The Turd, 1969 sunroof van refresh, finished and driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the comments guys. Our weather hasn't been that great here but I have been taking it out for some local driving (300 miles so far) and all is going well. The bias ply tires are great to drive on contrary to what so many people wanted me to believe. I have some jobs to do around the house in the next few months and then I will get going on my 72 sunroof which is getting a full slam job for a fresh change.

WOW! 8)

Just a question as its so original, is the brown piece on the sliding door above the panel vinyl?

P.s 2questions, what did you use to remove the oxidisation & the under seal?

I've not looked at this thread before, and now I'm sitting here completely blown away by what I've just seen... This bus is epic! I'd go so far as to say its amongst the best on the planet in terms of originality and condition...

It's truly beautiful..

BenSSP said:
WOW! 8)

Just a question as its so original, is the brown piece on the sliding door above the panel vinyl?

P.s 2questions, what did you use to remove the oxidisation & the under seal?

Yes, the brown piece is vinyl and is original to the bus. It is the only deluxe bus that I have owned with vinyl on. But it is also the earliest bay that I have owned. My 70, 71, and 72 never came with that covered. As far as Oxidization on the exterior paint goes, I used 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded the whole van down, I then used two different cutting compounds by machine, then hand rubbed the whole bus with Mothers Gold brand Aluminum wheel polish (no this is not a joke), then rubbed the whole van down with T-cut that a friend brought back from "Bloody England" ;) (which I need more of!!) and then finally used a good quality Carnuba wax. I did this over a one to two week period and all joking aside I ended up with a bit of tendonitis in my right forearm for a week or so from all of the polishing and rubbing off of the cleaners etc (ya, ya let the wanking jokes begin :lol: )

As far as the underseal goes, this van was not undersealed per say , it was coated in Comoline. It is the same stuff that coats NOS cranks and cams etc when VW used to send them out. It is a think waxy substance that goes on like honey and dries up slowly but eventually. But if you are trying to get off old black tar like underseal the trick is freezing it. I was shown this from a friend of mine and works well. I use aerosol cans of "air duster" that you use to blow out your computer keyboard with. If you shake up the can and turn it upside down the co2 comes out super cold and when sprayed on the underseal it shrinks it off of the metal and you can take it off with a plastic scraper. Hop over to my thread with my new Sierra Yellow bus and you can see a spot I tested in the front drivers inner fender. I personally would like to get a big co2 bottle and a nozzle of some sort as I think that would be a bit faster, but all in all the aerosol air duster spray cans work well.

Shorty said:
I've not looked at this thread before, and now I'm sitting here completely blown away by what I've just seen... This bus is epic! I'd go so far as to say its amongst the best on the planet in terms of originality and condition...

It's truly beautiful..

Thanks for the kind words my friend, I have been keeping a close eye on your Kombi thread. I would love to have a nice original paint Kombi like yours. Go with the 15" steelies and VW L345 coloured grey hub caps.

Could be a cool wheel combo... I'll be the first to admit my knowledge is limited, but weren't the grey hubcaps only used on the commercial vehicles? Pick-ups, vans and the like?

I like the idea though... (Goes straight to the bus builder app to take a look!)

Shorty said:
Could be a cool wheel combo... I'll be the first to admit my knowledge is limited, but weren't the grey hubcaps only used on the commercial vehicles? Pick-ups, vans and the like?

I like the idea though... (Goes straight to the bus builder app to take a look!)

Here you go:

cover.jpg

Did I just say that this is just awesome? love it. I'd fly to the other side of the world just to have a drive in it.. :)

roland said:
Did I just say that this is just awesome? love it. I'd fly to the other side of the world just to have a drive in it.. :)

When are you coming?....................I say next summer (late May), fly in and we will roll to Sacramento for the Bugorama (15 hours away though) or come in August for the Great Canadian VW show here in Vancouver

squareweave said:
Yes, the brown piece is vinyl and is original to the bus. It is the only deluxe bus that I have owned with vinyl on. But it is also the earliest bay that I have owned. My 70, 71, and 72 never came with that covered. As far as Oxidization on the exterior paint goes, I used 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded the whole van down, I then used two different cutting compounds by machine, then hand rubbed the whole bus with Mothers Gold brand Aluminum wheel polish (no this is not a joke), then rubbed the whole van down with T-cut that a friend brought back from "Bloody England" ;) (which I need more of!!) and then finally used a good quality Carnuba wax. I did this over a one to two week period and all joking aside I ended up with a bit of tendonitis in my right forearm for a week or so from all of the polishing and rubbing off of the cleaners etc (ya, ya let the wanking jokes begin :lol: )

As far as the underseal goes, this van was not undersealed per say , it was coated in Comoline. It is the same stuff that coats NOS cranks and cams etc when VW used to send them out. It is a think waxy substance that goes on like honey and dries up slowly but eventually. But if you are trying to get off old black tar like underseal the trick is freezing it. I was shown this from a friend of mine and works well. I use aerosol cans of "air duster" that you use to blow out your computer keyboard with. If you shake up the can and turn it upside down the co2 comes out super cold and when sprayed on the underseal it shrinks it off of the metal and you can take it off with a plastic scraper. Hop over to my thread with my new Sierra Yellow bus and you can see a spot I tested in the front drivers inner fender. I personally would like to get a big co2 bottle and a nozzle of some sort as I think that would be a bit faster, but all in all the aerosol air duster spray cans work well.

Thanks, that's a dedicated level of paint revival! :D

What a find, absolutely gorgeous bus, gotta be a keeper, you wont find another that nice in a hurry.

Latest posts