TEFAL 70 High Top from Austria

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been as productive as I would have liked lately but I have been tinkering and getting stuff done in preparation for the MOT. Removed rear drums and found seized wheel cylinders so have ordered a pair which I will replace next time I'm at the workshop. All lights are now working, screen wash now working, sliding door rolling and shutting as it should. I know some people will question why but I have also removed "the potty"
I also removed the rotten stock exhaust. It looked like the original one from new and whilst I had no exhaust thought I would fit the replacement engine support bar that I had been sitting on for "the project"
pugepy5a.jpg

Before I removed the stock item I measured the clearance

You can clearly see the clearance gains that I am going to get compared to the stock support bar
va5y7u7a.jpg

The item is great quality and quite substantial (chunkier than it looks here)

eredagar.jpg

The new engine support bar fitted. Took a little jiggling but I put all the bolts in and got a bite on them before I tightened any of them up.

Talking of bolts, the two large bolts that locate in the casing were replaced with shorter bolts (30mm I think) and the smaller one was replaced with a slightly longer bolt
va3y2y6e.jpg

Stock bolts on the right and replacement bolts on the left

As above is that a home brewed version or one you acquired??

Looks good, Jake. Were you the one who beat me to that on ebay? :lol:

I am still looking for a cheap moustache bar to do this to. Got me a later style one ready, just don't want to butcher my existing engine mount!

I would say the new bar is made from early & late items. Early chassis mounts and late case mounts, I tried designing a similar thing when fitting my motor due to clearance issues with the header.

In the end I just cut the early bar about :lol:

You used to be able to get these :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1049081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(hope the link works)

Finally got back to the van after a long period of doing other stuff. I set the valve clearances, timing, replaced the plugs, points and adjusted the carb. Also put a secondhand standard exhaust on for the time being. It's now running spot on!
Also got back to the front notches. I decided to profile them to match the inside of the chassis to make a neater job.
rebupyda.jpg

Latest posts