all around the sunroof opening with pipes that come off it for drainage. pics will show things better tha my crap description!

Latest posts