70 westy hardtop hookup andjourney home

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
Part 1 THE HUNT!!!!

I posted a few pictures of my van in the gallery section and mentioned that I would tell you my short story about the journey home in my first early bay (I have owned a whack of splits, type 3's and beetles). To start this off I live in Vancouver, Canada and bought my van in San Jose California, approx. 1000 miles away.

So here it goes!!! I had been looking for a westy hardtop casually for a while (nothing to serious) when I came across an add in January on thesamba.com for a 70 westy hardtop in San Jose. There were a few pictures of the bus and it appeared to very original. I emailed the owner with no response, I emailed him probably 7-8 times with no response. So I gave up and thought it had sold but this bus really had me interested in and early baywindow now so I followed a few other leads. I had found another van, a 69 weekender in Portland, Oregon that seemed solid with original paint (og paint was a must for me). Tried to work out a deal with the owner but he backed out of selling it and told me that if he did want to sell it again he would let me know. A few more weeks went by and I was on vacation in the carribean and I checked my email and the dude from Portland sends me a message stating he will sell the bus now. So I devulge my plan to my wife and went on the samba.com to show here pictures of the 69 weekender but as I went to find the pictures of the 69 I see the 70 westy hardtop add had been updated. So I emailed the owner of the 70 westy and he finally replied. I asked him for his phone # so I could call him and kept checking back on my email. Again no response from the guy. I was checking my email every few hours. I never got a response back at all. I was pissed but figured oh well this guy seems kind of sketchy to deal with anyways. I got home and did a bit more surfing and found the 70 westy on the craigslist in San Francisco and the add had the phone #. So I called and got a hold of the owner, had a chat with him and told him I would buy the van. He was busy with familly that night and told me to call back the next afternoon and we would figure out the deal. So I called back the day and what do you think, No answer of course. In the following week and a half I must have called long distance more than 40 times (no BS) sometimes leaving a message and sometimes not, never getting and answer. I was also emailed the guy once a day if not more. Actually to the point that I felt stupid to have to try this hard to buy something from somebody. Again I gave up. Another week went by and I was at home on a thursday night and I said to my wife I am going to try him one more time(something kept pulling me back to the 70 westy). Voila his wife answers the phone and passes it on to him. Again I said that I wanted to buy the van and would fly down and pay him cash. He thinks that I am mad as all he does is drive the van around town and here I am going to take this thing on a 1000 mile journey. He wasn't a VW guy nevermind a car guy. I think he thought that I was a drug smokin hippy. He agreed to the deal and I decided to fly down the following Sunday, 3 days later with my wife. So we flew to San Francisco rented a car and drove south to San Jose with tools and pocket of cash.

Part 2 THE JOURNEY

to follow

"Do you know the way to San Jose ... la la la la la laaaa"

Excellent! Determination is the key. Hope the trip was cool ..... lets have it! :)

Excellent. EarlyBays' first serial drama.

These shows from across the pond always leave a twist at the end to keep you hanging on to the next episode......... I hope we don't have to wait a week until part two..........

:mrgreen:

Now Im at home and have propa 'net access .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsUuZMpXHk

8)

faux said:
How many emails and phone calls do we need to make to get the next part? :roll:

Lots by the look of things, come on, we all like a happy ending.

(Clem -Is there anything that can't be found on You Tube?)

Yes I still owe everybody part two, I spent 1 1/2 hours typing out my story Sunday night, got called out to the fire hall and came home tired and killed the page by accident instead of leaving the computer on and finishing in the morning. :oops: But trust me I will have it to you by the weekend.

Latest posts