71 Campmobile 70 back in action

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losthillsguy

Reaction score
I've turned a corner. I've wanted a Westy for a long time but couldn't find that "Good Deal" on a pre-67. So instead, now I'm a proud Bay Window owner.

This is a 1971, my buddy Todd tells me all the time that a 71 is the BEST year of the VW Bus. I purchased it from the original owner who bought it on the Tourist Program. An interesting twist is they picked it up in England instead of Germany.

They have all the paperwork from day one. 8)

864911.jpg

864912.jpg

Original Owners - kept the bus Amazingly unmolested. They just did routine maintenance and replaced the engine twice!
864927.jpg

I'm liking this car A LOT. I had fun today, spent all day cleaning the inside. It is coming back remarkably well. There is a lot of gluing of laminates that needs to be done.

Tent poles, childs cot, and tool kit.
865696.jpg

Tent (like new), original stakes, front curtain.
865697.jpg

Electrical cord, mosquito netting, also like new.
865698.jpg

865699.jpg

All the interior labels are in place.
865700.jpg

Tilley Two Burner Stove Made in England
Bought in England at the start of their trip.
865701.jpg

I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST

Things like this are much more likely to happen with an original owner car.

I had a hunch there would be something good under the carpet.

865707.jpg

865721.jpg

865719.jpg

Voila! The Original Linoleum Floor

Lots of elbow grease and it looks like new.

865717.jpg

865716.jpg

That's really nice Brian - really original and interesting history too! - just wondering have you had a look under the carpet yet (I'm thinking maybe the original vinyl / linoleum floor covering may be hiding under there!)

Fortunate Son said:
Wow - how spooky is that!! - just as I was typing you posted your find!! 8) 8) 8)

I think that comes under the category, "Great Minds Think Alike" :D

I've gone through all the mechanicals and it's running and driving really nice. I'm going to spot treat the exterior and buff the original paint. Inside I need to get out the glue and reattach a lot of the laminate. Also on the list is replace front seat upholstery, the pop top canvas, front windshield seal, and a few other rubber items that cooked in the heat. They don't call it Bakersfield for nothing!

Latest posts