The Turd, 1969 sunroof van refresh, finished and driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
I just thought I would share a few of pics of my latest find. It is an all OG (paint and interior) 1969 sunroof van. It has been sitting in a metal quonset hut for the past 20+ years. I bought it from the estate of the original owner. I saw it listed on the internet and thankfully my American neighbours were all watching Super Bowl and I ended up being the first email of 20+ emails that the son of the original owner received within the first day alone. It was located in Washington state only just over an hour from my house. I went down to look at it/pick it up with a friend. The front door of the shed was to small to get the trailer through so I had to drive through a marshy Christmas tree farm to hook it up. I got stuck backing the truck up to hook it up to the trailer. Had to put it in 4x4 and finally got it out. Once I had the bus on the tow dolly I had to drive back through the Christmas tree farm slowly without stopping because I surely would have been stuck . The truck was spinning the whole way. But there was no way I was leaving without this van in my possession.

Back to the van itself. The original owner (a machinist) took out the back seat when new and replaced it with a set of drawers and a 12 volt fridge. Fortunately he stored the rear seat in his garage all of these years and it is in like new shape and I got it with the van. The cabinets were held in using stock rear seat and seat belt mounting points so no extra holes.The van is a rust free as they come. The sunroof and all doors open and unlock like new. All brown mats are there and in beautiful shape. the rear decklid is original to the van but has has a respray because of a minor dent. I am not sure if I will strip the respray or have a new decklid painted. Its not much of a patina bus as the paint is still very strong ;) on it. Anyways enough jabbering here are a few pics if you are interested?

Here is the house in the hills where its been hiding for years.
P1010049.jpg

P1010048.jpg

And the quonset hut where it was located in
P1010041-1.jpg

The van in its hiding spot
P1010043.jpg

P1010042.jpg

The hook up
P1010052.jpg

P1010053.jpg

The og owners son and my friend Jordi after we struggled to get it up on the dolly after sitting that long
P1010054.jpg

Out on the gravel road............success!
P1010061.jpg

Just checking the tow straps to make sure everything was tight
P1010059.jpg

Ready to roll
P1010058.jpg

P1010062.jpg

The bus had to sit and wait for export from US customs so I finally got it home after it was stored in a secret storage spot :roll: in the US untill this past Wednesday.

Coming through Canada customs
P1010040.jpg

Now at home, I removed all of the cabinets and installed the seats. The only thing that was missing was the three black armrests but fortunately I have a mint set to go in. So here it is, not cleaned up aside from a quick wash so excuse the mess and the dirt.
P1010042-1.jpg

P1010049-1.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010043-1.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058-1.jpg

P1010059-1.jpg

P1010048-1.jpg

P1010052-1.jpg

P1010053-1.jpg

P1010054-1.jpg

The og chrome symbol came with the van too
P1010056.jpg

With the help of my friend Geoff we got it running within 5 minutes, so I had to take it around the block using the emergency brake. Here it is after its maiden voyage :lol:
P1010061-1.jpg

WOW :shock: ....wonderful bus you got there. Now I know how mine is suppost to look :? ...without the sunroof tho....

Do you have more plans for the bus?

Yes, I think I will spray paint it flat black and tint the windows red for a hot rod look. I might dye the interior bright red too with a mexican blanket headliner :?:

Wow! Beautiful bus, and in amazing shape. I really hope you are joking about spraying it black etc!!!! Nooooooo!!!!!!! It is a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke!

squareweave said:
Yes, I think I will spray paint it flat black and tint the windows red for a hot rod look. I might dye the interior bright red too with a mexican blanket headliner :?:

lol! Another nice find! You have a radar or something? anyway, well done!

Fab bus! 8)

That brown/cream interior colour scheme is my favourite, and how fortunate to have the original and immaculate seats for the rear.
I do love a stock microbus/deluxe. :D

OLIVE-BAY said:
squareweave said:

:shock: :shock: really :?:

No............... :lol: plans are to roll this all stock. I would love to slam it on early Fuchs but I just don't have the heart to notch the frame and cut the rear bump stops off this van. So stock it is with white walls, a epic detail and mechanical restoration.

roland said:
squareweave said:

lol! Another nice find! You have a radar or something? anyway, well done!

Roland, thanks for the comment!. Not radar just an obsession for the hunt of finding that jem of a baywindow. Now it is time to thin the fleet of beetles and a couple of the vans too :oops: :? Thank god for a an understanding wife. Luckily I have a friend that has a storage facility that is so good to me letting me put some cars in there. I really want a slammed early bay kombi (like yours) or single or double cab for VW swap meets.

squareweave said:
OLIVE-BAY said:
squareweave said:

:shock: :shock: really :?:

No............... :lol: plans are to roll this all stock. I would love to slam it on early Fuchs but I just don't have the heart to notch the frame and cut the rear bump stops off this van. So stock it is with white walls, a epic detail and mechanical restoration.

phew ..... :lol: I was more than a little worried there :lol: its one sexy van, dont slam it thats sooo yesterday 8)

My M code, not a whole lot of options except a hole in the roof. The original owner picked this van up in Germany (I have German dealership stamps in the original service book) but it shows San Antonio as the delivery destination.

mcode_draw_mplate.php

Not a great update as I can't say I have done a whole lot to the van . I have been busy getting my 65 beetle out of the garage. Sadly its going up for sale. To many vehicles :oops: and its first of a few to go. I removed the bumper guards (anybody looking for a set?) and the spare. I also polished a spot on the drivers side and its going to be shiny :D . I hope to dig into it within the next week as its killing me to not be able to work on it.

P1010053-2.jpg

I would love to find a gem like that tucked away in a barn somewhere. Love it, I'm not usually the jealous type but that's perfect just as it is 8) .

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow what a great find

squareweave said:

love to hear that ;)

this find is incredible.... :shock: you'r a luck guy...

It miss me a savanah deluxe :lol:

Latest posts