71 bay lowering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done to death, I've read about 8 million lowering articles and looked at every available option but I'm just confusing myself.

Mine's a 71 bay so do I need specific dropped spindles for my calipers? and the spring plates seem to cross over the 71 period so not sure which would fit?

I only want to go down a couple of inches all round so I don't feel like I'm flopping about in mid air whilst driving.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Just fit adjusters on your front axle and turn the rear one spline.

madman said:
... and you get almost 3" drop on stock 14" rims all around like this ...

vwcanuck said:
madman said:
... and you get almost 3" drop on stock 14" rims all around like this ...

How does it ride? Do you need shorter shocks? I might have to go that route!

Lowering is so 2015!, High riders are the new cool!

Plus not having to jack up the van for 95% of work underneath is good!

georgeyv said:
It rides rougher over the big bumps than a modern car so I avoid the roads that are too rough. Shorter shocks are needed. Once I lowered the bus, I measured the shock length/travel from normal driving weight, the bus with wheels on the ground, up to the maximum possible extension of the suspension, with the bus jacked up and wheels off the ground, then went with those numbers to buy shocks that worked well within that range. Shocks that are too long won't cushion the bumps properly. Shocks that are too short could tear themselves apart after going (unlikely but depends on where & how you drive, (ie. off-road would be more of a factor). Keep the front upper bump stops in otherwise you'll hear lots of metal banging on metal over those big bumps.

The good thing is with adjusters and a spline in the rear ... you can always set them back to stock.

If you will install the adjusters yourself, here is a link to the best instructions I used. Read through all 9 pages as many other vw owners added helpful advice. Oooh ... and make sure you get adjusters for bus beams since they are larger radius than beetle adjusters.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going the dropped spindles and fixed rear 2" drop spring plates route as I want to retain the ride comfort. This should be a DIY route for someone with basic mechanical skills rather than require welding and the like shouldn't it?

georgeyv said:

If I remember correctly I fitted standard length KYB GR2 shocks on the front, just to stiffen up the front slightly as I found it too bouncy. Standard shocks on the back work just fine IMO.

Webbaldo said:
Lowering is so 2015!, High riders are the new cool!

Plus not having to jack up the van for 95% of work underneath is good!

i would retort that it makes them look like tonka toys, but having just spent at least 3 days squeezed under my lowered bus on a sloping driveway trying to figure out my starter issue tonka toy seems appealing right now.

Looking at doing the same to my '71
Looking at dropped spindles
Which ones are best ?
Chris

Latest posts