The Turd, 1969 sunroof van refresh, finished and driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aogrady said:
Hi

Stunning bus, amazing attention to detail, look forward to seeing more pictures.

Very jealous indeed :mrgreen:

Keep up the great work

Alistair

Thx bud, I'll keep them coming as I get more done. Getting close though!!

Polished the nose and the drivers side up to the back corner. Starting on the back this morning.

IMG_0601_zpsbb813a90.jpg

squareweave said:
Lordain Volley said:
Superb work. Very nice to see such an original looking bus. The panels look new, stunning looking.

I have a question; your bus, (If i can remember the thread correctly), did not have rear seat jail bars. How did you manage to add ones as there will have been no metal brackets to attach the bars? Did you weld in brackets or did you get a different upright seat that can accommodate jail bars? :roll:

Also... where on earth did you manage to get the plastic ends for the jail bars? Are they aftermarket by any chance?

A wonderful original bus. Keep the pictures coming.

LV

Thanks for the kind words. I like original parts so I was lucky enough to buy a very complete (but rusty) original Clipper van. So what I did was used the cover, padding and springs from my vans original seat and use the frame from the clipper seat , that I also got the jail bars from. I have grown to dislike repro crap parts as I have gotten a bit older and would rather restore original over the using garbage. To me its all in the details. I was quite lucky that my original seat was in storage in the garage its whole life making the vinyl soft and easy to remove without breaking anything. As far as the end caps go, they are NOS.

Hi,
Thanks for letting me know. I think we're both going down the same path. I too have an original microbus with all original interior, but it was too worse for ware. It's a personal thing, but for me the original interior was beyond the "clean up" stage - ripped headliner and seats, although the panels were not too bad. I have invested in a full interior replacement including some NOS parts. These included bulb holders, seat pads jail bars and many more... I'll start a thread towards the end of the summer. But here are a few NOS items I think you'll like!

I think the belts are my original ones, I washed them in hot soapy water and they look as new as the day she left the factory. You attention to detail is extraordinary, very well done. It's certainly a labour of love. :D .Keep up the superb work, you have a stunning looking original bus. Its a rare delight. :D

LV

Lordain Volley said:
squareweave said:
Lordain Volley said:
Superb work. Very nice to see such an original looking bus. The panels look new, stunning looking.

I have a question; your bus, (If i can remember the thread correctly), did not have rear seat jail bars. How did you manage to add ones as there will have been no metal brackets to attach the bars? Did you weld in brackets or did you get a different upright seat that can accommodate jail bars? :roll:

Also... where on earth did you manage to get the plastic ends for the jail bars? Are they aftermarket by any chance?

A wonderful original bus. Keep the pictures coming.

LV

Thanks for the kind words. I like original parts so I was lucky enough to buy a very complete (but rusty) original Clipper van. So what I did was used the cover, padding and springs from my vans original seat and use the frame from the clipper seat , that I also got the jail bars from. I have grown to dislike repro crap parts as I have gotten a bit older and would rather restore original over the using garbage. To me its all in the details. I was quite lucky that my original seat was in storage in the garage its whole life making the vinyl soft and easy to remove without breaking anything. As far as the end caps go, they are NOS.

Hi,
Thanks for letting me know. I think we're both going down the same path. I too have an original microbus with all original interior, but it was too worse for ware. It's a personal thing, but for me the original interior was beyond the "clean up" stage - ripped headliner and seats, although the panels were not too bad. I have invested in a full interior replacement including some NOS parts. These included bulb holders, seat pads jail bars and many more... I'll start a thread towards the end of the summer. But here are a few NOS items I think you'll like!

I think the belts are my original ones, I washed them in hot soapy water and they look as new as the day she left the factory. You attention to detail is extraordinary, very well done. It's certainly a labour of love. :D .Keep up the superb work, you have a stunning looking original bus. Its a rare delight. :D

LV

Some nice bits you have there. :D It's such a treat to fit NOS parts as there is no struggle compared to some repro stuff.

Finished polishing the beige paint and started to install the reflectors lights etc.

Now onto the roof, I wet sanded it with 2000 grit last night and going to buff it this morning.

Sure was dirty!!! (mid wet sand)

This is how much crap was coming off the white paint

The van is all polished up and now back up on jacks to level out the rear. New sunroof seal installed, reap bumper in on front trim is on so its getting there. Hopefully going for a wheel alignment Sunday so i'll keep you posted. A few pics

Roof

as of last night

Quick update, finished up the van and insured on the weekend. Took it out for a quick few test drives and nothing major came up. Set the carb and timing today and treated it with a full tank of gas (last thing electrical to test was the gauge) and gauge worked as it should. So I brought it in for an alignment to a good friends shop" Dales Alignment" and Jason used modern technology on 60's technology and dialed in the van perfect. He was able to achieve a mirror image for the front and rear. Their shop does top shelf work and the van now tracks beautiful. Here is a couple of pics I took with my phone.

Not bad shine for 44 year old paint ;)

After the job was done sitting in the parking lot:

mattyd72 said:
Awesome.

Is it for sale :grin:

Sent from my VS TOUCHTAB 10.1DC using Tapatalk 2

Ha, I sold Big Red and regretted it. I just had nowhere to store it with the tall roof. They are going to bury me in this one.

Now onto the roof, I wet sanded it with 2000 grit last night and going to buff it this morning.

Did you wet sand the entire bus or just the roof? Great bus simply amazing

/Henrik

Latest posts