'71 Deluxe oh Patina!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
allthewayalive said:
.. actually need to lift it up a spline in the back end.

That's a first for this site - some one actually highering their bus :shock:

Looking good ;)

allthewayalive said:
It's just a stocker bug muffler without tips. I was running a 'zoom tube' but the rear bumper wouldnt fit with it on there. I'll toss that in if you want it... It's pretty obnoxious but it's fun.

Mine is '67-'68 L 555 (43) titian red and the '71 is either L 30 H (68) montana red or L 31 H (03) chianti red, I don't remember offhand. I'll snap a picture of the M-plate tomorrow and send it to you.

Yes please, I'll have the 'zoom tube' if it's surplus to requirement. The kids will love it (including the big kid author!) :lol:

M plate would be great thanks G. Any luck with the slider handle and escuchen?

Looked it up:

Paint color Color upper part : L90D - Pastel White
Color lower part : L31H - Chianti Red

Zoom Tube is yours if you want it, but it does interfere with the bumper..A few good whacks with a hammer ought to fix it though.

Sent a picture of the Mplate, You can post it if you want to Chris.

gninnam said:
allthewayalive said:

Looking good ;)

Thanks man, she'll be a tank when I'm done. Here's the engine I'm preparing to install:

IMG_1144.jpg

Still need to fab up some window guards, roof basket, and cow catcher. Once I get the engine installed it's on.

allthewayalive said:
gninnam said:
allthewayalive said:

Looking good ;)

Thanks man, she'll be a tank when I'm done. Here's the engine I'm preparing to install:

IMG_1144.jpg

Still need to fab up some window guards, roof basket, and cow catcher. Once I get the engine installed it's on.

That looks to be a big lump there. No wonder you need to raise it up a notch or two G!

Here's the M plate you sent me. I was surprised to see the bus was produced on 23rd June 1971. With any luck this will be the date the bus begins it's journey to the UK in 2010!
And if it's a matching numbers bus like you say, then that's a real bonus!
mplate1.jpg

Engine # is AE430482. Don't know how to tell if it's original or not, but the shroud and AC brackets suggest it is.

That motor is a 2300cc from a Ford Pinto. It's not all that heavy, don't know how much heavier it is than a 1600. My '68 is already sagging pretty bad in the rear, it's sitting on the bumpstops after 515,000 miles with that heavy pop top and full camper kit. I want to find some commercial torsions to put in there in place of the passenger units, so I can get some extra rigidity, but I've heard that the '68 torsions are one year only. Anyone know about this? I have access to a couple of kombis, a '71 and a '77, for parts.

The deal is done :D Thanks G, you are a diamond geeza and a pleasure doing business with you. I'm pinching myself cos it feels like a dream. Can't wait for the day when she gets here :D

Don't know about the '68 only torsions, but I'm sure one of the guys on here will know.

allthewayalive said:
I want to find some commercial torsions to put in there in place of the passenger units, so I can get some extra rigidity, but I've heard that the '68 torsions are one year only. Anyone know about this? I have access to a couple of kombis, a '71 and a '77, for parts.

The '68 torsions are indeed one year only, just like the front beams. :? I don't know if they might be the same as Splitty torsions?

Good to read the deal is done! Congrats with you new (p)ride Barkafer! 8)

I have some '61 panel torsions I'll have to take a look at..Thanks. '68 is an oddball year on these things, but I sure love mine!

Deal is done, Just working out the paperwork. Chris, I know you're siked man, but I don't know if you are half as siked as my wife is about getting this bus out of the front yard..

:lol: I just can't wait to get started on the very little resto work needed to get this bus through it's MOT.
Going from the photo's, she needs a new battery tray, patches in both sides of the cab floor inc step, patched payload floor, stitch in the bulkhead and a brake caliper seal kit and new tail and headlights ofcourse.
That's about it. The plan is to get her ready for Vanfest in September.

Where are keeping your sons '73 or have you sold it?

Damn, two new babies in one month! Hopefully your eldest kids will be able to help out with diapers while you disappear into the garage :msn4:

Congrats man, on both accounts!

LEEP said:
Damn, two new babies in one month! Hopefully your eldest kids will be able to help out with diapers while you disappear into the garage :msn4:

Congrats man, on both accounts!

Thanks man! It's all goin on in this house! Hey, you only live once, I am making the most of it though :lol:
Alex and Ella, 15 and 13 will be on nappy duty, they don't know yet! He he! It's that or come and help in the garage.

I'll let you know when we get a delivery.

Whey Hey! The missus, she pop! Anna Barkhouse born this morning at 7.18 a.m. 8lb 8oz little bundle of gorgeuosness :D We got there at 7.11 so she was in a bit of a hurry! :shock: Mum and baby are doing well. Just awaiting one more delivery now :lol:

Barkafer said:
Whey Hey! The missus, she pop! Anna Barkhouse born this morning at 7.18 a.m. 8lb 8oz little bundle of gorgeuosness :D We got there at 7.11 so she was in a bit of a hurry! :shock: Mum and baby are doing well. Just awaiting one more delivery now :lol:

Congrats!! 7 mins later? Cutting it close - if you were in the bus she would have been born there, you cant rush un these can you?

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
Barkafer said:

Congrats!! 7 mins later? Cutting it close - if you were in the bus she would have been born there, you cant rush un these can you?

Cheers!

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, She was telling me to slow down anyway and avoid all the bumps! I did try to honest! :lol: You're right, I wreckon she would have popped in the Bus with the (slightly) lowered suspension and 50 mph cruising speed!
They are home now after a rough night (no sleep) in the Mat unit. All is well. :D

Cheers,

Chris.

Latest posts